4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and good value
Published on 7 Jun. 2010 by Mr. L. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but rickety and not very powerful.
Published on 16 July 2011 by Entrigo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and good value, 7 Jun. 2010
Mr. L. Thompson "Laurie Thompson" (Carluke, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Severin Universal Food Slicer In Black/Silver (Kitchen & Home)
This is the first electric slicer we have owned and it performs up to expectations. Bought (via Amazon) from German supplier, it arrived with 3-pin adaptor for UK mains. Setting up is simple, since the base folds down from the main part. There are suction pads to hold it firmly. The item being sliced is held firmly between the base and the push-plate and it is possible to slice bread, cold meat and cheese rapidly and at varied thicknesses (up to 20mm). The motor (150W) seems powerful enough for our purposes and we have experienced no difficulty in cutting through anything tried to date. We are pleased with this smart-looking piece of kitchen equipment, which packs away quite compactly. The body of the device is plastic throughout, but seems robust enough for domestic use. A small improvement would be the printing or moulding of a scale to indicate the thickness in use, but this is a niggle only since it is not difficult to judge. Cleaning is easy, although great care is needed when handling the very sharp serrated blade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for slicing bread, 18 Oct. 2010
N. Grainger (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Purchased on the strength of a more powerful motor than some of the entry level slicer, some of which were described as being a bit weedy.

I have never heard of this brand before, but initial impressions are encouraging.

The slicer is easy to assemble and use, and there is a handy gauge to allow you to decide the thickness of your slices. The maximum thickness is 20mm, which would be a very thick slice of anything.

I've baked a number of different loaves of bread (granary, white etc.) some of which have quite tough crusts. The blade sliced through them seemingly without effort, and the path for the cut bread isn't too sharp so the slices don't get stuck or torn easily.

The maximum in-service time before cool-down is suggested as being 10 minutes, but since a loaf takes perhaps two minutes this is no great issue. Once you're done, it's simple to disassemble and clean the slicer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, compact, and feature-filled, 26 Sept. 2011
This is exactly what we were looking for. My wife bakes her own bread and produces 2-3 loaves a week. Slicing those by hand was the only downside of having home-baked bread.
This machine allows us to quickly slice the bread to a consistent thickness and then fold it flat and put it away.
Regarding cleaning, the blade is easily removed and washed. For the rest of the unit, I'd recommend using a dry brush to sweep away the crumbs.
One thing I didn't notice until this morning is the ruler at the front of the unit allowing you to check the current thickness setting.
The manual notes that the slicer shouldn't be used for more than 10 minutes at a time because it's designed for low volume use and the motor should rest between uses. This doesn't affect me at all but it might be of significance to you when deciding whether to buy the unit.

*** UPDATE ***
Over two years later this machine is still a reliable workhorse. We're still cutting two to three loaves every week and it's still fantastic! We've stopped using the tray lock that holds the fold-out bottom in place (it's perfectly stable without locking its position) and I have nothing about this product that I'd change.
Experiment with the thickness setting to find the measurement with which you're most comfortable and enjoy perfectly sliced bread.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but rickety and not very powerful., 16 July 2011
This is an ok product, but nothing to write home about. It is very practical as it folds for easy storage, so if you have little space, it's perfect. But as a food slicer, it's not the best. If it is slicing bread and cheese you're after, than this item should do the trick for you, but when slicing cured meats (as I do in abundance), then the engine struggles a little. Also, the slicing trolley seems a bit of a joke to be honest, just loosely placed on top of the plastic tray on the right of the blade, making for very unstable slicing. Considered for just £6 more you could buy a solid metal one like the one belowAndrew James Electric Precision Food Slicer 19cm Blade well, I feel I could have spent my money much more wisely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 2 May 2009
This is the 3rd food slicer I have had and is definately the best. All the parts come apart for ease of cleaning and it has rubber feet to stop movement on the worktop. There is a tray to catch the slices. One thing to note is that this slices from right to left unlike my previous slicers. Also, if you press the button down it stays in place to make it easy to cut several slices, but you will need to be more careful in use. It is very sharp and thickness can be varied with ease. I mainly use mine to cut bread which it is very effective at, and the bread doesn't get stuck either.

5.0 out of 5 stars severin allesschneider food slicer, 3 Dec. 2010
I was very pleased with this food slicer its light weight, compact and easy to clean unlike some of the reviews of the other more well known slicers.I hadnt heard of this make so was taking a gamble when I bought it but Im glad I did, its slices well and was a reasonable price and I would definately recommend it for normal household use although not sure regarding heavy duty use as I havent used it that way but there are ones on the market designed for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bread Slicer, 19 May 2011
S. Parrish (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Never heard of this German brand but went for it based on other reviews. It is brilliant! We make about 3 or 4 loaves of bread a week in our bread maker and this ensures that the slices are nice and even. It's really easy to use and clean and folds away for storage. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty happy so far..., 18 Sept. 2012
I actually bought this through the German Amazon site, as they sell it in Red/black, which matches my kitchen. It arrived very quickly (3 days from Germany), well packaged, and was very easy to set up. I don't know if it's different if bought from the UK site, but mine came with a continental 2 pin plug (Which I expected, buying from Germany, and no issue to me), but I already had an adapter plug ready and waiting, but do be aware in case they all are 2 pin.

It's not the biggest blade going, but I have a small kitchen with equally small storage space, so the fact that it is very compact when folded, means more to me than the larger blades on some of the slicers available. I have so far tried it on a roast ham, fresh bread and cheese, all of which have posed no problem and it has preformed pretty well. The soft rubber feet on both the cutting section and the sliding table make it nice and stable on my kitchen worktop, and I also liked the fact that you can lock the power switch on, which does mean an additional element of care, but preferable for me than having to keep the power button constantly depressed, as on many other slicers.

Cleaning is easy, I'm an engineer by trade and really appreciated the design that has gone into this machine, it is very simple and quick to strip down into individual components so you can be as thorough as you like with cleaning. Everything just clips or screws together very simply.

It folds up into a very compact unit so is great for storage, and the catcher tray and sliding guide thingummies all detach simply so can be stored with the unit or somewhere more convenient if required.

All in all, very happy with it so far. I'll try and remember to update when I've given it some serious usage. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the blade is a little smaller than some of the machines around. Still OK to cut a standard sized bread loaf, so not too small, but if they made it 25mm larger it would be perfect. My large gammon joint needed a quick bisection so it would fit within the blade range, but that's not a big issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars bread slicing made easy, 22 Aug. 2010
Severin allesscheider Food slicer
Having bought a bread making machine I thought it wouldn't take much effort to slice the results by hand!' What a mistaka to maka'.To quote from 'Allo Allo'.This food slicer is ideal for cutting home made bread, and I agree with someone elses comments that all breadmakers should include a slicer in the price. Some machines require you to keep your finger pressing the on button, but this one you can lock down and have two hands free to manoeuvre the bread. It's easily cleaned and compact and the thickness can easily be altered.Good quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Severin Food Slicer, 10 Dec. 2011
This item comes from Germany,yet it was received only 36 hours after ordering.It is very stylish in its black and silver design.Very easy to use,and an absolute boon if you suffer from arthritic hands or similar.Produces slices to match any butcher or supermarket cold meats, and is variable up to 20mm for thick slices of bread ,meat ,cheese etc.There is a lockable operation switch so no need to keep your finger on the button when in use allowing both hands to be used.Whilst it looks awkward to clean,it is not, it turns out to be really easy ,the sections taking apart to allow washing .Highly recommend this product,excellent value for money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›