on 16 July 2008
I bought this book before embarking on potty training my 2.5 year old daughter. I was encouraged by the customer review and thought I would go ahead and buy it - I was not disappointed.

Having read the Gina Ford book (Potty Training in One Week), I knew that approach was not for me - far too regimented and unrealistic and no FUN!

This book has a real common sense approach to training with lots of advice on pre-training, setting up, prize/reward systems, dealing with (inevitable) accidents, and follow-up advice once your child becomes independent.

I have read and re-read this book - it seems to have an answer for any problem which arises during the training period. I followed her advice and my little girl is now pretty independent after a couple of weeks of training - we've had accidents along the way but we are getting there.

The book advises a light-hearted, "let's make this fun" kind of approach which appealed to me and, more importantly, WORKED !!

Good Luck !
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2007
Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Potty Training Solution is one amazing book. She knows exactly what a parent needs to succeed in teaching their toddler to use the potty. I have twin boys and I never thought I would be able to get them to stop peeing on the floor and into a potty. Elizabeth's book helped me do that. The one thing that I like best about the book is that Elizabeth has real families telling their potty problems. Wow!!! I'm not alone, real people, real problems but with Elizabeth's help, a real solution. That is what I love about the No Cry Potty Training Solution. It is easy to follow and the quick reference guides are wonderful. Most importantly, Elizabeth eloquently describes that you don't have to follow a set standard on how or when you should potty train. She simply states that it is ok to follow your child's cues and do what works best for you and your family. Only you know your child best. I however, think that Elizabeth knows every child best. I recommend that if you are even thinking about potty training...look no further, run out and get this book right away. I promise you won't be able to put it down.
on 16 May 2010
I loved the quiz in this book, it helps you decided if your child is ready to use a potty/toilet themselves, or if its just wishful thinking on the parents part. I bought it when my daughter was 2 and showed signs of being ready, but I thought she was still a bit young.
I did the quiz and it said she's ready and gave some very practical suggestions, which I tried and she was out of nappies in a few days.
I think the difference between now a days and our parents days is that these days, with such good disposables, its far harder to recognise the signs, for us and our kids. Plus its so much easier, no washing nappies 3 times a week for us, so we can tend to let it slide for much longer.
If you're happy to wait till they are ready (ie, can tell you themselves they need the loo) and want an easy time for both child and adult, (without having to ask every 5 mins, all day long, for months 'Do you need a wee'), then this is the book for you.
on 29 January 2009
Fantastic book for potty training has several questionnaires to help you decide if your child is ready for potty training the pointers and tips really helped and worked wonders for getting my son on the toilet. Very easy to read parent friendly great for any parent who has a more relexed approach like myself and wants to wait until they feel that their child is ready rather than just going by what a text book says. I would highly recommend this book.
on 12 September 2008
This is a necessity for every parent starting potty training for their toddles. It is very flexible because it gives the parent many options. I used it for my 2 year old daughter and I lent it to my sister to use it for her daughter too. The author stresses two main points which I always remember whenever my daughter makes accidents: patience and encouragement. This book can be used again and again for all your children. I am saving it now for my newborn baby boy.
on 26 March 2009
This book is brilliant - much more realistic and user friendly than 'potty training in one week'! There are loads of tips for coping with problems and it really helps you see this task from the childs point of view. Really helpful.
on 27 September 2011
I tried this approach, but we just weren't getting anywhere with it - maybe it was just a bit early. A month or so later I bought the Nappy Fairy book (which I think is only on Kindle)and that method really did the trick. I think the timing helped, but it was also a more fun way of dealing with potty training, making it all part of a game that my daughter wanted to play along with too.
on 8 June 2011
Fantastic, realistic book. When I started off potty training my 2 1/2 year old daughter, I have spent a fortune on other potty books, charts, rewards and other things to get my daughter on the potty and was getting to the point when I was getting annoyed with not making any progress, this book was my last resort I wish I had bought it sooner as it would have saved me money that I didnt have to dish out and countless amount of tears and stress. But the best thing about this book is that its not written by some one that doesn't have children she is a mother and knows what she is talking and writting about. This is a must have book for any parent that is going through potty trainnig, dont be put off by how thin the book is though, its jam packed with wonderful ideas and solutions, its also a stress relief for parents as well...a must for all parents!!
on 20 August 2014
Informative book. Perhaps I had done too much googling before buying it but there was nothing new that I hadn't found in the Internet. Gave 4 stars because it's a good summary of basic facts and solutions. However, in our specific situation (child simply refuses to sit on a potty) didn't help much.
on 2 December 2008
For me this is the best book I have come across on potty training. I used it for my son - and although I wouldn't say it was a joy training him - it was much easier than I expected. The most useful thing for me was the detailed readiness questionnaire. It considers both the readiness of the child - such as language skills, interest in the subject, independence and also of the parent and of the whole family - even including if the next few months were going to be particularly stressful and busy. It covers a huge range of potential issues and problem and what I particularly like is its additute. It emphasis that there are lots of techniques that you can try and which ones work just depends one where you and your child's personalities and situation.