Becoming Jane [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£5.75+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 23 December 2007
Well it passes a reasonably pleasant couple of hours - but Jane Austen it is not! Forget the Austen connection and then it is possible to enjoy what is a light romantic film, though I think casting Anne Hathaway as an Englishwoman in the Regency period is laughable: she is altogether too modern in her way of speaking and walking. Entirely unconvincing as Jane Austen - too much Hollywood gloss!

There are some good things about the film - the photography and the music especially. As far as the acting goes, I thought Anna Maxwell Martin stood out as Cassandra.

It is not worth a second viewing though.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 January 2012
I have been truly impressed by the plot, the scenery, the characters and the acting. Totally moved by the intense and strong love story between Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy! Whenever I saw them dancing, kissing or looking into each other's eyes, I was completely enchanted by the magic created by those moments. This Blue-ray edition is fantastic, I can't really make a comparison with the dvd release, cause I own just the Blue-ray version. I only can say that the picture quality is in high definition, as well as the colours and the sound. Even if I don't really know Jane Austen much, I want to know more about her, so I'm going to read her seven novels!
The movie is well-made, and Anne Hathaway really resembles Jane Austen!

I advise you to buy Becoming Jane (ESPECIALLY IN BLUE-RAY, AS THE PRICE IS VERY CHEAP, LESS THAN 4 POUNDS!!! GREAT!!!), because this is a very good portrait of the female question, which will be much stronger in Charlotte Bronte: "to live by your pen/living by your writing"; live without depending economically by a man, even though this means giving up on love.
on 7 June 2013
I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen's works, so I ended up buying this before ever seeing it (despite it's mixed reviews).

Some "Janites" have criticized this movie based on Jane Austen's life (perhaps for some valid reasons).

Now, if you're expecting this is a fully accurate biography- you're wrong- so be advised. And if you're looking for the type of ending Miss Austen wrote for the heroines in her novels, be on your guard.
I already knew this going into it, since I've seen several biographies on Jane (search "The Real Jane Austen" by the BBC).

But you'll likely enjoy the movie if you like the following:
1. Costume/Period Drama's (particularly the Regency era)
2. Anne Hathaway (Princess Diaries 1 & 2, Ella Enchanted, Devil Wears Prada, etc.)
3. James McAvoy (*small role* Lorna Doone, Penelope, Atonement, etc. )

It's a fact that Miss Austen did have some sort of a romantic interest in "Tom" Lefroy - an up and coming barrister. To what extent it's not really known, since Jane instructed her sister Cassandra to destroy the majority of her letters containing his mention after her death.
This movie speculates that it was more than just a crush on either end. And it uses little bits and pieces of info, to connect the dots.

Another thing that might irk fans, is that one of the movies main motto's is that their romance is "what inspired her novels". The thing is, Jane had been turning out small masterpieces for her family since she was around 12 (search "Jane Austen juvenilia"). So it's not as if she got some harebrained idea to write after she met Tom!

POSSIBLE MOVIE SPOILERS:

Also, the writer(s) inject bits of her novels into the storyline & characters (maybe a little too much). Now, it's not a far stretch of the imagination to say that she could have gotten idea's from the people in her actual life, and turned them into her fictional characters. But it's no-brainer which of the films characters are JA's novel counterparts.

The thing that may most be confusing to viewers is that "Mr. Wisley" (who is their version of Harris Bigg-Wither), and "Lady Gresham" ("Wisley's" aunt- who is obviously the mirror immage of "Lady Catherine DeBourgh"/Mr. Darcy's aunt in P&P), only serve to further the plot.
In actuality, Mr. Bigg-Wither did indeed propose to Jane, but not during the time this movie was supposed to take place (in Dec. 1795- Jan. 1796)!
_______

I feel that overall Anne was a worthy choice for Miss Austen. Not only does she look the part, but her method acting is brilliant! To try and best emulate the accent she moved there a month beforehand. She also took the time to learn the piano for just 2 small scenes. And even surpassed the writing teacher to bring Miss Austen's famous words to life!

This was only the 2nd movie I had seen James McAvoy in (the first was only a small role); so I had little to base his acting on. But, in this particular movie, I think he establishes himself fit as a leading man, and has quite an emotional depth about him!

The majority of the cast are also equally suited. Anna Maxwell Martin (Cassandra) is a very talented actress whom I've especially enjoyed in other period productions (specifically the BBC's "North & South", and "Bleak House" miniseries).

The cinematography is gorgeous (despite it being shot in Ireland, and not England). And the soundtrack very complimentary!

In conclusion, while the film may not be a totally accurate biography; I felt it nicely embodies Jane Austen as a person. I'm certainly glad I chose to add it to my collection of period drama's!

If you're interested in seeing more of Jane Austen captured on film (particularly her later years), you may also enjoy "Miss Austen Regrets".
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I would often like to have a dual or triple star system with which to review. Films which purport to be historically based, e.g. "Becoming Jane" suggests it is autobiographical, have a certain responsibility to be accurate with historical facts, even if we know the dialogue and some other aspects will be creative.

As a film, I enjoyed this (despite some accents); it has a real flavour of the eighteen hundreds and creates the characters well, despite some uninspiring dialogue which certainly does not reach the inspired level of Austen's own. However, in some ways, Jane Austen (1775-1817) and Thomas Langlois Lefroy (1776-1869) an Irish-Huguenot politician and judge, seem to breath again, although I found McAvoy the more believeable of the two but, perhaps, Hathaway suffers from over-exposure; the film has its memorable moments ... and a few others memorable for other reasons.

Is it historically accurate? The known facts seem to suggest not. Does it capture some of the flavour of the meetings of these two very successful people in their different ways - probably.

In a letter started on Thursday (14 January 1796), and finished the following morning, there was another mention of him. "At length the day is come on which I am to flirt my last with Tom Lefroy, and when you receive this it will be over. My tears flow as I write at the melancholy idea."

As an evening at the cinema, it was enjoyable - no classic and no historical document either. However, my wife enjoyed it.
on 1 December 2012
I love Period dramas and was looking forward to this film after reading all the good reviews. It is just awful, the main reason is they have cast an american actress (Anne hathaway) as jane - why?? all of the brilliant english actress and they cast her. Her accent is just horrible and regularly slips back to american.
The other actors are good, but i just couldnt bear to watch anne hathaway and lasted about 30mins.
on 1 April 2014
The author has imagined what might have happened to Jane Austin to enable her to produce some of her masterpieces and so its plot incorporates some moments that are similar and some sentences that are straight out of Jane Austin's greatest works.
The actors are good looking, the whole thing is well thought out and well played and altogether a pleasant piece. I gave one to a friend and it was well received.
on 20 April 2007
I was very very moved by this movie, I then started to dig Jane Austen's works afterwards. Yes Sire, yes Ma'am, I realize it wasn't a biopic - James McAvoy clearly stated that in the BBC interview. But I believe in the premise that Jane Austen once loved someone (i.e. Tom Lefroy) so much, she was very much influenced by her experience in love that she produced such lovely novels.

Regarding the rather slow paces of the movie, I did not find so. For instance, though 'Emma' was funny, it was also verrry sloooo[...] I almost fell asleep the last 10 minutes - no offense... Yet, 'Becoming Jane' wasn't like that. It glued me since the first scene, and the chemistry between Anne Hathaway's Jane Austen and James McAvoy's Tom Lefroy was so thick... you can cut it with a knife or eat it with a spoon... (you know what I mean...). Anne's Jane Austen was very convincing, and I was so glad she did a very good British accent there, because she's one of my favourite actresses. And James McAvoy - needless to say, he's just brilliant! He makes you love Tom Lefroy.

And the music. Ah... such music! I've just got the soundtrack CD, and treasured it immediately.

Watch the movie if you haven't. Again, it's not a biopic. Rather, it attempts to connect historical dots of JA's life into a very moving motion picture based on Jon Spence's book ('Becoming Jane Austen', also in my pull list). IMO, the director, crews and the casts made it. The movie is a must-see movie for Austenians and non-Austenians who loves period drama. The DVD is a must have for me, and I'm considering it at the same level, at least, with Sense and Sensibility, if not more.
on 23 September 2007
I love Jane Austen's books and have read them all, some more than once. I also love watching period dramas. And I must say that this film does not cut it for me. I really don't think I'll even remember it in a year or so. Why exactly I don't know. I normally like Anne Hathaway (I've enjoyed her other funny movies), but here she wasn't really convincing, not like Jennifer Ehle in P&P for example. James McAvoy was good, but still, not enough to save the film.. Maybe it was in the directing. The first 15 minutes or so, where we see the wild ways of the handsome lawyer, were hectic and hard to follow. There was a forced quality in the film. Not at all on par with BBC dramas like "North and South" or "P&P".. (Let me mention that I also did not like the Keira Knightley version of P&P, so if you did, maybe you should disregard my comments.)
on 13 October 2011
I ended up watching this on TV for lack of anything else on. Not that I'm averse to Jane Austens' period dramas, I'm quite addicted. However, this being more a biography, I expected it to be quite dull by comparison.

In contrast, I found this better than any of the Austen novel dramatisations, not least of all because we learn why the books are written the way they are. We even get an explanation of certain storylines as some of the situations occur to Austen herself. It is widely known that Austen never married, here we learn why. I learned that the tragedy of Miss Austens' life is that the happy endings in her books were a poor substitute for the happy ending she sacrificed for the sake of others.

This is every bit as gripping, romantic and expertly scripted as the novel dramatisations. It just doesn't have a happy ending and happens to be a true story. I found it so touching that I immediately ordered the DVD so I may watch and weep whenever I feel the need, and the book which I am immensely looking forward to.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This film was a good insight into the life of a great author. My wife and I enjoyed the pace and quality of the acting peformances. Even though you knew the end you just kept watching and from the film you could see how some of her own experiences created characters for her books. Well done to the director and actor well worth the purchase price.