5.0 out of 5 stars Eargasm, 15 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
Talib's hit his stride in the game and this is definitely his most complete work since "Quality" (you could argue "Train of Thought"). Every track bangs benzi! For the first time in a while I've had a album on repeat and even then i keep hitting rewind on certain songs. "Soon The New Day" has that Joss Stone hook that makes you wanna close your eyes and reminisce about simpler times. But it's not all about the chorus and layered soul. Talib spits pure butane "NY Weather Report" and "Perfect Beat". battling roots. statement of intent.

The infusion of soul on every song is heartfelt and gives this joint a cohesive feel. you can feel Talib's hunger.

One for the inner Ear. Drum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hip Hop Lives..., 8 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
If you are a Talib fan do not hesitate to get this, he delivers again.

Talib comes with A-Class lyrics as usual delivered to some fantastic beats. Unlike many others his content is compelling and you can actually finish the album and remember subjects he spoke on, he speaks on everything from the media, religion, diet to (of-course) the state of the hip-hop game.

FYI "Hostile Gospel" is now added my list of all time favourite songs!
Say Something, Listen!!!, Holy Moly, Give em Hell - All fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM I HAVE LISTENED TO!, 7 Oct. 2007
Mr. T. Cordner "teh mind master" (London, england, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
i have listened to a few albums over the period of my 15 years of my life, hip hop has gotten into my life ALOT recently and talib represents the struggle to keep TRUE skool alive! this album will have your head boppin to evry track PERIOD! i think its THAT GOOD ive had it for 2 days and ive listened to each track over 10 times! its brilliant go and get it now! if ure a talib kweli fan GET IT NOW! if not... WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR! ORDER IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2007, 17 Feb. 2008
M. Dobson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
A masterpiece, thought provoking, intelligent lyrics over superbly constructed beats.

This album highlights the disgrace of 90% of the hip-hop albums that are garbage (hoes, gats, cars.....)

This and commons album are the only albums i would recommend from 2007.

5.0 out of 5 stars New age Classic, 13 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
I love this album for me its his best and i have them all,BLACKSTAR album is were it all started for me and iv been a fan ever since,im sick of hearing the rubbish on the radio this is REAL hip hop!One love

5.0 out of 5 stars good 'music to my ear'-drum..., 7 Sept. 2007
D. Mwiinga "Ecclesiastes" (Rdg Area, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
Good solid hip-hop records are hard to come by these days, a lot of artist do too much in trying to reach out to everyone and Kweli has also been guilty of this without a doubt. I didnt like Beautiful struggle at all coz I thought it was not what was expected from Kweli, we all knew that he was capable of making good music and this album re-affirms that notion. This is pure bliss, you get almost the same feel off this album as you do when you listen to Reflection Eternal. Kweli definitely does what he does best and that is make music that you will appreciate through and through...

Buy this album if you aint got it coz it is Kweli at his best and when he is at his best, he makes some good music. When the first song comes in, you think oh ok, sounds promising and by the time you get to track 5, you think, this can't be real, all the tracks sound dope and I have been bumping my head to this album in my car every day since I got it. Production wise, well that list of producers in itself says a lot about his intentions on this album, he has Pete Rock, Hi-Tek, Kanye West (only one song), Will.I.am, Madlib, Battlecat, Just Blaze and believe it or not Justine Timberlake.

And as far as the songs are concerned, I would quote 3/4 of the songs on the album as heavy tracks. Common's album comes no where near as I was a bit disappointed with finding Forever or whatever that album is called and I will put my neck out and say this album will probably be better than Kanye's when it comes out in terms of good hip-hop music. All in all, great tracks, food for thought in terms of subject matter, great features, heavy production and if I had to find something bad to say, I would say the album cover lets it down since its not very creative from my point of view, but I can live with that for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!!!!, 15 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
My favourire Kweli album is Quality but this undoubtedly rivals it for....quality! If you're not familiar with Talib Kweli, this is a great starting point. Then delve into his Quality album and Blackstar material such as Reflection Eternal.

I have two favourite songs on this album, that I can put up with his top 10 songs IMO;

Hostile Gospel pt 1 - Undeniably THE hip-hop tune of 2007. The beat is so fresh and is such a brave selection; a gospel choir provide the haunting backing vocals & chorus. Kweli delivers too, with his usual political message mixed with his own personal history, expressed as elequently as ever.

Listen!!!, is one of those commercial songs that you know has been made to be a single but is still listenable and respectable. There's only a few hip-hop artists that seem to be able to do this now without totally 'selling-out'; Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Jay etc...

There are a few songs that don't hit the mark and are definite skips, but overall I don't think it can be denied that this is a great Kweli album and sits at Number 2 for me personally in the list of his solo albums so far.

One of the best in the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars kweli is back, 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Ear Drum (Audio CD)
after a string of mediocre albums since reflection eternal talib finds his soul on ear drum, fantastic album.

Ear Drum [Bonus Track] [Us Import]
Ear Drum [Bonus Track] [Us Import] by Talib Kweli (Audio CD - 2007)