on 2 June 2011
Recently purchased this item and am so far pretty pleased with the results. The bung in the spout works a treat and I found the variety of measure units printed on the sides very helpful. Sturdier than other fat separators I've tried. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because 1) there was some occasional seepage of liquid from between the grey strainer section and the jug as it was poured - not as snug a fit as it could be - and 2) cleaning the spout is a little awkward as it's very narrow, particularly where it meets the bottom of the jug.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 31 July 2014
Fabulous separator - wouldn't be without it on a Sunday when I am making gravy for the roast dinner. Simple to use and effective. You pour in the fat and juices from the roasting tin through the grey filter at the top - large and easy to use. With the stopper in the spout, you wait a short time and the fat rises to the top, the juices to the bottom. When you tip the jug, the juices come out of the spout first and the fat last, so it is very easy to judge how much you want. Cleans well in a dishwasher. Very pleased with it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
I usually only need a gravy/fat separater once a year at Thanksgiving with my turkey, and once in awhile at Christmas. But, at that time, you really need a good fat separater. One of my daughters and her husband are very health conscious, and they hate fat. They will eat gravy as long as there is no fat that rises to the top. This separater is so good, that it is difficult to see the fat. Only I know it is there.

This comes equipped with an integrated strainer, this separator and server is perfect for both preparing and pouring gravy. Plus, it can hold up to 4 cups--enough for all of my family. It is recommended by Cook's Illustrated, and hat is more than enough for me.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 09-22-13
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 May 2008
I've had a number of different plastic fat separators and most have become cracked over time with exposure to the high temperatures of hot fat coming from a roasting tray. However, this one, that I've had for couple or years or so, has not cracked and does the job well. It has a good capacity and the removable sieve catches larger bits and pieces that have not dissolved, though I do sometimes have to pass the separated gravy through a finer sieve before serving.

It is dishwasher-proof and doesn't retain any meaty smells after cleaning, which is a bonus as I have another use for it in which any carry-over smells/tastes would be a problem, viz., I collect the outflow liquid from a juice extractor for such fruits as pineapple, that create a foam on the surface of the juice, straight into the fat separator. I can then pour off the clearer juice leaving the foam behind.
on 5 January 2011
This is a wonderful gadget - does what it says - separates the "good"from the "bad".
However this particular one is a little small but Ok for a small family - I already owned the 4 cup version which I have now given to my daughter-in-law who used it on Christmas Day and found it "wonderful" for make the turkey gravy
on 24 November 2010
This product does exactly what it says it does. It's a little more expensive than the cheaper ones available, but I had a cheaper one and it cracked in less than a year.
on 13 December 2015
Edit - review update after using

I confirm my 5 star for this. It seems slightly odd to ram the stopper into the spout and then pour the fatty gravy into it but only a tiny bit of the liquid migrates into the bottom of the spout keeping all the oil/fat where you want it. Once it has settled, removing the stopper let's you pour almost to the last drop without getting any fat out. My only regret is that I didn't buy the bigger one first time around. Typical piece of OXO kit, by which I mean, good quality.

Original review

Bah humbug, I bought the 500ml one by mistake (meant to get the 1000ml) after flicking back and forth between different brands/pictures, my mistake but take care before confirming order.

I have't used it yet but it looks solid enough and the capacity will undoubtedly do the job for my wife and I and probably for 4 but not sure how I'll manage when I am making gravy for 8 - 12.

This is a better design than the previous type I used which had a cock-eyed method of blocking the spout hole with an integral part of the strainer/handle that was poking down inside, all very clumsy. Was glad when it fractured and started to crack up. I will update if there is anything to add but every OXO product I have used to date has been quality so I expect the same from this.

PeterFromSandhurst
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
I have several OXO brand products and have never been disappointed and this is no different. It is very well made and does the job exactly as it is supposed to. I find that it only takes a couple of minutes to separate the fat from the stock and the stopper is a good touch.
on 30 October 2015
"It does just what it says on the box"
I bought this as a replacement for my old plastic one that eventually cracked at the base after 40 years of good service. This one more than adequately fills its place - especially with the stopper - a simple idea that stops fat going up the spout; and the separator on the top beats juggling with a sieve.
More than happy to recommend
on 19 June 2011
This is now the 3rd item I have bought from OXO Good Grips. Quite simply they make top quality items which are reasonably priced. With the separator, I know I could have bought similar for a cheaper price but I appreciate that this is top quality and will last. It also does an excellent job!

See one answered question