5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, a Jewel of Warmth Among the Machines
Published on 11 July 2007 by V. Lange

2.0 out of 5 stars Paul Potts ruined!
Paul Potts has an amazing voice, but how sad that on this album it is drowned out by the orchestra sometimes. Also the power and passion he shows when singing live is muted on this recording. They didn't need to damp his voice down on the mixing desk. I bought this to support Paul, so that's ok, but really, I wanted to relive the happiness and sadness that he can...
Published on 3 Aug 2009 by Miss Jelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, a Jewel of Warmth Among the Machines, 11 July 2007
V. Lange "vlmagister" (North Carilina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
The review I have just read states with certainty that Paul is merely "average" and could not possibly hold his own agaist other tenors. I must disagree. I've attended over 60 operatic performances and have heard tenors of every possible ilk. I've been to three Turandot performances. At any one of them,actually all of them, I would have paid extra on the spot to have Paul sing Nessun Dorma.

I know that if Paul chooses to do so,he can develop technique that is as technically correct as any tenor in the world. This will probably be important to the preservation of his voice. If he does, however,I hope he does not lose one iota of that....honey sweet evocative character of pathos and longing in his voice. No other tenor I have ever heard has that same quality,and it cannot be learned. Technique will sell critics, though neither I nor millions of others care about them, but that voice, that quality of raw humanity, will always sell the masses longing for beauty and meaning.

And I haven't had any crazy pills at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing!, 19 July 2007
Mark Corby "zaphad1" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
I couldn't wait to get this CD after first hearing about Paul from a video clip on a well known internet site.
If you know the video clips I mean and were blown away by Pauls performance then you will not be disappointed by this CD.
You'll be crying all over again and may disappear for days on end just listening to it over and over,lol.
He seems to get better and better and it is a total revelation to hear him sing with a full orchestra.
His voice has a huge range and he seems almost like different people on different tracks.
Paul sings his heart out and the sheer emotion really grabs you, its almost like its music to fall in love with someone to or say to someone "God! I love you!"
My fave track is cavatina which I know he sang for his wife, it's just so beautiful.
He truly is exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 15 July 2007
D. Wood "David J Wood" (Lostwithiel, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
A number of people have said that this album is only selling because of Paul's sob story, well clearly they have forgotten the reaction of the audience and judges on Britain's Got Talent when they first heard Paul sing, and then they hardly knew a thing about him!
Paul's music makes the hair on my neck stand up, and I think he's probably done more for opera in the UK than the £200million refurbishment of the National Opera House!
Good on you Paul, when are you bringing your tour to Cornwall?

5.0 out of 5 stars judge not by what you see but what you "hear"..., 25 Nov 2007
this has to be one of the most wonderful "voices" to come along in a very long time.. Mr. Potts has a voice that has touched us all.. I cried , along with thousands of others when hearing him sing for the first time... He has reached the soul of music... Bravo Bravo...... I have his album and listen to it each day. I only hope that success doesnt spoil the wonderful girft he has been given... 5 stars from me...

5.0 out of 5 stars From Aussieland - WORTH THE COST - FANTASTIC!!!, 19 July 2007
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
I purchased 2 of Paul's CD's - and paid more than double the total cost of the discs to get them out to Australia. Not for one second do I regret it. I just LOVE the CD - and despite some critics reverting to the 'chop down a tall poppy syndrum' - all of the CD is just beautiful. I really don't care what type of music it is as long as it is good, listenable, and genuine. And Paul excells with this CD. There is not one track I would fast forward, and I am glad I got 2 as I am sure I will soon wear one out!! I have converted alot of my friends who have placed orders, and I hope there are many more CD's to come. Good luck Paul - so good to see a talented artist get a chance instead of airheads and their bubblegum songs and music. I think his voice is just beautiful and so enunciated - he puts feeling and emotion into his singing, and this comes across in the CD. Perfection comes in many different shapes and sounds, and Paul should not be compared to anyone else. His voice speaks for itself - just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars How sad to give 1 or 2 stars - A response., 13 July 2007
J. Ellis (Wales, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
I was a little taken aback when I saw two of the most recent ratings. For me the whole debate surrounding Paul Potts ability and the cynical music business machine, whether we think he is an "Opera God", "Useless", or it is "....Marketing based around pity" and so on is surely immaterial. Not knowing a great amount about the technical aspects of opera I don't feel qualified to comment on his abilities of pronunciation and intonation, however in my opinion the acid test is about the way listening to the music makes one feel. Yes I do think his modest background, and quiet, humble character have caught the public imagination, and yes maybe he is just another money spinner to the "profit above all else" music business exec's. But can we not just enjoy this record for what it is; honest, open, heart felt.... That ultimately is how I prefer to judge the success of any record. Paul Potts may well fade into obscurity in 6....12 months time but credit where credit is due; let him have his moment of success. Perhaps by bringing his human dimension to these songs he will help change some of our perceptions of the Opera world being a somewhat stuffy, high brow and exclusive club; and open opera up to the popular masses. I wish him all the best and based on merit, one or two star ratings do not seem a fair reflection of his talent.

I think the songs on the record sound great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone Potty, 12 July 2007
Kad Mann (Outback Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
Having seen the video clips of Paul Potts singing, there was no doubt that that I would buy the CD. I have just listened to the sample track, and, as with the first few hundred times I watched the YouTube clips, there were waves of goose bumps going up and down my spine from the very first note that left his mouth.

What an amazing voice this man has. Haunting, sweet, smooth, strong, tender and heartfelt all at once. The critics who have panned this singer's technical expertise need to consider getting re-educated and reordering their perspective on music because the feeling, the power and the profound visceral reactions that Paul Potts evokes with his singing, even in people who despise opera, is what music is truly about.

I watched and listened to Pavarotti sing Nessun Dorma, which is this album's lead track, and there is no comparison. Pavarotti's version was, to my ears at least, harsh and unfeeling, and, to my eyes, showy beyond belief; if harsh and unfeeling is technically superior then I want none of it, but I do want Paul Potts in my collection.

I will always treasure Paul's "One Chance" album, not for his rags to riches success, but because his singing made me cry. As a 50-year old macho man, I am not prone to being moved to flowing tears by other men. Truly, a wonderful voice, an album worth having if you appreciate the finer points of true talent rather than mere technical excellence.

5.0 out of 5 stars POTTSHEAD, 11 July 2007
Colorado Soul (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
Ever since first hearing Paul Potts' emotionally moving performance of Nessun Dorma on Britain's Got Talent, I have been hooked.....to the point of being called a POTTSHEAD!

Whether or not Mr. Potts becomes a critically acclaimed opera superstar matters not. He has achieved something much more important than mere pop operatic singer status--he has touched hearts with his voice. For a singer, no greater achievement can be had.

My best to you Mr. Potts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non opera fan converted, 12 July 2007
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
I have watched many TV and live stage performances from "superstars" in my 44 years and have NEVER been a fan of this type of music. The night Paul sang on tv I had goosebumps and tears formed in my eyes. Paul, you have converted me, but only to your voice. I have tried listening to the others since your performance, but they still do nothing for me. I now can't listen to you without crying and I have not cried for any reason in many years !

I wish you everlasting success as, in my opinion, you greatly deserve it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Luck Mr Potts, 25 Aug 2007
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
Having watched Paul Potts on Britain Has Talent with a tear in my eyes, I purchased the album with eager anticipation. Not all the tracks were to my liking, but that is personal choice. I very rarely do like all the tracks on a CD.
Paul Potts has an excellent voice and deserves to do well.
As for the 'ham sandwich' review - I put it down to jealousy. He is obviously a tone deaf salesman with no prospect of hitting the big time.

One Chance
One Chance by Paul Potts (Audio CD - 2007)