4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this camera!
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by A. V. Barnett-Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad picture quality
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by J. Carson

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this camera!, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
I read the reviews on this camera before buying it and decided that durability and ease of use were more important than picture quality - not least because it was to be a present for my 4yr old, but his 2yr old little brother was bound to use it, so it had to be tough enough to cope with a toddler. We opened and experimented with it before giving it to our son, so we knew how to get decent images (Hold it still, make sure there's plenty of light - natural if possible - and don't get too close), and could coach him.

My son is utterly delighted with it. Both boys have taken decent pictures with it, and my 4yr old was familiar with the main functions within minutes. he can snap away with it and has produced a lovely record of his typical day, and what interests him. He's never had a computer console, so he's just as pleased with the (very basic) games as with the camera.

It is only really camera phone quality, and you get the best results with natural light, but I remember my first camera being much more fiddly to use and giving poorer results. My son is more interested in taking photos and knowing he has them than actually reviewing them so he has yet to notice that I delete the less successful ones!

My only gripe is the batteries. We are using duracell and getting a decent battery life from them, but rechargeable ones would be so much easier (and cheaper) to use. The memory cards are pretty cheap, so it's worth getting one to avoid losing photos when the batteries go.

I wouldn't get one of these for an older child who could be trusted to look after a proper camera, but for a pre-schooler (especially one with younger siblings), it is just the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 well spent, 7 Nov 2008
Karen B (Rayne, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
I bought this camera for my daughter's 3rd birthday and I have to say it is fantastic, so much so that my 6 year old is now desperately jealous and has written to father christmas to ask for one. If I had read some of the reviews on here before buying I would probably not have bought it, luckily I didn't bother to. Yes sure, the quality is not perfect but it is tough, easy to use and produces reasonable results in the hands of a 3yr and 6yr old. They love the extra frames and added stamps which mean you can put granny in a pirates hat or transport your barbie to a snowy scene. They haven't explored the games yet but I did when they went to bed and particularly liked the one which makes a puzzle using their own photos. I think that if you have an unusually steady handed and very careful child then sure, buy them a real camera but if you have real kids, then buy this. I speak as someone whose 6yr old (who is a quite normal, fairly careful girl) has now had 3 grown up cameras ranging in price from 20 to 40 each and has broken everyone of them by one drop onto a hard surface. We shall be instructing father christmas to get us another one please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off!, 18 Dec 2008
G. Aldis (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
My twins were desperate for their own digital cameras for their 5th birthday, so I started to research what was available. We nearly didn't get them at all, as the reviews were, in some cases, quite damning, but I'm so glad that we did! The picture quality might not be as good as some would like, but it's fine for what they want. In no time, they'd mastered taking photos, adding googly eyes/pirate eye patches, deleting any really bad pictures and playing the games. We were really worried about the battery consumption, but it's been two weeks now, and we've not had to change them yet, despite quite heavy usage!
Having seen the enjoyment that my kids have got out of them, I would certainly recommend these for children of around 4-6. A cheap "grown up" camera may take better pictures, but it would also be more difficult to handle, easier to block the lens, be less durable and wouldn't have the fun features. These cameras are designed with kids in mind and, as such, do the job perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad picture quality, 9 Nov 2007
J. Carson (South Shields, England) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
I just bought this for my 2 1/2 year old daughter to take on holiday. It looks solid enough and has some nice features. The first thing you notice though is how slow the screen update is, it looks about 2 frames a second. So even for an adult getting a decent shot is tricky. The pictures themselves are of a quality I've never seen from a digital camera. Something probably on par with the first camera phones in bad light. Pictures are grainy and quite a lot are blurred. If I'd seen the quality of this thing before I'd bought it then I wouldn't have bothered. However, my 2 year old seems to like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for any budding photographer, 14 Jan 2008
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
We bought this for our daughter for xmas and she has had so much fun with it - i can't rate it highly enough! She took 300 photos on xmas day ( we had to wipe the memory half way through the day to do this) - we had a great laugh looking at the results on the telly. No they aren't top quality but what do you expect from a kid's toy - I would say most young children would be more than happy with the results. It also takes video and you can play games on it too. My daughter enjoys taking pictures of her friends and we take it out when we go for walks and she takes pictures of anything and everything. I would agree that 60 is alot of money and didn't pay that but got it whilst on offer on Amazon for 40. Don't expect an adult camera in kids packaging and I would imagine most children will love this. We have only replaced the batteries once since xmas day and it's been used every day and she has never lost any pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this camera.....make sure you get the latest version though!!, 10 Nov 2008
A. C. Heath "Instant Diver" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
We bought this camera for my 3 year old son this time last year after showing an avid interest in using my own Digital SLR's! As has been pointed out in previous reviews, image resolution is low and shots with flash are often burnt out. However, even with that, my son loved the camera showing great pride in taking pictures and immediately showing the person the picture displayed on the monitor (no matter how good or bad it was!). Always with a grin and enjoying it immensely - which is what it's all about IMO. Sure, the twin viewfinder suffers from parallax error at close distances but my son soon learned to frame using the rear monitor. We never bothered trying to print any images as I know there's little point with the 640x480 resolution and anyhow, at his age, my sons more interested in taking pictures than printing them.
As for build quality, the camera appeared very good with a robust casing covering what is obviously a low quality digital camera. I have to say 'appeared' as I noticed around a month ago that the camera often wouldn't power up despite new sets of batteries. My son was somewhat upset at this so I checked the Vtech website and dropped them a short email (having no original receipt etc). To my surprise they apologised and stright away sent me a returns form by first class post. Three days after returning the form we received by courier a brand new camera! Thank you Vtech.
What I noticed straight away is that the image quality, particularly with flash, is improved immensely. The packaging states 'improved sensor quality' & instructions mention improvements with the latest versions - I would say that's correct. Close up shots with flash no longer burn out every time - which is what the majority of shots on this camera are going to be after all. Image quality on the small monitor also looks somewhat better than the old version & the delay between pressing the shutter and the picture being taken, though not immediate, is again improved. Incidentally, the instructions mention that the 'photo editor' includes an interpolation feature to enlarge files up to 2mB in order to print 'high quality' images. Of course, interpolation isn't going to get you sharp prints but it gives you an option if you want to try and get something half decent.
So, if you are looking for a fun camera for your kids and aren't going to lose sleep over image quality or a few shortcomings, I don't believe that you can go wrong with one of these (just try and make sure that you get the latest version). Buy a cheap SD card and let them shoot to their hearts content! If your kids are older and more camera aware then look elsewhere. Otherwise, this is a fun introduction to photography & I have to say kudos to Vtech for being so proactive in offering a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 11 April 2009
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
I bought this camera for my son about 5 months ago. I thought it would be ideal for him as he is autistic and would has already wrecked my digital camera. This has been the best present I have ever got him. Its durable and he plays with it constantly so much so that the bottom of it is destroyed as we continually change the batteries. That would be my only problem is that it would be far better if it had a charger as it is very sore on batteries. Granted the picture quality isnt the best but im not looking for the next Ansel Adams, just something he can have fun with and he certainly does. He has a great time after downloading the pics too as they can be distorted and added to. All in all I think this is a great wee camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun fun fun in the sun!, 29 May 2008
M. Shaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
I bought this camera for my 4year old daughter just before our summer holiday to Greece. I was not sure that a digital camera for children would be very good in terms of design and picture quality, but I was proven wrong in a number of way. The Kidizoom has many great features, which kept my daughter occupied for hours. She loved editing her photos with frames and stamps, which mainly made her mother and me look silly. She said it made her feel really grown up. I think the design of this camera is very good, with chunky handles that my daughter could grip onto easily. Also the double viewfinder helped her to locate exactly what she wanted in her shot.

Overall I would say this camera is a good present for children over 3, it is not too expensive and has a funky and modern design unlike some other examples I found in shops. I would definitely buy more products from VTech.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible picture quality. Just buy a real camera!, 16 May 2008
S. Doble (Dublin) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
My five year old daughter is a dab hand at taking photos with our camera and mobile phone. She was very keen on a camera of her own for Christmas and so we picked the Kidizoom and are ever so disappointed with it.

The picture quality is just appalling. Shots are all blurred and tiled. We tried the camera out ourselves but fared no better than our daughter. The cheapest of disposable cameras takes a better picture than this. We have never considered it worth while printing a picture and our daughter has lost interest in the camera.

We contacted V Tech to complain about it and (after two e-mails)they wrote back and said "the camera is not intended to provide the same quality pictures as a commercial digital camera". It is rated at .3 megapixels compared to 5.0 - 8.0 on an adult camera. The point of this camera is its durability. To be fair, V-Tech did offer that we could return the product and obtain credit against another VTech toy.

The price of this camera wasn't that of a cheap junky toy. We expected this camera to actually take photos worth having. Would it cost VTech so much extra to manufacture this camera in such a way that it could take a proper photograph?

And a final minor gripe, although it is called "kidizoom" it has no zoom feature.

A friend's child had a Fisher Price kids camera and its photos are equally poor, so the message has to be to buy the child a real camera when they are old enough not to drop it!

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed, 29 Feb 2008
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Multimedia Digital Camera (Blue) (Toy)
Both my son (3) and daughter(4 1/2) love using my digital camera and have both taken good pictures, so when I saw this camera I thought they would love it too. i was very wrong, bought them 1 each for christmas and it rarely gets used (unlike my camera and mobile phone camera) As with the other reviews, the LED screen is slow, ok if you are taking a picture of still object. Haven't even attempted to print any off. buy a real camera. Dont waste your money on this.