Size: 520 mm|Style Name: Compact|Change

on 18 January 2008
OK, you can't go far wrong with Rotring equipment. It is expensive but you are buying quality manufacturing. As a designer, I use this kit a lot and although most of it is very reliable and I wouldn't be without it, these compasses are frustrating to say the least. The pin is not sharp enough to anchor the compasses sufficiently and the resistance of the top hinge is too low. The result is that the compass either skids off the centre point or they start to splay out with very little pressure. Put sufficient pressure on the point to avoid the first, then the hinge in the arm bends breaking your lead or worse the nib of your pen.

I recommend avoiding these if you can and pay that little bit more and get yourself a pair of spring bow compasses instead.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2012
Unbelievably bad design, considering this is by a highly recognised manufacturer. Within 6 months of my purchase parts of the compass will just fall off (most annoyingly and notably the piece that holds the lead). Also the pivot rest on the other arm always slides too far in making it unusable. I thought maybe I had lost some critical pieces somehow but it seems it is all there and put together properly.. Final problem I have encountered is the compass does not have anywhere near enough friction to remain in its set open position and so almost every time you use it it will not be consistent and become wider. I would not recommend this if you like/need to draw a lot of curves and don't want to become overcome with rage and hatred for your compass.
on 27 January 2014
I have used Rotring, Faber Castelle, Staedtler and other reputable brands for many years, so I ordered this for my son who has started engineering at school, for £10.45! What a mistake!

Shame on you, Rotring! One would be better off going to the "back to school" department at your local supermarket and buying the cheapest school compass you can find - at least it would draw circles. This compass is of very poor build quality, came with a blunt needle, and the bendable arms cannot be properly tightened to prevent them from wobbling around, probably due to the use of malformed plastic mouldings. My son has now resorted to using an antique compass that has been abused for over 50 years and still does a better job. Don't buy this at any cost, you could not find a worse compass if you tried. I have returned it for a refund.

At least Amazon's customer service is second to none, they immediately sent me an email including a printable returns address slip for free of charge return. Thumbs up to Amazon!
on 7 January 2014
I recently started sketching portraits from photos, but was finding getting accurate proportions and relative feature positions tricky. This compass is great. It comes with a spare needle so you can use them as a divider to quickly measure what you need to reproduce. The hinge has just the right amount of friction for simple single handed opening and closing, but enough to hold the position until it can be transferred to paper. They open up to complete horizontal position, so perfect for my needs. If only Picasso's Mum had given him a pair of these beauties, his paintings might have looked completely different.
on 26 September 2013
I bought this together with the Rotring college pen set. Really annoyed as now I find the pens wont fit in the pen holder, and the pen holder that comes with the pen won't fit in the compasses.
on 27 January 2013
I have recently tried to get back together the sort of drawing office equipment which I enjoyed in the seventies, when I saw this had the Rotring label attached to them I thought that they would be ideal. After using them for a month I can honestly say that I'm underwhelmed. They are bulky to use and after just weeks they are starting to loosen up and don't hold their place once set. I subsequently bought an old set off E Bay and the quality was radically different and well worth spending on. My suggestion is to look for old Rotring equipment...it was made to last, these were made to a budget.
on 6 December 2010
This good value product offers almost all what can be expected of a precise master tool. It's reliable for my work which need perfect accuracy (the sensitivity can be adjusted or locked and so can be the length of the arms. The best I ever owned (and not necessarily the most expensive)- Not surprising for such a great make ! Thanks Rotring !
on 16 November 2011
This item looks fantastic and is very reasonably priced.
It comes with all the necessary attachments for drawing large radius arcs and attaching pens and cutting blades.
My only complaint is that the point good be sharper as it doesn't penetrate the paper and therefore, has a tendency to slip mid stroke.
on 28 February 2013
A great investment. As someone who does not use technical drawing equipment very often, I was not sure of how to secure bits etc. Although I have worked it out for myself an instruction sheet or diagram would have been helpful.So only four stars from me.
on 22 January 2016
100% rubbish, probably a fake.This product is so badly thought out/designed it insults my construction knowledge and intelligence. 1) it has no instructions 2) if you try to draw a large circle the 2 arms move and thus the radius becomes bigger, however gently you try!! I tightened the 2 Philip screws on top, still no firm hold. 3) When you add the extension to draw a even bigger circle the extension it self gets in the way of placing the pen thus leaving you with only 2 cm to play with the radius at it's end ONLY. 4) That long black plastic tube, what the HELL is its purpose i thought it's to sharpen the lead, well it F****** does not. This product put the brand name of Rotring into disrepute.