5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure
I found this to be a fine series. Parry (a former Royal Marine instructor), in whose company we visit some of the worlds remotest tribes (in such places as Brazil, the Himalayas, Ethiopia, West Papua, Gabon and Bhutan) is an engaging and sympathetic guide.

Parry visits fifteen tribes in all, spending a month living and interacting with each community. While...
Published on 31 Mar. 2011 by M Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars The third series was the best
There seem to be many Bruce Parry fans out there, and I'm sure they'll all hate this review. However, writing as someone that teaches archaeology and anthropology at a UK university, I have to take issue with some of the claims being made for this series. It is primarily about Bruce Parry himself, and his responses to the situations in which he finds himself, rather than...
Published on 7 Dec. 2007 by Mr. Simon W. Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
As a Bruce Parry fan I am a bit biased....but this is a very good DVD set. I watched most of these on T.V. and have enjoyed them all over again. My 2 grown up daughters are also hooked and my 10 yr old enjoys watching as well. There are a couple of episodes that my 5yr old could not handle....the tribe that whip (actually there are 2 episodes with whipping), but even he has enjoyed the rest. great DVD set that I am happy to own. BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruce goes tribal!, 5 Dec. 2012
M. K. Drijfhout "Martin Drijfhout" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Watching Bruce Parry's Tribe is a real treat.
Parry emerges himself into tribal life without reserves, and he does it in a way that is respectful towards the people he visits. By showing us what tribal life is like, he is also shedding light on the belief systems of these people, and on their relationship with the natural world they inhabit. And on the way they live as a community.
Watching the episodes, I felt that I was being shows aspects of humanity that we have lost in our western world but that are so basically human that I can relate to them easily. It evoked emotions too. At once I felt that these people, their world, their way of life, is under threat. 'Our' world is closing in on them. That it would be a great loss, should their worlds be gone some day.
In our society everything - every last thing - revolves around money. Then to see a community, functioning well, where money doesn't exist... It made me realise that however much money any of us may have in the bank, they may well be the richer people. Because in these tribal communities people matter most.
Anyway... Tribe is inspirational, educational, profound, funny... I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribe is great TV, 19 July 2010
Simon Laub (Aarhus, Denmark, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I was stuck from episode 1, where Bruce Parry and Mark Anstice, set off to West Papua to the unclimbed south face of Gunang Mandala.
From walking in dense jungles to experiencing village life, Parry gives a wonderful insight to what tribal life is all about.
Including the strange initiations, like when Parry visits the
Babongo in Gabon, Africa. Here Parry takes a hallucinogenic drug substance called iboga, gathered from the root of a tree. After a lot of vomiting and being very sick, the drug apparently influences brain centers for social relationships, and Parry experiences how all of his actions have influenced other people. Afterwards the tribe declares him 'initiated''. Amazing stuff and brilliant TV.
I have certainly never seen anything like it, and will certainly recommend it. Actually, this is both entertaining and informative TV!
You couldnt wish for more !

-Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best documentaries ever made, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
If your interested in adventure, culture and crazy mind altering drugs then this is right up your street. Bruce parry wipes the floor with bear grylls and ray mears because his expeditions are so authentic and interesting. literally my favourite box set of all time

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised with those two nitwits giving 1 star., 7 Aug. 2012
Will McCool (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Bruce Parry comes across as an egoless individual who wants to bring the plight of these tribes to the attention of a wider, western audience. He also seems to love his job, really gets stuck in, really immerses himself in the lives of his hosts. With Bruce's live, running commentaries, and the insightful footage, you really almost feel a part of some of the scenes and small adventures. When Bruce laughs, you laugh, when the tribe's are happy and joyful, you feel similar emotions, and when one of his visits come to an end, you share in the feelings of sadness as he leaves, and you get to see how easily these people accepted him, and how much he means to them in the end. Love this show. It is both fresh, and nostalgic, in equal measures.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC Bruce Parry's TRIBE 1-3 Box Set, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
It's a bargain for a six DVD set, and I really enjoyed them all. Since I live in Japan and I have never watched Bruce Parry's TRIBE on TV, I was really surprised with his approach. Not just to live there for a month, but to do initiation, to have a tattoo with a razor, to make a hole for a nose ring with a thorn etc., etc. It is very interesting to see and partly participate in the lives of the "marginalized" tribes and to understand their values and the threats. I envy them for having enough time for each other and I think they are probably happier than us. I am afraid this could be the last opportunity for us to record the lives of the tribes and I am looking forward to see more tribes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series!, 15 April 2009
Szakonyi Balázs (Hungary / EU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is just awsome! I downloaded the ripped videos from the internet and instantly I have fallen in love with the series, so I ordered the DVD pack from Amazon. 6 Dvds full of very entertaining films about people living in unknown parts of the world (at least unknown for us). But it wouldn't be half as good without Bruce, a very nice, open minded person, who is willing to try almost anything to gain experience and also to almost instantly pass it on to us sitting in front of the screen. One of the greatest series of BBC even considering Planet Earth, which is one of my other favorites. I also recommend Amazon, which is the newest series of Bruce, and also very enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential is an overrated term these days..., 14 Nov. 2007
S. Cobley (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
But this programme merits the accolade of 'essential viewing' if ever I saw one. I agree fully with the reviewer who states that this is one of the best series of factual programme of the past decade, if not the best. I simply cannot remember seeing anything as engrossing, informative and touching as this for a long time, if ever. This series really needed to be made, and is a must have for any armchair anthropologists out there.

Well done the BBC

And well done Bruce!

Fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is such a brilliant series, I can't believe the price first of all. Secondly, Bruce Parry is really a nice guy. So genuine, he understands the people and really brings the best out of them on screen. The basic jist of the series is that Bruce lives with a remote community around the world, experiences the cultures, tries rituals out and often hunts traditionally. If you enjoy travelling and culture it's for you, I enjoyed every minute. The people are always genuine and happy and you can really learn how the people live. Don't hesitate to buy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Tribe : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
One of the most interesting and spectacular series ever.
I highly recommend it to all people interested in culture, anthropology and adventure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›