5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quick referencing of commands
I just jumped on Amazon to see if their was a newer version of this great little book available (sadly not, but I see Ubuntu is getting a new one in August..) when I spotted that this had only received one (negative) review.

Published 17 months ago by George Burton

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money
I would not buy this book again. It has got a lot of information in for a little book, but as this is not focused on one thing or another, the information either too advanced or too simple. The information is too different to be in a book together.

I would get a book on shell scripting and a book that focuses on system administration.

This book would...
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by Breatnac

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but now quite what I expected., 12 May 2013
A good book but lacks a bit of depth, still it has a place on my book shelf although it may not be called upon as often as I would have hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quick referencing of commands, 1 Feb 2013

So to balance things out, I think this book is invaluable especially for new Linux sysadmins or those who don't relish reading man pages all the time. Although a little dated now (since the arrival of RHEL 6) this book has proven most useful for quickly checking on commands that I rarely use. It has a clear and concise layout and the author supplements each series of commands by explaining their purpose which I find very useful.

While this book is not a replacement for a heavy-weight sysadmin book it is an essential companion, and it remains on my desk at all times.

Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, 29 Jan 2010

This book would only be good for someone who wanted to configure a server at home for personal use, if you want to do it properly, get a more focused book.