5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST YET from a master of the genre - Superb!
I am a serial Martin Simpson reviewer - I have now bought 5 of his wonderful albums, and I have reviewed them all. Simply put, I love the arrangements, I LOVE the guitar playing and most of all I love the wonderful songs, which Martin Simpson seems to inhabit as he sings them, allowing the power of these tales of love, life, betrayal and death to show through...
Published on 15 Oct 2007 by Mr. Dominic L. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Technicaly perfect but too sanitized
Published on 1 May 2009 by Vicky Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars My goodness...this is good, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Prodigal Son (MP3 Download)
I only discovered Martin Simpson a couple of years ago and since I've bought all of his records. He truly seems to get better and better with each one. A stunning artist and if you like folk music an absolute essential artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as they say, 12 Aug 2009
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
Not much to add except that I agree with everyone else's rave reviews. My other favourite by Martin Simpson is "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" which is a collection of instrumental arrangements of hymns and psalms (you really don't have to be religious to enjoy these) which has recently become available on amazon.co.uk MP3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martin Simson Prodigal Son, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
Hi, this is a rich and satisfying album. I did not know Martin Simson before, and neither did my folk lover husband, whom I bought it for. We both rate it hightly. Martin Simson plays guitar with intricate, sparky ease. He also has a full rounded yet traditional folk voice. Somehow it mellows into the living room, whilst cutting deep with stories of romance, yearning and tragedy of old. We going to see him play live in March as he's on tour in spring 2009. Do look out for him, and buy the album as he deserves wider acclaim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 Oct 2008
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
I have a fairly broad music taste ....including a bit of folk.. Fairport, Richard Thompson, Nic Jones, Martin Carthy...and this album by Martin Simpson is amongst the best I've ever heard. There is no doubt that he is technically brilliant ....but it is the emotion and warmth of his playing and the combination of arrangements of traditionalsongs and original material that really makes this album different. 'Mother Love' is so simple and beautiful, and 'Never Any Good' (see Cambridge Folk Festival video) has a wonderfully told story. A real problem with many folk artists trying to write their own contemporary material is lyrics that dont work - there are no such doubts with Martin Simpson. Having seen Martin Simpson perform last night at the Red Lion folk club in Brum, even the songs on this album I felt less sure about started to make sense (i.e. 'Good Morning Mr Railroad Man'). He modestly and with a quiet charm introduced some of the context/background for each song...and then played and sang with such an amazing ability. Effortless and brilliant. Transfixed. I dont think that this album is likely to disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite brilliant, 10 Mar 2008
Mr. Nicholas Kemp (leeds, west yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
Martin Simpson has created some of the most truly inspiring music, but this is in my view his best to date. Its a collection of the most wonderfully crafted and played songs, a true classic and one that should belong in everyone's music collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow, melodic, lyrical stuff., 1 May 2011
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
This folk-influenced album by Martin Simpson ticks all the right boxes. His guitar playing is diamond-sharp yet luscious, his melody lines are a treat, backed up by a warm, mellow register, and the lyrics are generally intelligent, and emotionally-weighted. Some of the longer narrative pieces carry a real sense of purpose and momentum, while the shorter pieces are rarely slight (though Duncan & Brady lacks a sense of emotional engagement), and carry an effective emotional charge. Supporting musicians include Alistair Anderson's Northumbrian pipes and concertina, the iconic Danny Thompson's melodic and subtle bass, and Barry Phillips warmly shadowed cello. Back-up vocalists include Jackson Browne and Kate Rusby. Enough said really. You really should acquire this lovely stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars prodigal son, 7 Feb 2010
R. knott "knotty" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
excellent playing of some beautiful folk songs. slide guitar and picking done with equal skill. well worth a listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Technicaly perfect but too sanitized, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
Sorry to disagree with all of the other reviews. I think that Martin Simpson is a truly wonderful musician, I've seen him live maybe twelve times and it always a joy. But this album really does lack the passion of his live performance, it is simply too clean and too perfect, in short, to my ears it sounds sterile, perfectly played, almost too perfectly, with every bit of leakage and ambience cleaned away.

I had similar thoughts about the album Righteousness & Humidity, I had heard some of those songs close up at one of his weekend courses, the recorded versions don't hold a candle to the live ones, exactly the same complaint.

An incomparably great player, but there is something lacking in the recorded versions. If you want to hear hin at his best buy a live album.

Oh, and I forgot to say, I found the cover photography a tad pretentious, to cleverly posed by half.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpson's prodigal son., 27 April 2009
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
After seeing Martin Simpson play live I was greatly impressed with his playing and singing. I had to buy an album of his and was pleased I chose the prodigal son. If you like good quality folk music,excellent guitar playing and good songs, this album is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 23 Feb 2009
John Hacker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
This is Martin Simpson at his very best. Not a bad track on the album and many are destined to become classics. If you only ever buy one Simpson album, make it this one.

Prodigal Son
Prodigal Son by Martin Simpson (Audio CD - 2007)