5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
Upon hearing Foundations for the first time on the radio, I did think it was Lily Allen, I can't deny it. But I was informed it was Kate Nash, who I'd never heard of. I rushed off to get the album and was shocked.

Published on 7 Jan 2008 by Ms. J. K. Wood-mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been braver!
Published on 10 Aug 2007 by Lou

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 7 Jan 2008
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)

Innocent and wise, beautiful but ugly, pure truth and fun, with laughter and so much personality it would fill a small country, Made Of Bricks is the best album I have listened to in 2007.

Of course, there are a couple of dud tracks, but I can still happily listen to the entire album without needing to skip anything.

I personally don't think Nash released anything like her best songs- Mouthwash and Pumpkin Soup have grown on me since their releases, however, the songs which struck me the first time I listened are unlikely to ever be heard by anyone who doesn't buy this album.

Birds and Nicest Thing are quietly beautiful, whereas We Get On, Merry Happy and Mariella are bursting with fun with a bittersweet aftertaste.

These 5 songs make this album for me. The rest of the album is still brilliant by most standards, however, it is these songs I think she should be remembered for.

Having said that, I can honestly say that I listen to this album straight through, regardless of my mood or anything. I was shocked at how easy it was to listen to and like this album.

Made Of Bricks is the album that we need today, it summarises many, many issues in life without necessarily being specific about them. Personally, I feel that Kate Nash has reached and touched a whole generation.

On the other hand, if you can't stand her singles, you're unlikely to like this album.

NB: If you're looking for gutsy, pouty, cynical view of the world (ie Lily Allen's debut....), you are in the wrong place. Kate Nash is the light to Lily Allen's dark view of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
Bought this after seeing her do foundations on jools holland. I didnt have any expectations having not read any of the press about her or reading any reviews.

I think its an excellent debut, the music is eclectic and I like her phrasing. Not sure i'd agree its aimed at teenagers, im 30 and can easily relate to it.

Comparisons with lily allen dont stand up for me - It reminds me of Ben Folds Five & Belle & Sebastian in places in its quirky story telling pop. She comes accross as very honest and open and there are some wonderful insights into her thoughts.

She doesnt take herself too seriously and if you dont take this album too seriously theres lots to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The English Suzanne Vega (no, really), 25 Mar 2008
A. Key "Electric Monk" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
Weird, quirky, poignant, intermittently inspired. Sounds like an English equivalent of Suzanne Vega's early albums (think Tom's Diner, Marlene on the Wall). The next album will be either a flop or a work of genius. This one's worth your time though.

And if you don't know who Suzanne Vega is, look her up on Amazon *NOW*. Go on, get on with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars you'll either love it...or hate it..., 11 Mar 2008
J. Smith "jaybme" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
this is the general view i get from looking at reviews, hearing what my friends think of the album, and from the critics themselves...it all comes down to what your musical taste is...its a shame that kate nash has been compared to other artists, because in my view she's nothing like them...alot of her album is random, and fun...as an artist, i respect her greatly for making an actual change to the britpop you hear nowadays...in terms of whether you buy her album or not, you'd have to listen to the samples at first, and remember not to take it too seriously, especially tracks like mouthwash...and listen to the music, and the fact that she has fun with her lyrics rather than drone on about depressing stereotypes...you'll decide from there...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Said, What???, 5 Dec 2007
P. Lycett "omd81" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
Best Album i have heard in a very very very long time!! I am 26 and thought this album would not appeal to me in the way that is does! Kate Nash is a breath of fresh air, my first reaction when i heard the opening track play was ah, I'm not sure I will like this but from then on in it was making me smile and shout out loud how much I love both the album and Kate. I am now in the process of booking my tickets to go and see her live!! Thank you, I now know what music in the 21st Century is all about!

BTW Ma re ella is the best song on the album ever ever ever ever ever!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first effot, 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
Although I would not describe this as the absolute best album of 2007 I think it is definatly worthy of note. I would think that if you were'nt a fan of foundations this album is not worth your money, other tracks that stand out are "mouthwash", "mariella" "merry happy" and "skeleton song". Some parts of it may seem a little slow to exhibit themselves but overall I think the album is very good and I look forard to more from Kate Nash.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been braver!, 10 Aug 2007
Lou (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this girls stuff for a while now and have, at times been blown away by her work. This album is good - but it could have been GREAT. Take the song "Birds" for example, if you are lucky enough to unearth the live version on the "caroline's a victim" single, you'll hear a heartstoppingly beautiful and tender song of clumsy young love. This album's version of "birds" is horribly overproduced and loses everything that the song is about in the process.
That sums up a lot of this album, however there are some songs here that showcase Nash's quirky style a treat, Mariella, Foundations and Nicest Thing being the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange Album, 26 Sep 2009
J. Creighton (Haverhill, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I really like artists that use vocals as an instrument and Kate Nash does this perfectly. Its a weird album, that Ive listened to repeatedly im not sure if I like it, I do know I dont dislike it, sounds contradictory I know but its one of those rare albums to hit the mainstream that I think you could almost call experimental. Im buying a second copy as my first was stolen from my car, teh thieves left other albums but took this one. Says a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, 22 July 2008
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I never write reviews, but as this album has received wildly differing opinions I thought I would add mine. I love it. It's got lots of energy and the lyrics are interesting without getting too abstract. She is nothing like anything else out there, Lily Allen included (although she is great too), so don't try to compartmentalise. Just enjoy it. It's my most listened to album of the last 12 months as I can identify with the moods instilled by these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the bad reviews, 7 Dec 2007
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I eventually brought this album despite nearly being put off by the negative reviews.

It was delivered yesterday and its amazing.

I'm 34 so way over the albums 'target' audience and love it!

It may be 'aimed' at teenagers but to overlook it because of that would be a grave mistake.

I brought this and Lily Allens album at the same time and they have huge differences,I must say I prefer this one of the two.

The best track is 'the nicest thing'- a ballad of unrequited love that is so easy to relate to, it sounds very 'Kate Bush' (instrumentally not lyrically/vocally) particularly near the end, reminds me very much of 'Love and Anger' and is very haunting....'mouthwash,'birds' and 'mariella' are the other high points.

This is a great album full of a variety of emotions, it fun, quirky, comic in many places, sassy but underneath all that it has a lot of undertones to resentment, disappointment and apathy.

Only wish I'd got it sooner rather than deliberating.

Made of Bricks
Made of Bricks by Kate Nash (Audio CD - 2007)