5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on style....
Published on 19 Nov 2009 by maureen1963

2.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly Out of Touch
This book promises a lot but is badly put together. It shows impossibly groomed celebs and not ordinary people. The pictures do not match the text eg. on page 34 there is a quote about someone looking stunning in a short skirt while the photo opposite shows someone looking like an air hostess in uniform.
Time and again the photos bear no relation to the chapter, eg...
Published on 18 July 2011 by RubyRed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on style...., 19 Nov 2009
...I love buying these types of books (not that I'm saying that they have exactly turned me into a 'style icon' just yet!), and this is quite definitely the best. Very well written, absolutely beautiful photographs - and all the advice in it really makes sense. I've got hundreds of clothes, all of which I love as individual pieces - but I never know how to combine them to best effect. (I suspect most women are like this...we've got enough stuff, we just aren't using it properly!)

This book helped me put together a 'look', and (if you have the same problems in 'clothes combining' that I had) I recommend you buy it, take it up to your bedroom, open your wardrobe, and start matching things together. I did this, and people have been making comments to me at work about my 'new wardrobe' (it's all the same stuff - worn differently). Sometimes, it was as simple as putting a narrow belt around the outside of my cardigan, wearing 'statement' earrings (that I would never usually wear to work..)and adding bolder lipstick. I also experimented with skirt lengths and heel height, and more than a few people have commented on my 'weight loss' (there hasn't been any..)

I have bought around 10 'style' and 'fashion' books from Amazon - this is by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need to dress well for work, read this book!, 18 Jun 2010
Cat (Haute-Savoie, France) - See all my reviews
Great book for women of all ages, particularly for those of us who have to dress well for work.

It offers excellent advice and lots of photos so we can decide what feels right for us and what does not (which is just as important). I found it well written and a page-turner.

It motivated me to go through a major closet decluttering spree. And it worked beautifully! Instead of buying a few more clothes, I have now put together several good looking outfits using tops and pants I already had.

The return on investment was great for me:
I saved on shopping,
I saved on closet space,
I probably will make a bit of money selling a few items that were still new,
I will give a bunch of clean clothes to a charity,
And I now feel self confident and elegant when wearing my clothes.

I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing!!, 8 April 2009
My wardrobe was in a complete mess (and had been for years), but with the books easy step by step guide I was able to streamline my wardrobe in one afternoon. I now don't have a complete panic every morning deciding what to wear before I go to work! I found it almost impossible to throw anything away, however Paula's simple guide on what to keep and what to chuck kept me unemotional and made me decide on a style that works for me. The clothes included in the book are classy and timeless and there's definitely something in there for everyone - from twenties to sixties plus. The book is packed with fab style icons and the clothing is beautifully shot too. I would recommend this book to anyone going through a bit of a style crisis!!

5.0 out of 5 stars never has style seemed so effortless.., 6 April 2009
This book is a must have to update or complete any wardrobe. Covering everything from what the staples to having a simply great wardrobe are to what you could throw out and know you will never use or wear again. This step by step guide to knowing what the essentials are to looking great at any age. Let's face it it's no surprise that this book makes so much sense, whenever you see Paula Reed on television she is always looking fantastic. This book gives you ideas on how to achieve this. It is a more realistic approach to fashion, when to buy the latest trend and when to pass as it will be out in a month. She also expresses in the book that it is important to have your own personal style as we are not cookie cutter copies of eachother, and not everything works for everyone which is not always portrayed in other style books. This is a great addition to any library as it will give tips when you decide what you want to wear for any occasion at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value !, 29 Sep 2009
A great value book - every page was interesting and full of really useful tips and advice. The photo's were of current celebrities and it felt very fresh and relevant to today's fashion. I shall be re-reading it in the future - it was that good !

5.0 out of 5 stars Best style book i ever read, 5 Feb 2012
Forget the fashion magazins that give you the latest look with must-haves and all that on thin and tall women. The book tells you how not to become a fashion victim throwing money out of the window each season.

Instead, it gives very simple and clean advices on how to clean up your wardrob, how to buy basic pieces that are timeless, chic and fit, what you should buy cheap and treat as disposable (white t-shirts, balerinas) and how to invest in more expensive pieces that last long (trench coat, winter boots, suits).

Advices like a suit should have flat front trousers with no cuffle, and the jacket should have narrow lapels, flapless pockets and tailored waist save you time and money. This book should be on every woman's shelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly Out of Touch, 18 July 2011
Time and again the photos bear no relation to the chapter, eg. text about jackets faced with someone in a lurid green evening dress; talking about cleavage shows two models in up to the neck dresses, completely bizarre and totally confusing.
The "advice" is so useless it's insulting eg. "Find a brand (of jeans) and a shape within it that flatters your figure and stick with it"; well if we knew which brand to go for wouldn't we all do that anyway?
This is fine for a present if you have run out of gifty inspiration but not at all adequate for someone looking for serious style advice and management. I have returned it as I think its tone is derogatory and its layout completely random.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent fashion bible, 11 Sep 2009
A glossy informative fashion book with a mixture of celebrities and how to dress your own shape , to look and feel good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant style book, 2 Aug 2009
I thought this book was great. It is very easy to read, with up to date style tips. There is a section to suit your body shape, the event your going to, work wear and how to find your personal style. It gives tips to suit most types of people. It also gives you advice on how to organise your wardrobe, what to keep what to ditch so you have a good starting point. This book covers all aspects of dressing and is great to go back to again and again. Plus lots of pictures of ok yes celebs but they are at least wearing day to day clothes and not red carpet dresses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough substance, 17 Mar 2010
Hamstead (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book reminds me of those brief advice columns on fashion in glossy magazines. It's fairly superficial and the advice it gives is obvious, straightforward and adds nothing new to the oevre. It's a good, quick basic guide and pep-talk reminder, but not what I'd calle extremely useful. Also the illustrations of style? Yeeukk. Three quarters of the women in the photographs look like dog's dinners. If that's style, then you can keep it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›