4.0 out of 5 stars Simply José
Published on 27 Sep 2007 by Toby Staunton

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice music, but...
Jose Gonzalez is a competant and quite likeable musician. However (as other reviewers have pointed out) I believe he does pretty much rip off Mark Kozelek's beautiful and much more accomplished work.

I wouldn't dream of 'dissing' Gonzalez as he is clearly a talent, but would merely like to point his fans in the direction of the work of Mark Kozelek, and his...
Published on 29 Aug 2009 by PSD

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply José, 27 Sep 2007
Toby Staunton "dancing mole" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
I never quite know what to say when trying to explain José Gonzáles because he is one of those rare musicians who does not try to add little hooks and intracacies to their music. Instead what you hear on this album is what you hear on the last (Veneer) a beautiful, elegant guitar line with a double layer of vocals. You could infact convince me that In Our Nature is Veneer's older more mature brother. The lyrics are certainly more focused and thoughtful, and somehow seem more passionate, though how I could not say.

As with the debut there is also one perfectly picked cover. This time Jose has gone for a trip-hop classic in the form of 'Teardrop' and has created a beautiful alternate version for the song. The members of Massive Attack can sleep safe knowing that one of their masterpieces has been delicately and successfully reworked.

Overall José is doing what he does best and making the most charming, elegant and heartfelt music that you can find at the moment. I dare you not to smile when you listen to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 24 Sep 2007
G. K. Langbridge "Gabster" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
Wow, just got this after reading a glowing sunday times review, and I have to say was not disapointed! Such a simple yet beautiful album. Jose's guitar playing is as effortlessly brilliant as on Veneer. Lyrically very deep without being overwrought, I can see this getting better and better with every listen, without doubt, a future classic..

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Veneer, but ever so close, 29 Sep 2007
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
Well I guess I wasn't alone in the universe in being absolutely besotted with 'Veneer'. I'm not at all musical myself, so I couldn't pin down what it was that made me fall so hopelessly in love with songs like 'Heartbeats' and 'Crosses' to mention but a few, but it's an album that I will never tire of listening to. So I bought this album with very high expectations, particularly having heard the single 'Down the Line'. After a couple of listens, it's still - for me - the standout track of the album. The rest of the album is still stunningly beautiful, and I agree that there's a real sense of maturity about the lyrics, but at this moment in time I haven't quite fallen in love with it . . . yet. 'Veneer' is, in my opinion, still the superior album but by no means does that mean that you needn't buy this. It's beautiful, calming, and I'm sure it will mould itself a place in my heart - and yours - in the very near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars José Delivers., 27 Nov 2007
Tom Chase (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
I've read reviews claiming "In Our Nature" is merely "Veneer Part 2" and sees Gonzalez re-hashing a winning formula. I feel these accusations are a little unjust. "Veneer" showcased such a wonderfully unique singer/songwriter sound that it would be hard and pointlessly dangerous to move too far adrift. Unfortunately the classic sophomore criticism is apparent thanks to this inimitable style; grand expectations of something new and better become rife. I feel that while the overall sound is undeniably similar, the album is in no way the same. It touches on different subjects and evokes new moods and atmospheres.

"In Our Nature" is another superb album from José Gonzalez, continuing his sound and style, but addressing new problems and forging new atmospheres and moods. It contains a number of songs which I feel to be his best work to date, such as the pinnacle "Teardrop", the striking "Fold" and the powerful climax of "Cycling Trivialities". Take this for what it is, not some wild new direction. Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
It's such a shame that people only seem to know Jose Gonzalez for his covers (most notably the omnipresent "Heartbeats"). He's an immensely talented musician and songwriter in his own right, as this record shows. It's beautiful, complex and captivating after just a few listens. Stand out tracks have to be the single "Down The Line" and the dark, heartbreaking "The Nest". Overall, an achingly beatiful record which shows that Jose Gonzalez is destined for greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars low key, honest, down-to-earth...cuts to the chase, 17 May 2014
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
Listen to this on a quiet night with someone close or alone, have a glass of wine and meditate about life. Priceless

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
I bought this as a present for my mum-she loves it! It's great value (under £3!) and is in a proper CD case not one of those cardboard ones!

4.0 out of 5 stars Relax and unwind, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
Nice easy listening album. Great to listen to on a sunny day, kicking back with a beer in the garden or equally on a Winters night in front of the fire with a glass of red in your hand. I'm no music critic but I know what I like and this is it. I'd recommend it but give it a listen before you buy. The joys of the modern world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled out music, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: In Our Nature (MP3 Download)
Really enjoy his voice and great to chill out to! Definitely worth a listen to. Give it a go! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as distinct., 22 May 2012
This review is from: In Our Nature (Audio CD)
I bought the first Jose Gonzalez album and was totally mesmerised by the flow of the acoustics and the distinct sound of all the tracks. This album is really good and a great follow on but somewhere it just lacks the distinct sound of the first. However, I've still enjoyed it and don't doubt that it will grow on me in time.

In Our Nature
In Our Nature by José González (Audio CD - 2007)