5.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Think...
I believe I made changes to several websites after just a couple of chapters and they're much better for it.

Some of the points appear to be common sense and obvious, but only once you've read them!

I would describe this book as a must-read for web designers.
Published on 14 May 2007 by Sohnee

3.0 out of 5 stars Usability - for Americans
Steve Krug covers many aspects of usability in an accessible, light-hearted and easy to read way.

Published on 8 April 2009 by Amsterdamned

3.0 out of 5 stars Usability - for Americans, 8 April 2009

It must be said, though, that Krug's idea of usability is usability for Americans. He assumes we all come from the same place, speak the same language, use the same language scripts and so on. He dismisses web forms in a couple of sentences and international web site users in even fewer. In terms of international viewers of web sites, some of his advice is downright damaging.

Read this as an introduction to usability, but look further too - otherwise we will never be rid of the scourge of the required "State" field in forms ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Think..., 14 May 2007

I would describe this book as a must-read for web designers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up from me., 5 Jun 2006
Mr. G. Moseley (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
As someone approaching the subject of web usability for the first time I found Steve Krugs book to be an excellent introduction. This book is aimed at someone who would like to find out more about the basics of Usability testing. For example you may be a web designer of a small company where the business doesnt have the budget for a Usability department or a home user who wants to add that extra touch to your web pages or even as an introduction to the subject that escapes the tech lingo of Human Computer Interaction professionals.

I would give this book a big thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every web designer should read this., 23 Oct 2005
Cravenplan Computers Ltd (Salisbury, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very easy to read but full of useful advice. Every web site owner and web designer needs to read this book. The recommendations could easily add thousands to your bottom line if you're selling on line.
I particularly liked the "fixed" versions of home pages with the description of the "problem areas". All the other points covered were very clearly explained and easy to take on board. Particularly useful sections covering home page design and testing sites for usability.
I bought four books about usability recently and this is easily the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone doing anything on the web, 25 Jan 2010
In web terms the book might be ancient, but it is still very accurate. He manages to present complex matter in bite sized chucks you cannot stop eating. No boring academic writing. Through examples, pictures and bullet points you are fed all the basics you need to know to lift your website to a higher level.

Just get it ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't make me think- Usability for dummies, 5 May 2009
Ida Tafuri (Italy) - See all my reviews
When I bought this book I was redesigning my ecommerce website. Even if it was written almost five years ago, I found the suggestions given were very usefull.
Now, the beta version of my site is running I can actually see how much it was improved by following the hints this book gave me. And it's written in a way that even someone that don't work with this kind of thing can understand. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone involved in website production!, 15 Sep 2007
Since reading the first edition some years ago, I always refer to this book during usability presentations and recommend it to not only designers and developers, but also consultants, project managers and even clients. When the second edition was released in 2006 I purchased a few copies for the office and made it essential reading for everyone!

It's a very easy read and doesn't complicate matters with technical jargon, but instead relates to everyday tasks such as likening finding a product on a website to looking for a chainsaw in a hardware store. It examines the way we use the internet, it highlights that people don't use websites the way the designer intended and that we don't `read' websites, we scan them. It covers popular, common-sense solutions to these issues and uses clear, well-illustrated examples. It also talks about simplifying usability testing so you do enough of it, and uses some real-world examples to demonstrate.

It is an essential purchase for anyone involved in website creation and there are three new chapters in the second edition that help justify a new purchase if you already own the first edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is not about web application usablity!, 2 Nov 2005
Author honestly points out that his book is not about web application usablity and recommends "Web Application Design Handbook: Best Practices for Web-Based Software" himself. I ordered that book as well but I'm definitely not sorry about getting this one - it's good information for anyone working with web development.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... not bad but nothing informative, 18 Mar 2011
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Despite my 3 star rating there's nothing overly wrong or bad with this book. It's just that it's for beginners - junior designers etc, and won't offer anyone more experienced in the field anything of value.

Worth a read if you're a junior design, just starting out or some kind of marketing type who works with websites.

1.0 out of 5 stars steve krug - practice what you preach, 5 Feb 2011
I had to read Steve Krugs "Dont make me think book" for my university course. Ironic that he preaches to half the number of words on websites and yet he frequently repeats himself in that book again and again and again. The book could be done just as good in 10 pages. He tries to be funny but its just boring. You can get all the information in this book for free on the internet. its also 5 years out of date now.