5.0 out of 5 stars Stevenson's Dark Corners!
'You must suffer me to go my own dark way. I have brought on myself a punishment and a danger that I can't name.' (Dr Jekyll)

Stevenson's remarkable novel explores the 'other' face of Victorian respectability, the underbelly of a society 'profoundly committed to the duplicity of life.'
The setting of novel lends itself to horror. We are in London, a filthy...
Published on 27 Nov 2007 by J. S. Lewison

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, although everyone is spoiled for the twist these days.
Published on 24 Nov 2009 by L. R. Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevenson's Dark Corners!, 27 Nov 2007
J. S. Lewison (Bolton, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The setting of novel lends itself to horror. We are in London, a filthy degraded place, full of labyrinthine streets. We are blinded by fog, searching for a 'creature' who evades detection at every turn. We wander the streets with 'gentlemen' who have a pronounced predilection for night walks and alley ways and speak in 'masculine' codes. Their nightly Insomnia suggests sexual restlessness and with no women in sight, and lots of male friendships, this fin-de-siecle text rather suggests the unlawfulness of homosexual desire.

Then we abruptly encounter the inhuman figure of 'Mr Hyde' as he stamps maliciously on a helpless child. This transgression of any residue of civilised behaviour catapults the novel into horror where it lingers for the rest of the narrative. We spend time gazing at a 'blistered and distained door' through which the unspeakable Hyde makes his way and we metaphorically lose our respectable ways!

Ironically for a novel written by Robert Louis Stevenson, 'Tusitala', 'a teller of tales' the tale refuses to be told. This is because the narrative is initially dependent upon the voice of the unprepossessing Utterson, ironically a man who fails to utter anything in terms of personal disclosure or revelation. This secrecy is then reinforced by other restrictive narrative viewpoints, thus confining the 'secret' of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to conjecture - the strait jacket of Victorian repression. (And yes, there is a joke in there!)

For who is the final teller of this macabre tale? The last voice we hear in the novel is that of Dr Jekyll, yet we know he died as the infamous Mr Hyde, and that we are only privy to this knowledge through the 'eyes' of Utterson who never comments about it .He just disappears into respectable silence. Each time I read the novel I am always aware of the missing voice in the text and feel rather bewildered at the lack of any stable conclusion to the novel. We are just left with the voice of the very much resurrected and undead Jekyll/Hyde voice who finishes his own novel after all!

Read it at night and lock your door!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, although everyone is spoiled for the twist these days., 24 Nov 2009
L. R. Richardson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I recently watched bits and pieces of a program on TV entitled "Great Scots," which quite obviously took a look at the famous Scots throughout history and modern times and how they contributed to society. I realized that I hadn't read all that many Scottish authors, and considering I'll now be living in Scotland for the rest of my life, I settled down to reading some good Scottish literature.

I've read Treasure Island, but that was back when I was 13, so it'd been quite some time. Most people know the premise of the story. Robert Louis Stevenson evidently came up with the idea for this story in an opium-induced haze. A London lawyer notices that his friend Henry Jekyll has been acting very odd lately and decides to investigate him and the bizarre Edward Hyde. He eventually realizes that they are the one and the same due to a potion that Jekyll drinks and splits himself into a fundamentally "good" person and a fundamentally "bad" person. It is an extended allegory on the dual nature of man, and it is a theme that has been revisited over and over again in literature. The saying of someone being a bit of a "Jekyll and Hyde" is still regularly used today.

The writing flowed well and my attention was kept throughout the novella. It was a good, short, read. Is it my favourite classic novel of all time? No, but all the same I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. This edition had clear print and I liked the cover (for some reason this book has a lot of awful covers).

5.0 out of 5 stars "If he be Mr. Hyde," he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.", 14 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Atty. Mr. Utterson is worried, as the keeper of Dr Henry Jekyll's will. The will gives everything to Edward Hyde incase of Henry's death or disappearance. Mr. Utterson met the hideous Hyde once and does not trust him. Well it looks like Henry's will will have to be executed as the housekeeper; Mr. Pool thinks Hyde hid Henry's body.

Once again, I saw Spencer Tracy before I read the book, so I was anticipating a different type of story. I read "Treasure Island" so I am familiar with Stevenson's writing style but I did not realize that this story was more of a mystery that draws the conclusion and revelation in the end. The explanation of man and his duel personality is excellent and I suspect he draws on personal experience.

I also read the kindle version. It was sparse and strait forward; there was not a lot of fluff and speculation from other personalities. I made sure that the text-to speech was activated before purchasing. This helped but I had to keep reminding myself that the names were mispronounced.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Double Feature (1932/1941)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and affordable, 25 Feb 2012
It's a tale everyone 'knows' but few seem to have had the time to actually read. This edition is perfect for students, as it has a very readable and informative introduction, along with the addition of a few of Stevenson's other short stories. The quality of the book packs no punches, but that's fine, as it's meant to be something light you can carry around with your mountain of other literature. As far as the story goes; it seems simple yet thought provoking, not nearly as clear cut as one might imagine, shrouding a small host of hinted themes relavant to its time. A modern reader cannot help but be chilled at the surreal London setting, the blunt storytelling, and possibly one of the best descriptions of evil I have ever come across.

3.0 out of 5 stars all the fluff is annoying, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales (Oxford World's Classics) (Kindle Edition)
why can't they just give you the book? before you get to the actual story you've got some boring guy massaging his ego in a ridiculously long winded and unhelpful introduction. just get over yourself, you add nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, 19 July 2009
This book is a great insight or informant of the society that it was written in. The twist and turns of the story keep the reader's attention, but the attention to detail and links to the issues that concerned the late 1800's in my opinion, are the most interesting parts of the book. The style of writing is intricate and full. In my opinion the book is a great example of late 19th century writing and showed well how the society at the time was fascinated with mental illness, the consumption of substances and medical progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Sep 2014
Fast delivery and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars GCSE'S, 16 Sep 2013
Mrs. Patricia J. Holman (Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My son is studying this book as part of his GCSE'S and this version was dictated by the head of English at Aylesbury Grammar School. Prompt service and very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars The strange case of Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde, 21 May 2013
The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was bought for my higher english class.

This book, I must say, was amazing. At the time when I bought it, I did not have a clue what this book was about! When I read it, I was confused as Jekyll and Hyde were one person, and I thought that wasn't possible. But I grew to love it!

Would definitely recommend it!