5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case , cheap price
Case arrived in good condition within a few days. Installed a HD to the case in approx 3 - 5 minutes , no problem with windows detecting it.

The case comes with a backup program , however you dont have to install it if you don't want to use the 1 button backup program.

Unit is quiet (can't even hear the fan) and remains cool.

10/ 10
Published on 5 May 2008 by J. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it looks!
The drive looks great (apart from the switch, come to that later)

The drive installation is the easiest i have ever had, pop it apart, pop the drive in, cover back on, job done.
The USB 3 is really fast.

Now the bit i don't like.

Published 17 months ago by K. Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case , cheap price, 5 May 2008
J. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews

Unit is quiet (can't even hear the fan) and remains cool.

10/ 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit., 14 April 2008
I received my Allcam HDD enclosure 2 days after ordering it, so well done Amazon! I ordered a brand new 250 GB hard drive to use it with.

I plugged everything in (without the instructions. it is quite straight forward).

Win XP recognized the box instantly, installed drivers and said that my new hardware is ready to use. However, I did not see it in my computer.

After checking the Allcam website, I realized that I had forgotten to format my new hard drive (as is always the advice given by computer experts). Instructions can be found on the Allcam website. [...]

I followed the instructions on how to format a hard drive, it was easy. I had never done it before, and I got it first time :) It only took 5 minutes to complete as well!

After formatting, the drive appeared in my computer and worked straight away. I am impressed; I also like the inbuilt fan feature which increases the longevity of the hard disk.

I have already started moving documents over.

If there is a drawback with this product, it is that the sleek-looking glossy body attracts finger prints no end. But this is the case with most of the things on my table so I don't mind too much.

Allcam gives four screws (and a spare one for those careless people like me) as well as a screw driver to help fix the hard drive in place so that it doesn't rattle when moved.

I personally give this product an A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value. USB3 is fast., 24 Mar 2011
Good value and works well.
Build is good considering the price, no problems with connectors or switch (unlike some other USB HD devices I've seen advertised).
USB3 is very fast compared with USB2.

Note the enclosed instructions state:
1) It works with a maximum 1.5 TB drive.
Surely USB3 and SATA are serial interfaces which shouldn't limit the size.
Possibly this is power-supply related.

2) The USB3 adaptor should be powered up before the USB3 cable is connected to the computer.
This is a minor hassle because it means you can't just leave the USB3 plugged in and turn on the adaptor power when you want to use the drive.

I got an average data rate of about 100 MBytes/s (Bytes not Bits per second) for an 8 GB transfer (to an SATA-300 drive) with Win 7. This compares with about 60 MBytes/s for an old internally-connected IDE parallel ATA drive which I use for backups.

The USB3 cable is just under 1m (3ft) long which is OK, but not as long as a typical USB2 cable.
However USB3 is a high-speed specification so you won't find it easy to get a longer cable anywhere.
For example 5m USB3 cables may be physically impossible.
I've even seem some 30cm (12") USB3 cables advertised (barely as long as SATA connectors).

I've connected mine up with a Hitachi 1TB SATA-300 drive and in an old USB2 enclosure which I was otherwise going to have to junk. A nice alternative to buying yet another enclosure and easy to swap drives around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy and very reliable, 7 Jan 2008
Not only does it look simple, it is very simple to fit a new SATA HD and connect up. No screws, just quick release clips and you're away. I've had *other* makes and models of external HD cases and this one fits the bill perfectly. Ooh yes, the fan hasn't become noisy yet (if it does then it's simple to disconnect). I've also had no issues with transferring files from a few KB to 50 or so GB. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it looks!, 21 Feb 2013
The drive looks great (apart from the switch, come to that later)

The USB 3 is really fast.

Now the bit i don't like.

The switch is really poor quality, no positive click and i have had to push a number of times, the only way you are certain its on is when the switch illuminates. When the PC is powered down/restarted the switch has to be reset/ switched on again, this means the drive has to be in a very accessible place, not what i wanted!
Because you can't be sure its powered up you have to have the switch facing you which means you have the power cable and USB 3 cable looped at the front because they are all on one end, a right mess!

I have a number of 3.5" external drives, all remain switched on and power straight away from the PC start, my 2.5" drives are PC powered so this is not an issue

I should mention, i use a power down extension to power all my devises off with computer shut down, if i left my drives running all the time day and night this would probably not be an issue,

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jan 2008
This little device is great. Easy to use, no configuration needed, works with XP, Vista without any problems. Just about to order a second one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some unsatisfactory aspects to implementation of design, 4 April 2013
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Needing to replace an older but now too small external hard drive, I bought this to take advantage of an especially advantageous price possible on a fast 3TB internal HDD. Unfortunately, none of the enclosure designs that I have used previously appeared to be available as the search for "3.5 inch USB 3.0 enclosure" failed to offer anything familiar and it is an instance where buying what may be available rather than what is preferred is the one remaining choice.

I had not had any prior experience of the brand or the specific case design and it needed all of 5 seconds to figure out that the button on the front releases the metal base and allows the drive to be installed. No tools are needed and installation should take 1-2 minutes from start to finish, if not less.

Within the enclosure is a plastic sheet which should be retained to insulate the drive's circuit board from incidental contact with the metal surface and to prevent a possible short-circuit. It is a rather loose fit and significantly smaller than the enclosure and may allow a short-circuit to occur were it to become displaced.

The case construction is flimsy, to say the least, and is mostly plastic other than its thin metal base. Although sometimes illustrated as having a rocker switch for power control, it uses an inexpensive and none-too-positive push-switch. As several more short-cuts have been taken in the design and assembly of the product, it is likely that it would have been used until a better alternative became available. A second search using the original parameters offered a preferred enclosure within hours of receipt of this enclosure and another order has been raised to replace this.

The design employs a cut-out stand which allows the enclosure to loosely rest within it and to slide around quite freely within the slot. I have experienced several other enclosures using similar stands which will operate considerably cooler used vertically in the stand than they will if used horizizontally, whether or not any feet are provided or fitted to faciliate that alternative (none are supplied in this instance). I would have preferred an all-metal enclosure as it is not just the circuit board (closest to the metal side) that warms up in use but the whole drive unit. There are no ventilation slots and only minimal gaps where external connections are made and it is a concern that the cooling of an often- or extensively-used drive may be rather restricted. As I intended to install a 7200RPM HDD, and it is one that I know from use in a wholly unsuitable enclosure accummulated sufficient heat within a short time to melt some of its internal plastics, I had visions of much the same thing happening with this.

The enclosure may suffice for a lower spindle speed HDD, especially one that is infrequently used, but some concerns remain. On the plus side, it includes the possibility of an eSATA connection via the additional provided cable although there are relatively few PCs now being sold that offer eSATA by default. It can be added as an option to some, but only if you have a traditional tower cased PC and they are becoming far less popular than once they were. Laptop and all-in-one users will not have that choice.

Quality is moderate rather than very good but the price is also moderate. If the perceived problems appear irrelevant, then buy it on price but there is better to be had for another 10 or so. It isn't one that I can confidently recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 17 Nov 2009
R. Crossman (london) - See all my reviews
i brought one of these to replace the failed electronics in my failed seagate 1.5tb external drive enclosure :( as i had valuable data on the hard drive (i had no choice but to replace the enclosure) easy to setup quiet,fast transfer of data power switch and at least i can get access to my data on the hard drive i would recommend this hard drive enclosure as it saved my bacon!!! if you are using a new hardrive make sure you format it first (tip for those having problems with new hardrives) and last but not least the delivery was fast i would be buying another one of these before you cant get them worth the money

1.0 out of 5 stars USB 3, but shuts down if you are not using it, 18 Jan 2013
It's a USB 3.0 caddy, nothing else to say. Dropping the disk in is simple, the nicest design I have come across for fitting. The on off button would be better on the other end of the unit.

But the firmware is driving me nuts, it winds the disk down after about a minute of idle, so pause a film and you have to wait for the disk to wind back up again, it's a nightmare if you wish to use this caddy for media etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints :) !!, 25 Jan 2009
I had an old hard drive lying around so i thought "I know i'll turn it into an external". After ordering it, this product arrived within 3 days on the cheapest delivery type. Top stuff!

For the non-techie it might seem a bit daunting when it arrives with its own screw driver etc, but believe me, its sooo simple. I had it assembled in seconds. XPpro recognised it straight away and bingo i was backing up my music and pictures instantly.

Its also nice and quiet and looks fairly sleek on your desk. I'd definately buy another one :)