Format: DVD|Change

on 18 March 2011
Julie Walters at her best. This film could easily be overlooked as it was made for Channel 4. However despite its age, it is well worth seeing.
on 14 June 2014
I bought this because I remember watching it on Channel Four back when it was made. I think it does have a great message, and that the performances are interesting and the characters are memorable. I just think that maybe there are some inexplicable edits on this DVD? Bits that I thought I remembered don't seem to be there, and there are bits of the plot which don't make sense because of it...like the zipwire at the end (shh, spoilers). But it has a fantastic cast (sixties Doctor Who fans avert your eyes though!) and if you were a feminist in the eighties, it will make you sigh at how many backwards steps the modern world has taken in terms of female (and individual) emancipation. Might be lending this to some of my twenty-something colleagues!
on 6 July 2013
This is an excellent and amusing film and the quality of the DVD cannot be better. I would recommend this to any lover of British Humour.
on 29 September 2013
A heartwarming little film that never strikes a false tone. The romantic storyline is told with great aplomb - a few brushstrokes suffice, and the picture is complete. Julie Walters and all the other women deliver excellent performances, and Anthony Higgins is striking in an unhabitually unglamourous role.
on 3 June 2013
Walters stars as one of a group of eight women who attend an outdoor survival course in the hope of finding strength to conquer their individual inner fears. Whilst this is indeed no Educating Rita it is a thoroughly enjoyable watch for any Julie Walters fan. Some reviews here have been quite harsh I think- I certainly still love this film. Accusations of it being `somewhat dated' I think are quite snobbish as it's set in the 1980s and it's part of era that should be celebrated. Ok the script could have done with some of Victoria Wood's sparkle but what Julie Walters comedy wouldn't? I'd say give it a go Joe and enjoy it for what it is - a story about women's bitching and bonding in the wilderness and generational difference. Don't worry there are lots of laughs along the way.
on 27 March 2015
It's OK as a light view, but rather contrived - a party of women in the great outdoors struggles to complete an assignment, getting to know each other in the process. The 'disparate group revealing secrets in adversity' is rather hackneyed and I couldn't care about them all that much. I would have liked the estimable Janet Henfrey to have had more to do.
on 2 November 2014
Really good movie about ordinary women doing extraordinary things. This film is a witty yet thought-provoking take on those 'let's find ourselves' experiences that, for some reason, some of us need to explore. Ever been on one of those enforced and truly dreadful "team-building" events with your job? Watch this and rewind.
on 26 July 2008
Like so many other films without the big budget, this one doesn't need one. It stands up and speaks through human interaction, emotion and exceptionally good British acting (as usual.)
Humour and seriousness are two tricky ingredients to throw into the pot, but Ms. Walters and Co have certainly created something tasty, warm and inviting with this pleasant and extremely talented portrayal of a diverse mix of human beings in a temporarily unatural environement.
Inspiring, uplifting and bloody good English well made fun. Congratulations to all concerned!
on 30 December 2014
This was the first time I saw JULIE WALTERS' excellent acting skills.
Set in the 1980's it isn't a comedy but there are comedic moments. It follows a group of women on an exercise, self discovery venture that sees tears laughter and female bonding. Definitely a film for the girls.
on 7 April 2015
Dated but fun. The language reminded me of the late 70s, as did the communal changing room scene - weren't we all much more uninhibited then? (What happened?!) I was reminded of who I once was, and what a lovely reminder it was too.