1,063 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
I've never heard Sophie before. I was curious when my wife told me about that. I read reviews and I think it make sense to buy a quality teether for my lovely baby boy. When Sophie arrived, my baby boy fell in love, grab it and chew it. It's just fantastic! I didn't regret to buy this "luxury" teether.
Published 8 months ago by Tito Mubarak

1.0 out of 5 stars Repurposed dog toy. Babies will chew anything!
Published 11 months ago by Max Berman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White) (Baby Product)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teether, 26 Dec. 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
There are an alarming number of reviews here that would suggest that there is an unscrupulous market place trader(s) passing off counterfeit goods. This left me a bit cautious about ordering this, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered one. The first thing I tried was to wipe the spots off as that seemed to be one indicator of fake goods, next I pulled firmly at the horns, ears and legs. All seemed to be OK so I was fairly happy that I had an original one. If I wasn't it would have gone straight back with a complaint direct to Amazon.

After a wash, rinse and dry I gave this to my baby who immediately rammed it into his mouth and started gumming away at it. It is a nice soft natural rubber that is easy to hold and ideal for gums that are sore. When his gums are particularly playing up he seems to prefer a harder teething ring. I can't say that this is his favourite teething toy, but he has had a fair bit of use out of it. His teeth are starting to cut through now and I was a bit wary that they may be hard enough to break pieces off, but the toy does seem to be standing up to the rigours of a new set of gnashers. There is a squeaky built into the toy that drives my dog to distraction. I just have to be careful that he doesn't take possession of it!

On a point of cleaning I don't think this will take the rigours of a steam steriliser, you would be better off manually washing the toy with sterilising solution and leaving it to air dry.

Bottom line: As long as you don't get a counterfeit item it is a great teether, but a little on the pricey side at 10GBP. I am not so sure that it is worth that much considering you can buy equally safe teethers for less than half this price.

EDIT: A year on and this toy survived a great deal of chewing. It is has now become a toy and is still played with. I am now contradicting my review by saying that it was worth the money I paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie the giraffe, 7 Feb. 2009
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After seeing this rated as the best teether in a baby magazine I thought I'd give it a try. It is more expensive than other teethers (my husband was horrified when I confessed to the cost) but my son will not use any others and loved Sophie from day one. She comes everywhere with us. I did make the mistake of putting it in the sterisliser (wanted it to be clean before he put is in his mouth) and it hasn't squeaked since!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best dog toy we've got!, 1 May 2012
We purchased this for our daughter. She had worked her way through lots of teethers without much success. The gel and water ones that we froze seemed to be dropped quickly and she didn't seem to take like them much. My SIL was using "Sophie" for my nephew and my daughter used to love taking it off him and got very upset when we took it away so we HAD to get one!

I read the bad reviews on Amazon so when it arrived I scrubbed it and pulled it around to try and get bits off to check its safety. My daughter loves playing with it but most of all so does our dog! Now, this will prove how safe the squeaker is....if our toy poodle can't get the squeak out of it then neither can our daughter and it gets scrubbed clean at least twice a day now too! She doesn't quite understand that it's for teething but does love having it to play with as a toy and squeaks it with her hands rather than biting (unlike the dog).

I would recommend this product, not only as a teether but also as a toy. It is lightweight and easy for little hands to hold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repurposed dog toy. Babies will chew anything!, 16 April 2014
Max Berman (London) - See all my reviews
Sorry - just don't get this. As a first time father, I'd do anything to ease my baby's teething. I even went as far as to pay for Sophie the Giraffe amongst other fantastically expensive chew toys. What you quickly learn after buying this stuff is that babies will chew anything and nothing specific will ease the discomfort of teething. I think Sophie the Giraffe is the worst of a bad lot of very cheap toys designed to exploit worried parents to buy something that the TV remote will do just as well. I'm certain some bright spark in the Sophie the Giraffe dog toy factory realised this and the most expensive baby chew of all time was born. Waste of money. Just be nice to your baby and let it chew anything that's relatively hygienic in your house. This is neither better nor worse than ANYTHING that will fit in a babies mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 13 Feb. 2013
There's a lot of hype over Sophie the Giraffe and you see them in a lot of magazines etc but I also know a lot of people who are shocked at the price and wouldnt buy a teether toy at that price. However not only is Sophie a lovely gentle toy for your little one to chew on, she's also a lovely play toy for when they are passed that stage! We still have my daughters Sophie and she is still played with now even thought she is 3! When she was little she did love to chew on her, the lumps and bumps must feel very different to a more traditional teether which are normal smooth with no pointy parts. I think the ears and feet were a favourite. Yes it is expensive but it is a few toys in one, a squeaky distraction toy, something to talk about (Giraffes, how many spots, what they eat etc), a chew toy and later on a Giraffe to play with other toys. These also make a lovely gift to new mums as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive reviews justified, 20 Feb. 2011
Despite the great reviews on amazon I initially hestitated about buying this and tried a couple of different cheaper teether toys first. They were okay but my 4mo really struggled to hold them & get them into her mouth on her own. After more rave reviews from the girls in my ante-natal group & seeing how easily their little ones could gum on Sophie I caved into joining the pack and now understand why every second person seems to have this toy. My daughter loves it! The squeaker guarantees a smile (although beware of fully submerging in water - I did before first use and sophie didn't squeak that well for a few days) plus she can easily hold sophie and get the head, body, or feet into her mouth. Yes it's expensive as teethers go, and yes you won't be very original with your 'Original Sophie the Giraffe' but for the enjoyment it gives my little one and the time it buys me it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this! :D, 9 Aug. 2013
It took me weeks to take the plunge and buy this. I did a lot of researching online, looking at reviews and recommendations, which all said one thing or the other. Either baby loves it, or baby hates it.

Luckily, my baby loved it from the get-go and still does.

Sophie goes everywhere with us, and stays firmly in my LO's hands the entire time I'm out.

It's beautifully made, and is very soft and easy to bend for baby to suck and chew on, and has really helped my LO to grasp and hold.

Had this for about 4 months now, and it still looks brand new. My mum has ran over it a few times with pram while out, and it's only took a wash in soapy water to get it looking new again.

If your baby loves to hold small items, and thoroughly enjoys chewing on things and likes toys that make a noise, your baby will love this. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars As ever, makes a perfect gift for friends who have just been blessed by a new baby., 13 Feb. 2015
The second time I've bought, as a gift, Sophie The Giraffe.

The first one I bought is still being lovingly used by the young baby in question and both Mother and Baby are very happy. As a result, when another couple I'm friends with had their first child last month, Sophie the Giraffe was the first present that sprang to mind, and this review is a result of that.

I mentioned that I'd bought a Sophie to a work colleague (a mother herself) and she also had extremely complimentary things to say.

Thoroughly recommend Sophie The Giraffe for those blessed by new born babies. May not be immediately used, but certainly proves very welcome when the time comes (Not that long either).

10/10 for Sophie the Giraffe!

And 10/10 for Amazon and Sophie's distributor for shipping it so quickly too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just a Teether, 4 Jun. 2012
Mrs. C. Brindle "cbrindle" (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
Since my 6 month old was born, Sophie has been useful, even before teething reared its dribbling-head:

*She is easy to hold and nice for baby to look at
*The squeak is great as a cry-stopping distractor (worked like a charm at 2 sets of injections!)and my boy now recognises her sound and smiles even when he can't see her.
*She is good for sore gums - there is usually a bit of her to suit my son's chewing needs.
*You can't sterilise her BUT i've always used Dettol wipes to keep her clean (you can't sterilise muslins or soft toys, and they get chewed too, so i don't see this as a drawback)

The negative - sometimes my boy looks like he might gag or take his eye out with her (grown up supervision, etc).

Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)