5.0 out of 5 stars Real chips again
Like a couple of the other reviewers I haven't deep-fried a chip for years because of the smell and mess of a traditional deep fat fryer, never mind the dangers of the old style chip pan.

I actually first found out about this product by watching the Gadget Show and was blown away by the idea. First thing I did was check out the Internet for reviews and much to...
Published on 20 Dec 2007 by Clever Spud

1,126 of 1,137 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Be very Careful when it reaches 14 months plus
I bought one of these 21 months ago and was delighted with it. Chips were great even oven ready ones cooked evenly and crispy.
Then one day whilst cokking chips I was alerted to a burning plastic smell. I detected the source, the Actifry was melting, it was glowing red and black smoke poured from it and some flames started to appear. I switched off at the mains. it...
Published on 22 Oct 2009 by Norrie

‹ Previous | 1 2 399 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasted., 10 Nov 2009
Mr. S. Bedford "Angela Bedford" (Kingsley, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White, OLD (Kitchen & Home)
The Actifry is a can't live without kitchen appliance, however expect it to break. Many of the great reviews are from recent purchasers, I agree that this is a fantastic machine that does exactly what it claims. I am a careful person and have owned my Actifry for 15 months, the lid broke (hinge cracked and fell off) after 6 months luckily this was within the Tefals warrantee period, as they usually cost 40 + P&P for a new lid. Now the paddle has just broken, the Actifry won't work without it, they cost from 17.95 + P&P to replace, I'll have to pay for this, as Amazon won't cover this. I have read many reviews and have spoken to other owners, many have reported faults with cracked/misted/scratched lids, stained/fractured/snapped paddles, and sparks/fires from the machine. So make sure you buy from a retailer who offers an extended warrantee, if they charge it's worth paying for, just read the negative reviews on the internet, they're all about the poor level of manufacture rather than the machines ability to produce great food. I shall be buying a new machine (more money than sense I guess), I've decided to pay a little more and get it from John Lewis or Argos, I'll just wait for a good offer. If you're concerned that this appliance is expensive, then I wouldn't recommend you buy it, as you'll need to buy spares to keep the machine operatng, these are expensive, they amount to nearly the same price of the appliance.

1.0 out of 5 stars So dangerous., 20 Jan 2010
Mrs. N. Murray (Antrim) - See all my reviews
This machine,it is dangerous.I had one (which I used just a few times in 18 months)and when I switched it on the last time ,I heard a loud crack and smoke bellowed out of and then flames.It was a very frightening experiance,Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Electric Fryer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of smoke and fire!, 13 April 2010
C. Adams (London) - See all my reviews
Like other reviews, I've had this product 13 months now and use it perhaps twice a month for healthy chips - and very nice they are too, so no problems there.

However, at the weekend black smoke starting billowing from the back of the machine. Fortunately we were in the kitchen but given the kitchen's underneath my baby's bedroom, I shudder to think...

My mum is on to her 3rd unit for the same reason.

We contacted Tefal, who replied that it was out of warranty but they would give us money off another. Sorry, but does anyone else think that this isn't about warranty but about risk to property and, worse, life? Shame on Tefal!

Amazon, however, are being extremely good about this - well done Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Alternative, 4 Mar 2008
J. Mckenzie "Chig" (Bourton - On - The - Water) - See all my reviews
I was very dubious about buying an Actifry after reading the mixed reviews, but after using it a few times I'm won over.

One of the main benefits of this machine is the ability to cook 1kg of chips at once, and unlike a traditional fryer where you have to continually check progress, with the Actifry you pop the chips in, add a spoon of oil, set the timer, and you can happily leave it doing its thing while you do yours.

You have to make sure fresh chips are totally dry before you put them in or they do come out soggy. We also use a full spoon of oil and find this gives much tastier results.

It gives off very little smell while cooking, and after a hour or so you would have no idea chips had been cooked in your kitchen ( unlike a deep fat fryer that leaves a horrid linger for ages )

I agree the timer could be better and should switch off when the cooking time is up.

But apart from this its a great buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars TEFAL ACTIFRY, 15 Jun 2010
HJM (RYDE, ISLE OF WIGHT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Tefal Actifry in May 2009 after much hype. At first I was very pleased with it. The Actifry offers a new concept of cooking without using too much fat. And it produced great results for chips, potato wedges and also things like chicken breast etc and the cooking time is vastly reduced.

6-months after buying, the lid broke (the hinge completely sheared off) but to be fair Tefal replaced this without much hesitation although I had to send them copies of the original receipts etc.

The following March, the stirrer paddle snapped and again Tefal replaced this without much hesitation because it was still within the 1-year warranty.

In the June of 2010 (13-months after the date of purchase) I turned on the machine and it totally blew up.

On average I was using this machine once a week, at most.

Now I have the task of doing battle to get it replaced or refunded, as it falls outside the Manufacturer's 1-year guarantee. Tefal are referring me back to the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act. I must add at this point that I did not purchase it from Amazon.

From my own experience (and I see there are numerous negative reviews like mine) I would urge people NOT to buy this product. It is expensive for what it is and the actual build quality is very poor i.e. flimsy handles, very lightweight. And the machine does not turn off after completing the timed programmes so the food carries on cooking?

If I do not get my money back, I will put it down to a bad experience but at least I can warn other consumers from potentially wasting 100 - 150.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but very expensive, 25 May 2008
I bought one of these because it makes chips with very little oil and leaves no lingering smell. It does make very good chips if you follow instructions and are happy to wait 40 mins or so cooking time.
They say it does enough for 4 people- truth is it does enough for two at most. As it takes 35 to 40 mins to do another load its not going to help you feed the multitudes!
Its very expensive and would be more reasonably priced at less than half what is being charged. Its 'plasticky' and you get the sense it could break easily. Its also noisy. A lot more noisy than a 'fan oven' as referred to in another Review
A good point is that it is very easy to clean, even easier than I had anticipated.
As there is nothing else of similar nature on the market they are charging a premium-I reckon cheaper versions will appear in time as the basic idea is very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great cooker with a slight design flaw, 24 Dec 2007
David A. Greenhalgh (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
Everything that people have said is true. The Actifry really does what it says. Great for chips (I also use it to dry the chips) and I've made some of the recipes included with success. The timer is not only quiet the Actifry doesn't stop when the time is up. Better to use a kitchen timer. However, one of the clips holding the central portion to the base has just broken off and it seems to me this is very likely to happen to others. Possible one could get away with not removing this central part for cleaning. I will return the machine after Christmas and get another but I do think this will happen again.
SEE my comment on how the design has changed.
Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Review since Christmas!, 4 Jan 2008
S. Blake "Blakey_IOM" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
I have now tried skinny chips, chunky chips, potato wedges (with & without skins) and parsnips wedges. Boy have I been busy, NOT! Chop, wash, dry, place in actifry and walk away :) Everything has been crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. The cooking times have had to be worked out by myself depending on the volume cooked but 1kg would normally take me 45 mins (40 mins stated in the recipe book).

I have been 110% happy with the cooking results of the Actifry and today had my first meal using alternative carbs since receiving this as a Christmas present!

It's hard to estimate what 1kg of chips looks like but depending on what you're having with them whether it's enough for 2, or possibly 3 adults. Possibly enough for a small appetite family of 2 adults & 2 young kids.

The timer is VERY quiet and as other reviews have suggested I use the oven timer instead. This is the only part that actually needs improvement on the unit and as it's not electrical (it's battery operated) it therefore doesn't turn the actifry off when the timer is up. If you're in the kitchen when the timer goes off then you'll hear it but if in a different room watching the TV you'd miss it.

Even though the price is high for the actifry I would still reccommend ANYONE to buy this whether they are conscientious of their fat intake or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely enough..., 10 Sep 2008
P. V. Davis (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I haven't done what it's supposed to be best - Chips.

I've now had the Machine about three months and successfully cooked Bacon; Sausages; Mushrooms; Lamb chops and also roasted potatoes. I roast the Potatoes on their own but have done jointly, Chops and Sausages and Bacon and Sausages. Four Lamb chops and six Sausages will cook in around 25/30 mins.

It's a real boon and a lazy way of cooking but I would also advise that when initially cooking anything, to keep an eye on things because until initially "Oiled up" either in their fat in the case of Sausages and Chops or Oil with Potatoes or Chips, they can get stuck whilst being turned by the Paddle which risks breaking it, if not cleared.

Only other negative point is that the Timer doesn't halt the cooking and it's beeping is pretty feeble. Poor oversight by Tefal for such an expensive item. I use my own portable timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tefal ActiFry a little gem......., 21 Aug 2008
I purchased my ActiFry from Costco for about 103 and I still thought that was expensive for what it is. Although this fryer is good I don't think I could justify paying 150 for it. I always use olive oil for everything and this fryer is no exception. It makes great chips, really tasty and that's without any seasoning...going to try nut oil next time! It's so easy to use and only two parts need to be removed for cleaning purposes and these are dishwasher safe. It's quite large so you will need to find a good size drawer or shelf for this fryer although it's not heavy which is a bonus. One thing to be aware of... in the middle of making chips I also threw in some scampi pieces and when the fryer had finished some of the bread crumbs had come off during the cooking process so it looks like it doesn't like a combination of items which may crumble easily. Oh and 1KG of chips goes a long way probably enough for three medium sizes portions. I love the idea of placing the chips in this fryer and safely walking away for 35 mins....brilliant!!! I'm not one for buying items which I consider gimmicks but I was surprised at how good this frier is.

‹ Previous | 1 2 399 | Next ›