1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and functional. Not top of the range but good for the average user., 25 Sep 2008
Ms. N. Devadoss (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LINDY USB VoIP Phone for Skype (Electronics)
I won't lie, I got this phone purely because my bedroom's red and black. As a student who uses Skype to phone family and friends as it has replaced my landline, I find that this phone 100% meets my needs. It automatically imports you Microsoft Outlook contacts so you quickly accumulate a lot. The Skype interface doesn't really let you prioritise or group contacts well, the speed dial has been really useful. The fact that picking up the handset makes the Skype interface pop up is useful too, the handset doesn't have a screen so you can follow your dialling etc on the computer screen. The sound is loud and clear with my volume only set at 50% of its maximum capacity and people report that they can hear me clearly as well. The ringer is loud enough to hear from downstairs. I don't mind that it's not cordless but I know some people might.

The drawbacks are slight. The main thing is it feels really light and cheap, which doesn't affect its performance, it's an aesthetics issue. I saw it advertised elsewhere as 'wall mountable', which I would have much preferred. Although the base is designed for this with screw-holes, the handset's cradle isn't deep enough so the handset hangs off the base like a person rocking back on their heels. Not attractive, so it's sat on my desk. The phone acts like speakers so when it's plugged in youtube etc dredirects through that. It's my fault I realise, but the way to change that as a setting is uclear and brings me to my biggest gripe: The installation CD freezes a lot and tends to choke and die before I load up the PDF file with the instructions on it. Not a big deal as the majority is self explanatory, but a pain in the bum for the speaker issue I just mentioned.

But once set up it's been running like a dream. Definitely recommended.

LINDY USB VoIP Phone for Skype