4.0 out of 5 stars You haven't bought fakes don't worry!
Published on 18 May 2008 by Fish Friend

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but didn't last long
Published on 23 Nov 2007 by anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars You haven't bought fakes don't worry!, 18 May 2008
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I already owned a pair of these and came to the reviews to see if others' disappointment was similar to my own. Reading no end of reviews I learnt a lot, first I thought that perhaps I'd bought counterfeits or that as others had mentioned the much lauded "bass-driven sound" was a con. Bass was certainly absent on mine. Then I read further about "the fit" and others' experiences experimenting with the different sized rubber cups that come supplied. I played around with mine and low and behold the bass is there, rich deep sound. I know nothing about headphone technology but a millimetre move deeper into your ear releases all of the sound that these things were clearly designed for, bizarre, but a relief to discover the sound quality. On the down side as all humans' ear canals must vary a bit there may be some people who find it impossible to achieve this fit and can't enjoy the full quality of these great earphones. Once I'd achieved the bass sound I wanted I noticed the other common observation, when I move my head the sound of anything brushing the cables is magnified inside your head, if you clear your throat the sound is hard-wired directly into your brain too. The other point that perplexes people is one cable being longer than the other, the instructions with mine clearly indicate that this is to pass the left phone behind your head before inserting. And there is an advantage to this as it clearly does minimize the sound effect of any friction with the cable. My main criticism would be the great importance of achieving the correct fit in order to release the full sound and the poor instructions that come with them in reference to this issue. Perhaps in typical corporate fashion they didn't want to admit to any weakness in the product because they do require some tweaking to get the right fit.

SUMMARY, great sound but you have to get them deeper into your ear, when you achieve this you will also notice that cable friction sound can intrude, however passing the extra long cable behind your head minimizes this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones but make sure you use the right ear pads!, 22 Nov 2007
C. BALFOUR (Didcot, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I have avoided the ear canal type headphones for a long time but after my latest headphones broke I looked around and found that most companies are concentrating on the ear canal types so decided to give them a go.

After being a happy Sennheiser customer for years I decided to go with the CX300's after reading other customer reviews. I made sure that I bought from Amazon's main store rather than the cheap marketplace versions as I have tried some fake CX300's off Ebay and they are awful.

The best tip I could give is to find the best fitting of the three supplied ear pads and to ensure that the headphones are securely in your ears. I went for the medium ones at first but found they were coming out of my ears with the slightest pull on the cable. The larger ones were fine, making the phones stay in my ears and also making sure of no sound escaping. It's important to push the headphones right into your ears as the bass tends to be the thing that suffers when the phones are not pushed in well.

If you are not used to these style of headphones then beware that as they are right in your ears you can hear things that you might not normally hear with headphones If you are walking and listening you can hear every footstep reverberating through your body! Furthermore, if you are eating you can hear every sound from inside your mouth very clearly! It's weird but part and parcel of using these sort of headphones I'm afraid!

Once the headphones are fitted well the sound quality is very rewarding with great bass, excellent bright treble and the biggest bonus for me was hearing midrange sounds of things like guitars and keyboards which is where you truly hear parts of the music you will have never heard before. Some people might say that the sound is bordering on harsh but I think it's exciting and involving.

I have also tried some Sony MDR-EX71SLB headphones that a friend owned, which were great but gave a more warm and subtle sound and that might be more to some people's taste. One way in which the CX300's are better than the Sonys are with regards to the volume levels as the output is much higher. As a result you don't need to pump up your volume control so much and use more battery power.

Lastly the cable length of 1.2 metres is ideal for me after owning Sennheisers with 1.0 metre lengths which is too short

Bottom line - Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the black ones, 31 Aug 2007
J. Connolly (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I previously owned the black CX300's which broke a few weeks ago after being battered around for the best part of the year. I got stuck using your basic in ear headphones until these arrived, and you really notice the difference. The bog standard headphones felt uncomfortable and sounded pretty bad.

Then these white CX300's arrived, nice and cheap and the sound quality (especially base) is pretty awesome still. But the main thing is the cable, the white ones have a kinda rubberised cable, which feels nicer and a lot more flexible than the black one. The cable is what broke on the black ones, the sheathing breaking in two places.

I heartily recommend these CX300's, and the eco packaging's a nice idea too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacing Sony In-Ear earphones., 31 Aug 2007
C. Corbett (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Lost one channel of my Sony In-Ear 'phones after many years of service so I decided to get these. I am not disappointed. Good bass yet clear as a bell. Good seperation too. I am used to in-ear 'phones and know that bass is dependant on how deep they go in your ear. Here's a tip for fitting the 'phones. Use your left hand - over your head- to pull-up the right ear whilst pushing the ear-bud into the ear with the right hand. Same method on other ear. This gets the depth for good sound and secure fitting. No joke; this works.
Best regards.
PS. No! there is no need to stand on one leg when inserting the ear-bud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, 13 Aug 2007
N. Towers (North Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Full, warm bass and clean treble, reduced external noise, and comfortable to wear. The sound quality is so good (and I'm fussy about these kinds of things) that I find myself listening to my iPod even more than I used to. It's true that the in-ear design means you get rumble from the cable when you move, but I don't find this a problem. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I bought a Sony Walkman a few years back and for some reason whatever earphones that came with any CD or MP3 player I have ever bought never are able to sit in my ears.
I bought these headphones for myself near Christmas and for the past 7 months I haven't had a single complaint about them. They fit perfectly in my ear because of the changeable ear plugs and the sound quality is fantastic as you aren't losing any volume. They don't fall out at all unlike others even when running or cycling.

Well worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars you can't beat a bit of sennheiser.............., 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Tempted by the 99p price available on a certain other online marketplace website? Don't be. Think you might find that the Hong Kong version isn't entirely comparable to what you'll pick up here. These headphones are ridiculously cheap anyway and, at this price, cheaper than the pair that come with your Ipod. Much better quality and more durable too. Just make sure you fit them snugly in your ear. One word of warning though, if you like to listen to music when you're on the move (as opposed to on the train like me) then you might want to look elsewhere as any rubbing against the lead can be heard in your ear. Ouch!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but didn't last long, 23 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Ordered these from amazon and they came in good time, sound was great with just enough bass, found the right fitting for my ears out of the set that came with the headphones. Now 6 months on, the sound in the right ear gradually started to fade which, as anyone used to wearing in ear earphones would tell you, was INCREDIBLY annoying as having the sound coming from one ear and silence coming from the other is pretty crap. A few days after the degredation began the right ear now barely emits a whisper. These earphones have been treated with the utmost of care up until now and there's no logical explanation for the loss of sound. Can only assume they're not meant for daily use. Steer clear unless you plan on having to replace these every few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a bit of getting used to but worth the effort, 6 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Having had them for about 3 months now I love them, but it wasn't a case of love at first listen because as a lot of reviewers on here have mentioned, like other inner earphones, they pick up a lot of noise that you wouldn't notice with conventional in ear phones. When I first put them in they sounded great, but the first time I walked to work in them, I thought they were a disaster, because they transmit the sound of your breathing, footsteps and the cord brushing against your clothes straight into your ears, and it seemed they were fatally flawed for this reason.
*BUT* within a few days your brain stops taking in the stuff it doesn't want to hear, and all you notice is the music, which is as good as you'll hear from a set of earphones not costing silly money.

The other thing that you have to get used to is getting a proper seal when you put them in your ears, because if you don't, they sound pretty brash and tinny. This is a bit tricky at first, but you soon get used to it and whereas I had to fiddle around for ages when I first got them to make them sound as they should, I can just pop them in my ears now and get the desired results straightaway. Once in properly, the CX300s reward with a rich and deep sound that conveys a lot of detail, and as they shut out so much extraneous noise, really allow you to lose yourself in your music - so much so that you need to make an extra effort to look out for traffic and muggers as it's very easy to lose track of what's happening in the outside world.

A great upgrade to replace the cheapo 'phones that come with most if not all personal audio devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for cycling, but not running., 1 Sep 2007
Mr. Toby F. Buxton (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
For cycling, great, because there's no need to turn up the volume and be periodically deafened and unable to hear as traffic goes past. For such a good price, the quality of the noise isolation is great. However, in the city I wouldn't recommend using them for cycling, because you will be unable to hear traffic around you. For rural parts, though, perfect.
However, don't try them for jogging. The cable picks up on the shocks as you run, causing the sound to get distorted. I imagine this is annoying if you are a runner, but since I'm not they are fine for me.
The Eco packaging is a great idea, it's not a huge blister pack like you might find in the shops but a really small cardboard package. If everything was packaged like this, we'd get along fine.

ARRAY(0xaa0071b0)