5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my word - this is good
Published on 12 Nov 2007 by Peter Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Tubular Spheres
I really wanted to rate this album. Despite Mike Oldfield's current status as an Alan Partridge favourite...that is a bit naff and uncool...Some of my all time favourite albums have been created by the moody Ibiza exile...TB,Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Distant Earths etc.
In the last few years, Mike has been knocking out a series of pretty mediocre albums and it was...
Published on 18 Mar 2008 by Clem Fandango

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my word - this is good, 12 Nov 2007
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I grew up in a house where my Dad was a huge Mike Oldfield fan, and I remember him excitedly rushing home with his latest album, putting it on the hi-fi, and then we would sit there and listen to it, waiting for him to pass judgement. His enthusiasm rubbed off on me, and as the years passed we would both listen to the albums separately, then reconvene to discuss what we had heard. For me, "Amarok" has been his finest album, followed by "Ommadawn", but this album is right alongside them.

The first thing that must be said is that "Music of the Spheres" is NOT "Tubular Bells 4", and although it immediately sounds like Oldfield you soon realise that the entire album is orchestral and there is little, maybe even no guitar on there, so don't expect wailing electric guitars, but do be prepared for strings, brass, and choirs. Right from the start is is clear that this is an Oldfield album but the orchestration is simply gorgeous. The album is split into two halves, a Hayley Westenra vocal ending the first "side", and the rousing "Musica Universalis" bringing the second to a close, a few of his trademark tubular bells popping up towards the end.

Critisicms? The album is only forty five minutes long and could easily have been much longer, but what we have here is just perfect. Oldfield's best album in years, and I really can't wait to hear the album again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mike Oldfield album every fan's been waiting for !, 7 Feb 2008
A. J. Blakemore (Southampton,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
Having been a great fan of Mike Oldfield's music since 1973 (!) I've never really been disapointed with any thing he's done but as with all genuinely creative artists ,their careers have their high points and low points.
Mike Oldfield is no exception and although it's been a long time coming ,'Music of the Spheres' is definately one of the high points in his long career.This is Mike Oldfield at his very best.
When I first heard he was creating an orchestral peice of music with no electric guitar my main concern was that it wouldn't sound like Mike Oldfield.I've always thought that Mike's distictive sound came from the fact that, apart from his unique electric guitar style he generaly plays nearly every instrument himself thus giving each peice his own unique'musical voice'.
Where 'Music of the Spheres'succeeds is that although apart from some beautiful acoustic guitar played by Mike,the music is played via an orchestra but some how has that unmistakable Mike Oldfield 'sound-scape'you would expect to hear if he'd played everything himself.
From the opening bars of Harbinger to the last notes of Musica Universalis this is classic Mike Oldfield of a quality we haven't heard Mike produce in many ,many years.
At its very best Mike's music has an almost addictive quality about it.Sadly this quality has been lacking in recent years but here he's back with a piece of music that in parts is so beautiful it will send shivers down your spine and bring tears to your eyes !
This is the Mike Oldfield album I've been waiting so long for,brilliant in its composition and construction.Music that inspires and moves you with flashes of genuine genius.Anyone who thought that 'Tubular Bells' or 'Ommadawn' were the pinical of Mike Oldfield's career listen to this.
My only hope now is that we all get the chance to see it performed live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not "Classical" but certainly a classic !, 17 Mar 2008
mariopops "Andy Rogers" (SOLIHULL, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I have to diagree with two earlier reviews,i.e. a one star review from someone who has given one star in 6 of his last 10 review items so is obviously very hard to please , likewise a two star review from someone who gives 5 stars to 1953 reissues of Janacek and Mahler.. doubtless very good in their way but that is isn't the audience this album is aimed at! Having payed the album twice with "open ears" I am happy to say this is Classic Oldfield : it just happens to be played by an Orchestra with the man himself taking a bit part on accoustic guitar. Any Oldfield fans ,especially those from the early days, will rejoice in this album as a return to form...In particular if you liked the Orchestral version of Tubular Bells then you should click the buy button immediately . In summary - clasical? possibly not , but classic- yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stirring stuff!, 12 May 2008
Mr. John F. Myhill "freethyboy" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I love Mike Oldfield's music, and especially his repetitions and reworkings of familiar themes, something I know some reviewers see as lazy and/or boring, but I find the restatements and variations fascinating, and I love it when an almost familar tune from one album becomes something quite different on another. This is a fabulous example of taking Oldfield melodies old (and new) and taking them somewhere spectacular (well, outer space to be exact). I found this very stirring as well as beautifully restful, and it's wonderful to write to.

If you're new to Mike's music thanks to the new exposure he's got from Classic FM for this, can I suggest you also try his Millennium Bell which is similarly stirring and melodic, but with a dash of club music as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master Returns, 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
Tubular Bells was the first album I ever bought. When Tubular Bells II was released, I confess I refused to listen to it - how could you better the original? Foolish me!!
I DID eventually get TB II and have bought every album since. The thing about Mike Oldfield is that his music gets under your skin.
Each album sounds different but familiar - you can sense Tubular Bells behind everything he has written and this is no exception ... but I think this is what always draws me in. The melodies are, at once, ethereal and in your face. When you have the beautiful voice of Hayley Westenra in the mix as well, you cannot fail to fall for this latest work of a man whose music I can't imagine being without.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really classical, but still grand!, 13 Nov 2007
TrickeyMickey (Canterbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I've listened to a 45-minute promo copy several times now. To begin with, it seemed a bit 'cod' classical - like a Mike Oldfield album arranged by Adiemus. However, after about 6 listens I really began to love it! OK, it's got some obvious borrowings from TB1 and Crises, but the melodies are gorgeous, it doesn't get ponderous and there's passion aplenty. Thankfully, the Oldfield of recent jingles albums has been replaced by the man behind Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge, and you can't get better than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldfield Matures, 19 Mar 2008
M. Scullion - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
Having been an avid listener of all Oldfield albumns I find myself compelled to write my first review ever for this album. The collaboration between Karl Jenkins ( an orchestral maestro in his own right)and Oldfield has produced one of the best pieces of music i have heard for ages. If an artist who is used to the wide-ranging format a modern studio can provide and adapt a piece to this format (orchestral) shows true skill.

The Album consists a variety of melodic themes taken from all of his tubular bells albums and orchestrated with additional melodic and rhythmic development. If you are looking for Oldfield's classic guitar playing you will not be disappointed....acoustic guitar subtly mixed into orchestral variations. Hearing the main theme of tubular bells with harp and strings is superb. Vocals another oldfield strong point is added with a superb female soloist and chorus as key points in the pieces.

For those who wish to see Oldfield in a different light then this is the album of choice.....musically Oldfield has matured into a new format, stunning! For those who love Nyman and similar artists then this new Oldfield will provide you witha new direction to go in!

Stunning!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Oldfield, Jim, but not as we know it !, 20 Mar 2008
Steve Roscoe "Steve R" (Wigan, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Oldfield fan, have been for years. I'm also a fan of Karl Jenkins and Adiemus, and I'm also partial to a bit of classical music, especially 'The Planets', so when I heard who was involved in this album, and the fact it was being compared to 'The Planets, you could imagine I was a tad looking forward to this one, and I wasn't disappointed.

Lets face it, if you only like your Oldfield all guitars and synths, you are probably going to be disappointed, but listen a bit deeper into this and all Oldfield traits are there. Beautiful chordal structures and melodies, plus fantastic guitar playing, as usual.

The whole album has a film score feel, like a good Hans Zimmer composition, but with Aaron Copeland thrown in for good measure. People, please stop the TB comparisions. OK, so the opening movement is reminisent of the TB opening, but there the comparisons should finish, as this is something totaly different and unique.

This is good, really good, enjoy. Oh, the only reason I've only rated this as 4* and not 5* is because 5* is reserved for Ommadawn only. As one reviewer once wrote about Mike Oldfield, Ommadawn was the album he was put on the planet to record.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 20 Mar 2008
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
OK having now listened to the album and read the reviews here I think I have been listening to a different album. This album is Mike Oldfield at his best, the music is accessably, very thought provoking and very polished. Yes there are some reminders of TBs but that not a bad thing. I like the concept of the album and totaly agree with what he says in the interview, good music is more than music, it's an emotional experience. Get it now it's that good and also wizz over to ITunes and download the live version it's worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best work in years, 7 Nov 2007
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I was able to obtain 6 tracks of this album from the Internet. Aurora and Prophacy are my favs in what I got. I like how the music flows one track to the next. If the rest of the tracks are as good as the 6 I have, I think this will be his the best album since "Five Miles Out" was released in 1982. I have found no date for release in the United States yet, so I will probably get a UK copy.

Music Of The Spheres
Music Of The Spheres by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2008)