1,036 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teether
Published 14 months ago by SBno1

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute and cuddly
I've always heard rave reviews about our Sophie. Perhaps they are more suitable for younger babies. My little one is 16 months and has had a terrible time with teething and also bites me and his brother quite a lot. So I was desperate, a) wanting to help ease his pain and b) save us from being bitten to death.
What I didn't realise is it squeaks. It reminded me...
Published on 4 Feb. 2013 by Islandmum

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teether, 26 Dec. 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White) (Baby Product)
There are an alarming number of reviews here that would suggest that there is an unscrupulous market place trader(s) passing off counterfeit goods. This left me a bit cautious about ordering this, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered one. The first thing I tried was to wipe the spots off as that seemed to be one indicator of fake goods, next I pulled firmly at the horns, ears and legs. All seemed to be OK so I was fairly happy that I had an original one. If I wasn't it would have gone straight back with a complaint direct to Amazon.

After a wash, rinse and dry I gave this to my baby who immediately rammed it into his mouth and started gumming away at it. It is a nice soft natural rubber that is easy to hold and ideal for gums that are sore. When his gums are particularly playing up he seems to prefer a harder teething ring. I can't say that this is his favourite teething toy, but he has had a fair bit of use out of it. His teeth are starting to cut through now and I was a bit wary that they may be hard enough to break pieces off, but the toy does seem to be standing up to the rigours of a new set of gnashers. There is a squeaky built into the toy that drives my dog to distraction. I just have to be careful that he doesn't take possession of it!

On a point of cleaning I don't think this will take the rigours of a steam steriliser, you would be better off manually washing the toy with sterilising solution and leaving it to air dry.

Bottom line: As long as you don't get a counterfeit item it is a great teether, but a little on the pricey side at 10GBP. I am not so sure that it is worth that much considering you can buy equally safe teethers for less than half this price.

EDIT: A year on and this toy survived a great deal of chewing. It is has now become a toy and is still played with. I am now contradicting my review by saying that it was worth the money I paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 July 2014
I've never heard Sophie before. I was curious when my wife told me about that. I read reviews and I think it make sense to buy a quality teether for my lovely baby boy. When Sophie arrived, my baby boy fell in love, grab it and chew it. It's just fantastic! I didn't regret to buy this "luxury" teether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product!, 25 Nov. 2013
Like many other people the price always put me off buying this product. I had been looking at these teethers for a while due to most of the fantastic reviews. Now my son has the product I can see why they are so popular! It is certainly better than any other teether I have come across and my son is absolutley over the moon with it. He grins everytime he hears the squeaker and is forever gnawing her ears or legs. I was a bit weary over reading a couple of reviews about the paint fading and the rubber coming away etc but so far I have not had any problems. Sophie would also make a great gift for any little ones so I now know exactly what to buy which is a bonus! It's also brilliant that she comes with a little history behind her with her birthday and a simple story which makes this product totally unique! It's brilliant to learn that even though she originally went into production in 1961 she is the same today and is still going strong. I always read the product reviews on amazon before I make a purchase so I hope this helps some of you who are undecided! The price does also tend to decrease quite often and then go back up, I purchased her for £8.33 so keep your eyes peeled!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie the giraffe, 7 Feb. 2009
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After seeing this rated as the best teether in a baby magazine I thought I'd give it a try. It is more expensive than other teethers (my husband was horrified when I confessed to the cost) but my son will not use any others and loved Sophie from day one. She comes everywhere with us. I did make the mistake of putting it in the sterisliser (wanted it to be clean before he put is in his mouth) and it hasn't squeaked since!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a teether, 21 Dec. 2013
Sophie the Giraffe is much more than just a teether, it is a toy to help stimulate all of your child's senses and helps promote cognitive development. We received our first Sophie gift when our son was just born and then a second one later off Amazon when our son managed to toss his beloved toy from his shopping cart seat and the missing one never located.

The real sell for me wasn't the use of Sophie as a teether but instead the stimulation of my son's senses and the start of his development at the youngest of years. Sophie stimulates all of his senses as follows: Sight is stimulated through the dark contrasting spots on the light colored body (we buy the books with dark and light contrasts for the same reason... 6 month-2 year olds are drawn to this), Hearing is stimulated as he squeezes Sophie and she squeaks, this also teaches cause and effect, Taste is stimulated through chewing on legs, ears, etc., touch is stimulated through the long form of the giraffe body including the long legs and neck and smell is stimulated through the natural rubber smell these are composed of.

We could have bought a teether for a few dollars, we paid extra for all of sensory stimulation and development. My son is now almost three and still plays and carries around his Sophie. It is a robust toy that will last for years and will be ready to pass on to the next baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best dog toy we've got!, 1 May 2012
We purchased this for our daughter. She had worked her way through lots of teethers without much success. The gel and water ones that we froze seemed to be dropped quickly and she didn't seem to take like them much. My SIL was using "Sophie" for my nephew and my daughter used to love taking it off him and got very upset when we took it away so we HAD to get one!

I read the bad reviews on Amazon so when it arrived I scrubbed it and pulled it around to try and get bits off to check its safety. My daughter loves playing with it but most of all so does our dog! Now, this will prove how safe the squeaker is....if our toy poodle can't get the squeak out of it then neither can our daughter and it gets scrubbed clean at least twice a day now too! She doesn't quite understand that it's for teething but does love having it to play with as a toy and squeaks it with her hands rather than biting (unlike the dog).

I would recommend this product, not only as a teether but also as a toy. It is lightweight and easy for little hands to hold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute and cuddly, 4 Feb. 2013
What I didn't realise is it squeaks. It reminded me rather of a dog's toy than a baby teether. He had a good old chew and so did my older son and they had a giggle and loved the squeak but then it started getting rather annoying. You couldn't put it in a cot with the child at night as the squeaking would keep the whole house awake. Still it's nice to give him something that is safe to put in his mouth. Only thing is the 16-month-old has lost interest in it and instead his two-and-a-half year old brother is now biting it instead, despite the fact he's not teething! Still, it is cute but a bit pricey for something that isn't really used and of benefit to the young pup.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice But Overhyped, 26 Nov. 2011
MLA (Jakarta, Indonesia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Sophie the Giraffe is ubiquitous. Every baby seems to have one. There isn't entirely a reason for that though. Sophie is a nice enough combination of features but is hardly the greatest toy ever made. The hype for Sophie is a little out of control but it is a toy that has some use during teething and to be slightly entertaining up to about 6 months.

Sophie the Giraffe is a rubber squeeze toy that seems very much like a dog's chew toy turned into a baby product. The rubber is robust which is very useful for biting little teeth. The legs are designed to be easily insertable into a baby's mouth and the face also has an apparent chewable quality. The dots and facial features are probably more designed for parents than for children but Sophie is a good looking little toy.

Sophie also squeaks. When pressed in the middle, a baby is rewarded with a solid squeaking tone. That tone can also be achieved by shaking Sophie by the head as the pressure of the shake is enough to activate the internal mechanism. Sophie's noise is good fun for a young baby and it is an entertaining enough toy early on. It isn't the most entertaining squeeze toy and Sophie's shelf life is not especially long.

The benefit of having a toy that is also a salve to a teething baby is clear. However, a small baby will need assistance getting Sophie into a chewable position and holding on isn't always easy. Sophie is a little too tall to be held comfortably in the mouth without hands so once the baby reaches a more exploratory stage, Sophie is at a comparative disadvantage to more compact chew toys.

As a squeeze toy, Sophie the Giraffe is rewarding in that it is relatively easy for a baby to make the noise happen. Very small hands will not be able to squeeze hard enough but after a while it becomes more consistently achievable. As a squeeze toy though Sophie doesn't keep the baby's attention for all that long. Other squeeze toys are much more exciting and Sophie has barely gotten a look in after about 7-8 months in our household.

Sophie is a nice addition and every baby has one. The hype is too much though. Sophie the Giraffe is a good toy, not a great one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 13 Feb. 2013
There's a lot of hype over Sophie the Giraffe and you see them in a lot of magazines etc but I also know a lot of people who are shocked at the price and wouldnt buy a teether toy at that price. However not only is Sophie a lovely gentle toy for your little one to chew on, she's also a lovely play toy for when they are passed that stage! We still have my daughters Sophie and she is still played with now even thought she is 3! When she was little she did love to chew on her, the lumps and bumps must feel very different to a more traditional teether which are normal smooth with no pointy parts. I think the ears and feet were a favourite. Yes it is expensive but it is a few toys in one, a squeaky distraction toy, something to talk about (Giraffes, how many spots, what they eat etc), a chew toy and later on a Giraffe to play with other toys. These also make a lovely gift to new mums as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive reviews justified, 20 Feb. 2011
Despite the great reviews on amazon I initially hestitated about buying this and tried a couple of different cheaper teether toys first. They were okay but my 4mo really struggled to hold them & get them into her mouth on her own. After more rave reviews from the girls in my ante-natal group & seeing how easily their little ones could gum on Sophie I caved into joining the pack and now understand why every second person seems to have this toy. My daughter loves it! The squeaker guarantees a smile (although beware of fully submerging in water - I did before first use and sophie didn't squeak that well for a few days) plus she can easily hold sophie and get the head, body, or feet into her mouth. Yes it's expensive as teethers go, and yes you won't be very original with your 'Original Sophie the Giraffe' but for the enjoyment it gives my little one and the time it buys me it's worth it.

Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)