5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of The Best
Published on 3 Mar 2008 by Suzannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some music I feel
This was my 1st yogalates DVD and I fear it may be my last. Whilst the exercises are relatively easy to follow and I'm sure would do some good over time, there is no background music so it's hard to stick with. Its also quite long, and she recommends you do it at least 3 times a week plus brisk walks to feel the benefits. I don't have the luxury of an hour plus 3 times a...
Published 5 months ago by H. C. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of The Best, 3 Mar 2008
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
Solomon Yogalates is the creation of Louise Solomon from Byron Bay Australia. She was injured in a Yoga class by being forced into a pose and then found Pilates and did that while she was recovering from her Yoga injury. She missed the meditative aspects of Yoga, and returned to her Yoga practice. She then fused Yoga and Pilates together and created a wonderful and effective Method called Yogalates. I like this DVD program because it is a compilation of all the best Yogalates workouts on one DVD, hence the name, Essential Yogalates. There are 6 workouts on it along with the guided meditation/relaxation session that is led by Louise's daughter Crystal and a warm up session. The first workout is 'Instant Abs' and that is an intense workout as it is 10-15 minutes of abdominal exercises. The second workout is Bun Toning, the third workout is Leg Shaping, the fourth targets the arms and upper body, workout 5 is Basic Abs and it says it is a gentle workout that will sculpt the stomach. Finally the last workout on the DVD is the Total Body which is of course from the Total Body toner (workout 4 from that DVD). I didn't know what this DVD was going to be until I received it buying it online. Some people might think that Louise et al were 'too lazy' to come up with another original workout program, but I don't. I think it is a great re-cap. This DVD was compiled based on feedback from worldwide users of The Solomon Yogalates Series. The running time is 108 minutes (approximately) and the relaxation session is absolutely wonderful (it is the one from the Energizer DVD). Really and truly if you can only buy one Yogalates DVD, then this should be the one to consider because it has the most popular workouts of her series all in one program. You can of course customize your workouts according to your time constraints. At the end of each workout, Louise always reminds you that you can either stay in a yoga relaxation pose for 5-10 minutes or you can continue on to the next workout. I bought this DVD because I decided I wanted to own all the DVDs in the series, and I have the complete series. I bought four of the DVDs in a week LOL! I have a lot of exercising to do in the next little while (LOL). I even have the Yogalates book, which I find a great workout tool while travelling. To say I am a big fan of Louise's Method is an understatement! I think if I lived closer to her, I would go and get certified to teach her program. Her instructor program is 6 months long and the course takes place in Byron Bay Australia.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yogates is a life changing workout, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I have tried all the Louise Soloman Yogalates dvds. I highley recommend them all. I have tried different yoga over the last 7 years. Including Vinyassa, Ashtanga, Hatha etc. Louise Soloman combines Yoga and Pilates, hense 'Yogalates'. This dvd has the best bits from all her previous dvd's, which is probably debatable, thats why the 4 stars.My favouite dvds are Weight Loss and Firm Fit and Flexible. this dvd is very good and an excellent workout. Sticking to the dvd 2/3 times a week and you will defenetly see changes within a month.

And dont be frightened with the idea of Yoga. This dvd is defentley a good starting point to Yoga/pilates. You will feel like a different person. On all these dvd there is a beginner on the left side of the screen but it isnt long before you willbe doing the advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - If you already have the Yogalates Series!, 20 Oct 2008
C. Whatmough (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I'm giving this DVD five stars as I have with all the other Yogalates DVDs. HOWEVER, if you already have all the other DVDs do not buy this one. It is parts from the other DVDs put together so you will already have every workout on it. For example, workout 1 is the abs workout which is in the extras on the weight loss DVD. Also, the final workout is the last workout from the total body toner DVD. Some of the other workouts are from the Firm, Fit and Flexible DVD. There is no new footage at all on this DVD and I am very annoyed that there is no mention of this on the review as I have now wasted £10 buying it because I already have all the workouts on other DVDs.

However, if you do not have any other Yogalates DVDs then there is no problem with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential yogalates review, 17 Jan 2008
Laura Whittaker (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this yogalates DVD, getting fit and being supple my main goal rather than weight loss. I had done hatha yoga in the past.
To begin with I found some of the exercises very difficult, mainly due to the fact that i have become unfit. But with commitment (doing it every day, from start to finish)I can honestly say that I am really beginning to feel the benefits and the hard postures are becoming less painful!
I recommend this to anybody with stamina and determination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 9 Dec 2009
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
Having never done either yoga or pilates but wanted to try something different to tone up than my typical aggressive gym work out this has been very good. At an average weight and already doing exercise I haven't noticed any more weight loss but have definately noticed more muscular strength. Overall really good DVD, already recommended it to my friend who love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I have been using this DVD three times a week, as suggested, I do the first two workouts twice and just the abs workout after work mid-week. It is paying dividends after just three weeks; I have lost a couple of inches round the stubborn mid-section. In conjunction with 5:2 diet, I should be on target by December.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and effective, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I was dubious at first because the method is all about holding poses for lengthy periods of time...however they can be quite difficult. After the first session, I felt the effects the following morning. Not only is the workout effective, but it also relaxes. You are taught the basics and therefore this is more for a beginner to the workout, but even still very effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've nearly worn this DVD out!, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
I really like this DVD and use it regularly. I must point out that this is the only yogalates DVD I own (with the exception of 'Energizer' that I haven't played yet)and, therefore, have no basis of comparison.

The workout is divided into sections that target different areas of the body. There is a balance of less strenuous moves and more advanced postures. A total body workout is included as well as a warm up and cool down. I still find this quite challenging and ache every time I use it.

The criticism I have is the monotonous droning of Louise Soloman and her daughter (she features in the cool down section). Although, Louise is very knowledgable and explains the breathing in great detail, her voice is so irritating. It's not her accent that's problematic but the lack of intonation in her voice: it could never be described as calming or soothing. However, the fact that I continue to use the DVD suggests that you can live with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing but still works, 29 April 2010
Nikki King (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
These are very gentle exercises, and if you have a reasonable fitness level, you'll be able to do them all. The dvd is a bit too long altogether for it to be a regular workout, unless you have time on your hands, and you have to get over her slightly other worldly voice, but if you can do that, this gives you a good workout which will tone but also stretch you out. I also found she made a big performance about getting into downward dog in the yogalates part, with lots of variations, but in the yoga part at the end (the longest segment), she expects you to just do it automatically. I don't have any other yogalates dvds, but I read that someone said this is an amalgamation of her others, so perhaps she hasn't considered consistency in that respect. That said, I think its a gentle way of toning up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good workout, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Essential Yogalates [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great workout for anyone looking for a yoga/pilates routine they can do at home. You can select various parts of the workout to strengthen different parts of your body, or, what I usually do to save on time and get an all-over workout is do the Warm-up, then the Total Body Workout and then the Relaxation part. Yes, her voice is pretty annoying, but you get used to it and it definitely shouldn't put you off buying it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›