5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously done. A must for any movie fan.
Published on 14 July 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Film but buy on normal DVD
This is a really enjoyable film and my favourite of 2007.I would normally give it 4 or even 5 stars,but this review is for the blu ray version.

Published on 30 Jan 2008 by A. Ledwith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously done. A must for any movie fan., 14 July 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This film is spectacular! It towers high in the animated movies spectrum, way over the likes of Ice Age and the Incredibles. It has everything. A funny premise, hilarious dialogue, and beautiful visual effects. Really, I thought that those were actual waves, as they just looked so realistic. And I loved the documentary style. It really makes it stand out from any other animated movie. The casting is also spectacular. Shia Labeouf is a fabulous Cody Maverick. You can really feel for him when he's trying his hardest to be a surfer, but getting wiped out in the process. And John Heder as Chicken Joe. Fabulous! I really do think this is one of THE best animated movies. In the words of the chicken himself, "I can feel it in my nuggets..."

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I heard of this movie back when it was released and thought the idea of surfing penguins was a bit lame so I didn't think much more about it. Then this year, I happened to come across it online so I watched it and was really surprised. And that prompted me to buy the DVD so I could watch it again. It was well animated and very funny. Plus a few of my friends had said to me it was surprisingly good so I had to admit after that I was curious.
I never judge before I see usually and this time I really should have watched it sooner cos it wasn't lame, it was great! I like Tank best because of all the neat markings he had. The character designs were very good. I also guessed who Geek was because of his flowery markings.
So for all you who think this movie might be lame, give it a try, it's actually very good!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fab family film!, 1 Dec 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I love animated movies. Yes, I'm a big kid at heart and not frightened of admitting it. However, the way things are going in the movie business at the moment, it would be easy to get bored of all these animated movies, particularly as lots of them star talking animals. But as I said, the big kid won over and I thought I'd give this one a spin.

I haven't seen Happy Feet so am unable to draw any comparison between the two. I'll just take Surf's Up for what it is. Which is actually a very good movie.

The plot of this movie - which is filmed as a documentary - follows Cody Maverick, an ambitious surfing penguin. Born in Shiverpool, Antartica, Cody is desperate to get out and make something of himself, and he feels surfing is his ticket out of town. Cody's day job as a fish-sorter is increasingly getting him down, so when the talent scout for the Big Z Memorial Surf Off on Pen Gu Island arrives in Shiverpool, he jumps at the chance to go and compete.

Big Z has been Cody's idol since he was a baby. Big Z was killed in a surf off many years ago, but it hasn't stopped Cody aspiring to surf like him. So the Memorial Surf Off is his biggest dream, and with his cocky attitude, he is certain he can win. But he hasn't reckoned on the bigger, scarier waves on Pen Gu Island, or Tank Evans - the champion of the Surf Off for nine years running.

Evans, the most vain, egotistical penguin you're ever likely to meet isn't really worried about Cody. He doesn't see some small town penguin as a threat, and an impromptu challenge between the two verifies this fact. Cody is wiped out, along with his confidence.

This is where the story really begins. Cody meets some unlikely friends whilst on Pen Gu Island and begins to realise that surfing isn't all about competition - it's about doing it for the fun of it. As this realisation hits him, Cody changes his outlook on life and embraces his new-found friends all the more, and even finds love.

I thought this was a really good movie. The graphics were absolutely stunning, even on my tiny TV! I would love to see what they look like in HD. But I digress. Surf's Up looks good, and the documentary style made it different to so many other films and I really thought it worked because you get the clever asides and rolling-of-the-eyes to the camera, which appealed to my sense of humour.

The characters and storyline were great too. But what really put the icing on the Surf's Up cake for me was the character Chicken Joe, voiced by Jon Heder. Chicken Joe was absolutely hilarious all the way through, a totally spaced out but lovable character with the majority of the `funnies' in the script. That role was made for Heder's voice.

If you like CGI movies - there's no reason why you won't enjoy this. It isn't as packed with jokes as some recent animated movies, but the storyline and characters are great fun and there's a moral to the story which will appeal to parents teaching little ones right from wrong. All in all, a fab family film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Film but buy on normal DVD, 30 Jan 2008
A. Ledwith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surf's Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

The thing is ,the film is done in a loose documentary style and the camera work reflects this by having a grainy image.It is still a bright and colourful film but the purposely downgraded image quality means that you may as well buy it on normal DVD as it doesn't really show off the potential of Blu ray.For that I reccommend Open Season which is made by the same company and looks absolutley stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Surf's Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Excellent family entertainment with intelligent humour and original storyline that will satisfy children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 24 Oct 2007
M. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Do not hesitate to buy this movie.
I watched it a few weeks ago and I have watched it about 5 times and am not bored.
I first expected this to be a baby film, but anybody will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I love this film. Chicken Joe best cartoon charater ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
great little film very enjoyable and at a really cheap price too

5.0 out of 5 stars surfs up, 29 Jan 2009
jacky mercury (Bridlington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I don't normally like this sort of film, but I bought it for an xmas present. I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. There is plenty to make the adult viewer laugh and we all had fun deciding which character we most resembled. I would recommend it for a bit of light hearted fun, with a message to follow your dreams!

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, laid back and fun, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Surf's Up [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Surf's Up is a witty, laid-back cartoon based on the surfing culture. It has some great ideas, some fun characters and a storyline to warm to. The original approach of presenting the whole film as a fly on the wall documentary really works well. If I am getting too stressed about life I watch Surf's Up; it gives me perspective.

Surf's Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Surf's Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free] by Ash Brannon (Blu-ray - 2007)