on 13 April 2010
The RTX Dualphone 3088 is the only truly universal PC-free walkabout phone kit for either landline or VOIP calls on the market at present, and was recently reduced in price. Other similar units are available giving you the option of either a landline call or an internet broadband call, but they don't work with your Skype account because they use a different method of accessing the web.

My 2 gripes about the Danish design-studio concept of the Dualphone are:-

1) the tiny buttons and even tinier on-screen display numbers. The Siemens range has bigger buttons with clearer numbers and a better screen, but as above does NOT work with Skype and its unique algorhythms.

2) there is virtually NO after-sales support from Denmark as RTX.dk claims to be simply a design studio commissioning manufacture in Asia and they refuse to put customers in contact with the Asian factory for access to spare parts. I know this 'cos I tried to get a replacement loudspeaker from them after I'd swept my handset onto an unforgiving tiled Spanish floor whilst carelessly removing my jacket ! I had to buy a replacement handset for an exorbitant price - the Spanish agent of RTX wanted ninety euro ! But the Dualphone system is gggrrreat....and has reduced my two-monthly Telefonica bill from 100 euro to 30.
on 1 September 2007
Just got my extra handset and it is great to have two phones to skype or even normal phone through ... ignore the reviews about how bad this is, they were from before the 1.20 firmware upgrade and now this phone works just great !
on 8 July 2009
Great sound quality, completely plug and play - works as expected.
I replaced my traditional phone landline by a Skype subscription and Dualphone 3088 : the device works perfectly and pays itself back after 8 months. After that, it's money saved every month ! Free phone calls to all Skype users and just 4/month for unlimited calling to landlines in Belgium.
on 9 September 2007
This handset is very nice. I only have two gripes about it that I hope RTX will correct in a future firmware and hardware.
- the keys pad has no lights. This limitation of course can only be corrected by a hardware update. I would be happy to buy an updated handset with key pad lights that would still be compatible with my existing base.
- there is no speed dial. this should be standard functionality. I hope RTX can come up with a nice firmware upgrade that includes this functionality.
on 18 March 2010
Its what it says on the box.Found it simple to set up. Used the instructions on the internet site as instructed. No problems auto software update was automatically carried out. Works perfectly.
on 16 September 2009
We have owned an RTX Dual phone for a couple years already and had to buy this additional handset because my toddler destroyed the last one. In general I am delighted with this product. It's so easy to set up and you don't need a computer. We now use skype for all our local and international calls. The sound quality is brilliant even with average broadband speeds.
on 30 January 2012
The additional handset for the RTX Dualphone 3088 works as expected. It was easy to pair the telephone to the base station. This telephone is for both land-line and Skype communication. there is only one feature that did not worked as I had expected. I had expected contact lists and Skype accounts to be stored in the hand set, so that each hand set can be adopted to the user. But this is not the case. Obviously the active unit is the base station, and all connected hand sets have to use the same Skype account and contact list.
on 18 March 2011
I have had this additional handset for around 18 months and the main system for a little longer.

Build quality is pretty good. I have dropped the handsets a number of times and they keep ticking. The screen is a little small for me. I have seen some landline cordless phones that have a slighlty bigger screen allowing for bigger and better text. However, the screen is "sufficient".

The buttons are a little bland and take a good press. I'm not always 100% sure that I have pressed them.

Overall though the handset works well, reasonable range, easy to chose between skype or landline, good audio quality.

I have not had a look for a while but if there is little new in the market this is the best unit I have found for both skype and landline calls.

I did try a Philips unit inbetween my first Dualphone and this one but it developped problems around 9 months after I got it.

So unless there are some new phones out there in the last 12 months that are getting great reviews then this is probably the handset for you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2012
I have had an RTX 3088 Dualphone and additional handset for 3 years. The master phone works well although it has a "soft ring" and can't be heard around the house. Thinking this problem would be solved by purchasing an additional handset, was when my problems started. RTX has replaced 3 additional handsets and all have failed with various different faults from not ringing, speaker phone stopping working and most recently a phone which keeps switching itself off. It switches on again temporarily when replaced on the charging cradle, but the fault returns almost immediately it is removed again. RTX are now being more difficult with me and refusing to replace the phone claiming my original purchase is out of warranty despite the latest phone failing after a few months of use.

Fortunately there are now alternative Skype phones on the market, so RTX no longer have a virtual monopoly. I would not recommend purchasing an RTX Skype phone - quality is unsure and customer service woefully lacking.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2013
I looked around for a while for a standalone cordless phone which would connect to Skype without the need for a computer, believing it would be the answer to all my home phone voip dreams. It's about a year now since I bought it, and it just sits there, unplugged and unused.

The idea is great. Somebody Skypes you and you can pick up on your computer or this phone. You can call or skype from the handset. It just doesn't work well though. You end up with a million missed calls on it from every time you answered from your computer. The keypad is very bad quality so is not quick and easy to dial. The OS is very slow making the phone cumbersome to use.

Also I have been through 3 of the rechargeable batteries in the past year. Needs a new one now.

I don't think I will even bother trying to sell through Marketplace, as I wouldn't wish this product on anybody.

I have since bought a panasonic 3 handset phone, which doesn't connect to Skype but works perfectly.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse