5.0 out of 5 stars Something different!
I bought this as a gift for my 5 year old nephew. He absolutely adored it. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something slightly unusual and out of the ordinary.
Published 5 months ago by C. Mcnickle-edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars Two big caveats...
Although my daughter and I loved the butterfly garden by InsectLore, there are two inherently different things about the stick insect kit that I wish I'd known before ordering.

Published on 24 July 2012 by londonkate

1.0 out of 5 stars Two big caveats..., 24 July 2012
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)

Firstly, the timeframe is entirely different -- instead of the manageable 2-4 week duration of the butterfly rearing project, we're talking about months and MONTHS of sourcing privet, bramble and ivy, cleaning waste, etc. My daughter's interest has waned already.

More importantly, each female insect will lay hundreds of eggs. Since stick insects are non-native species, the kit warns that 'if you do not wish to raise a multitude of stick insects and have run out of friends who want one, we suggest putting the eggs in the freezer for a week to prevent them from hatching. They add in bold: 'Never release your stick insects into the wild. Although they have lived in Europe for over 200 years, they are still considered a non-native species and thus could be harmful to our ecosystem.'

Perhaps I should have learned more about stick insects before ordering this, I admit -- but I do see it as irresponsible on the manufacturer's part to sell a product to children which puts the onus on them and their parents to avoid releasing the hundreds/thousands of eggs from each kit into the British countryside.

3.0 out of 5 stars still waiting, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
still waiting for insects to hatch out so can't give accurate rating ! Young children find the waiting time frustrating and one wonders if they ever will hatch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different!, 24 April 2014
C. Mcnickle-edwards "mccrinkle" (Redditch, UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars postage, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
Think this is a great idea and have had the butterfly set would just like to add that amazon do not make it clear that you have to pay another £[] for the eggs so beware if you are buying for a gift. I opened mine and pre-ordered the eggs before I gave the gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky pals, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
My five year old grandaughter adores these 'sticky pals'. She is the envy of her sister, age 8 , and brother, age 10 .

5.0 out of 5 stars stick insect, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
2 have hatched so far ,amazing how tiny they are. quite fasinating probably more suited to slightly older than 5yr but still good

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift., 24 Feb 2009
S. Burrows (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
We bought this for our nine year old, and he loves it. We have had success raising the stick insects from the eggs you send away for and all the family are quite interested. Would recommend it as easy to care for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to watch your insects., 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
Just the house we needed for our stick insects. Easy to see what they are doing and easy to clean out. Also very portable which is great as we travel a lot so they always come with us.Great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars long wait, 5 Aug 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
We were very excited about this present and ordered it ahead of the summer holidays because we had read that you have to send off for the eggs separately. We received the eggs in early July with a note that said they would hatch between the 23rd july and 23rd September. A bit of a long wait for a 5 year old, so maybe a better choice for an older child. My son checks the habitat everyday for signs of life but it is not turning out to be the holiday project we were hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick Insect Kit, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Stick Insect Kit (Toy)
We bought this kit for our daughter (aged 7) and she loves it.
A voucher comes inside for the eggs that get sent through the post.
Waiting for the eggs to hatch was a good experience, as they hatched over several days.
Its amazing when they hatch just how big they are and how they fitted in the eggs!
Overall a fantastic learning experience and fun for all.
Would Recommend.