on 16 December 2009
I would say this is not the best book I have read, however, if you are new to the whole house training thing, then I would recommend it as a good starting point. For someone who is already experienced it only serves to confirm what you have been doing right but does however offer some insightful tips and advice. However, the title is somewhat misleading as the book does go on to explain that no two dogs are the same, hence there is no guarantee that your dog will be fully housetrained within the 7 day period which is, in effect, an estimation/generalisation! That said, if you do follow the guidelines and stick to a strict regime your fury friend will inevitably catch on in no time at all. It just takes patience and persistence. Don't put pressure on yourself though and go at your and your dog's own pace. Remember, dogs are born followers and as their pack leader it is your responsiblity to lay down the ground rules and to be consistent in their training. That way, there is little room for failure. I have two puppies and would say it took about a month before they were fully housetrained. That said, even now at six months old I still stick to their routine like clockwork and always keep a close eye on them. This book will lay down the foundation for good house breaking.
on 6 August 2010
I bought this along with a famous dog trainer's book. My four month old puppy is now able to hold hold his bladder and bowels much longer and is beginning to ask to go outside. Having never owned a dog before I was incredibly clueless about how to begin training and this book got me up and running. In hindsight it is common sense but the clear, concise nature of this book meant that I could be confident about what I was doing and I was also able to grab and refer to it when not sure. The other book is a good read but not as helpful when getting down to basics.
What I think a lot of the reviewers don't get is that this book is a way to start you off, not an all round problem solver. I followed the schedules for the first week then adjusted as necessary for me and my dog. There is still the odd accident, but as an Early Years teacher I know that this perfectly normal for young animals, my little ones can mostly make it to the toilet on time but that doesn't mean I don't have spare clothes on hand!
I also invested in a crate and it has been brilliant. My puppy loves it and often puts himself to bed even when he has free run of the house.
Overall, a very useful book for those of us who want to be responsible and informed dog owners but are a little wet behind the ears.
on 15 May 2009
I got my puppy when he was 8 weeks old..the info doesnt really start until 12 weeks.....however I applied the rules(most of which are common sense) and now he is 11 weeks hes pretty good/reliable. The stuff about cage/crate training was very good, the puppy cried for 20 mins on his first night here, 10 the second, five the third and hasnt cried since, he goes into it at night without being asked, lies down quietly and goes straight to sleep. never having used one before, I definitely will again..it has made the nights peaceful and dry!
on 27 May 2006
Our little tear away "Sophie" is fourteen months old, and because she is so beautiful gets away with almost anything! But it was getting to be a ritual every morning, cleaning up after her. It was then that we decided to GET HELP!!!!!!!!

So we took the advice of the book (slightly modified)it to suit our babies needs! We were very suprised to see how quickly Sophie took to this and now she is not a little tear away anymore but a little ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all.
on 18 March 2007
BUY IT AND DO IT!!!!

Follow the guide and be realistic. the book has great advice for a dog of 3 to 4 months. younger than that it does still has good advice. THIS BOOK DOES WORK. HINT: we too 2 weeks off and worked to through the book. JUST F.A.B.
on 1 October 2010
hi brrrrilliant book our puppy george was trained in 4 DAYS YES 4 DAYS just stick to what whe book says and hope you have a clever dog like george it also works on lead training buy it NOW vic kingswinford
on 6 September 2009
A very easy read and a very good reminder if you have not had a puppy for a lot of years.
The book helps to retrain the owner and not just the puppy for successful housebreaking.
on 10 July 2009
The techniques described in the book work well and it helped us train our puppy in about 10 days. Our puppy did end up eating the book, so I had to take one star off for that :-)
on 21 April 2012
The book was a good read and suggested ways of housebreaking your dog in different situations. But found that I coudn't follow this advice as I have 2 other dogs and 2 cats. With 1 dog it would work well I assume. Not for us though which is ashame.
on 12 December 2015
I first bought this book almost 20 years ago. My then new puppy was trained in 3 days. A few months later we got another dog from a rescue that came with serious behavioural problems, although this grown up dog had not had any potty training before, she was clean around the house after 10 days. Since then, the book, and schedules in it, have been a companion that comes back into service everytime the dogs get out of schedule, for example when their rotine is disturbed for a few days due to visitors, illnesses or operations, holidays and kennel stays. It has been a godsend even at geriatric stage.

We just got another dog from a rescue, and the book is still as good, I needed to re read the pages about giving the dog some reassurance by staying with her in the garden untill she did her business, just while she was getting familiar with our home. 4 days of following the book and she was clean around the house.

Having said that, this book doesn't present you with a magic solution, or makes your dog hold ad infinitum, it just gives you some clear and concise advice on how to make your puppy or dog understand what are you expecting of them, and some very useful routines to ensure your dog eats at the right time to be ready to go out to the toilet at certain convenient times of the day.