5.0 out of 5 stars We Can't Dance - HYBRID SACD
I have a far too small collection of surround sound CDs (ie Hybrid SACD recordings), as they are so hard to find. But good ones like this are truly excellent. A good album to start with, now with a surround sound mix.
Published on 8 Aug 2012 by Amazon Customer

For a review of the music itself, refer to the original version's reviews.

This issue comes in both 5.1 surround, as well as a new stereo remix.

Published on 8 Oct 2007 by John Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars We Can't Dance - HYBRID SACD, 8 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer (Dumbarton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can't Dance: Hybrid SACD + DVD (Audio CD)
As a general point of advice, I would echo the other reviewer's comment: the original CD recording was so good (listen to the Eric Clapton albums that Phil Collins produced to appreciate the sound quality that Collins expects) that there is absolutely no point in buying this, or any other hybrid SACD, unless you're planning to listen to it in 5.1 on a decent surround system.
The much higher sound quality that can be got from SACD makes it pointless buying if you want just the CD layer - just buy the plain CD, otherwise you're paying for something you can't use.
But to avoid disappointment with the surround version, you need to have a decent sound system through which to listen to it. So 5.1 SACD played on a cheap surround system will sound greatly inferior to the same disc played on a budget-priced CD-only player.
Uncompressed music is much more demanding than a dialogue-and-sound-effects film soundtrack. It was the need to have better quality sound for my 5.1 SACDs that made me upgrade my AV system - player, amp and speakers - although films too sound better as well!

2.0 out of 5 stars All the energy squashed from the original - STEREO MIX REVIEW, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: We Can't Dance: Hybrid SACD + DVD (Audio CD)
For a review of the music itself, refer to the original version's reviews.

This issue comes in both 5.1 surround, as well as a new stereo remix.

The stereo mix is a complete waste of time, given that the original was so perfect, and really required no stereo remix at all. In fact, the new mix is way inferior, being compressed to death, to the point that it is void of the terrific energy of the original. The previously big Collins drum sound has now had the guts completely squashed out of it.

A few of the old distant atmosperic sounds have also been brought right to the fore, losing any hope of subtlety.

Why anyone would prefer this mix to the original is completely beyond me. Unless you have a surround system, you should avoid this appallingly narrow ipod-friendly mix, and go for the much bigger, more dynamic audiophile original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Swansong, 10 May 2014
SR Cordy "Sam Cordy" (Fakenham, Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can't Dance (MP3 Download)
Great songs, great musicianship, an all-round winner. When I think of the dross we're subjected to today, this ticks all the boxes.

2.0 out of 5 stars genesis we cant dance, 23 Dec 2012
Mr. E. G. Buckingham "bucko 73" (nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can't Dance: Hybrid SACD + DVD (Audio CD)
all i have to say is where and why has all the bass from the drums dissapeard whoever mixed this wants to go back to uni. i cant believe how poor this sounds compared to the other renastered genesis albums. keep the original relaese sounds far better

5.0 out of 5 stars Genesis re-visited!, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: We Can't Dance: Hybrid SACD + DVD (Audio CD)
I first bought this album in 1991 on its release day and have been continuously listening to it ever since. The Genesis collection was remastered in surround sound in 2007 and this is the first one I've replaced. A couple of the reviews on here are negative and I must say that this version of We can't dance is designed for listening on a surround sound system. So dont buy it unless you have one! Now....the surround sound version brings out the excellent production on this album, super sound and after all these years find myself listening to it over & over. Definately not disappointed and great to hear Genesis re-visited.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nick Davis used to be a great engineer... what happened?, 25 Aug 2008
Jamie Tate (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can't Dance: Hybrid SACD + DVD (Audio CD)
Nick Davis has done amazing work in the past. Actually, ALL of his work up until these Genesis remixes was excellent! Has he lost his touch? Why do these Genesis sets sound so harsh? I wonder what Nick's reasoning for this is? Does he even realize this work is much worse than what he's capable of? He's a world class engineer so why did he make so many newbie mistakes with these Genesis remixes? Too much EQ? Really? That's what interns do when they're learning how to mix.

It's not the compression that makes these remixes bad, it's all the console EQ that was added that makes them sound shrill and hollow. Lots of top and bottom end boosting going on. I know that sound well from my early days of learning how to mix (on this same SSL console I might add). I was trying to make everything as punchy and aggressive as I could and my mixes came out sounding just like these Genesis remixes. When you have that much EQ on EVERYTHING things are going to sound a bit off.

Those SSL EQs have a very distinct sound to them, so do the compressors on the channel strips. Nick Davis just wanted these things to jump out at you and in the process he over-did everything. I think he was simply trying too hard to impress everyone with brute force and not sound quality. If you dig it, good for you. I can heard the EQs ringing and that really bothers me but the lack of good midrange and the shrill top end make my ears shut down.