5.0 out of 5 stars Screwball delight
For sheer delightful silliness, the 1972 classic What's Up Doc is hard to beat. The plot is silly, the gags are silly, the script is silly, the acting is silly and the whole crazy confection is a wonderful shameless celebration of silliness.

Published on 12 Oct. 2008 by Mr. Stuart Robert Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Reception
It's a lovely film which still amuses me enormously - but it was utterly ruined because the download streaming stopped twice and I couldn't get it to go forward - so I only saw half the film. I think Amazon should re-pay my 48 hour rent fee. I don't get this problem with Netflix. Answers please?
Published 1 day ago by Michael Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Screwball delight, 12 Oct. 2008
Mr. Stuart Robert Harris "Vivir Con Arte" (Norwalk CT 06850) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: What's Up Doc? [DVD] (DVD)

I'm not a big fan of Barbara Streisand or Ryan O'Neil but they're both perfect in this film. Young director Peter Bogdanovich sets a cracking pace and there's barely time to draw breath between the set pieces. The laughs are a great mix of one-liners, farce, physical comedy and manic chases. The pace is such that the 94 minutes running time just flash by.

Highly recommended for repeat viewing every couple of years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cartoon favourite brought to live action format, 3 Dec. 2003
As a big fan of Looney Tunes cartoons, I love this film in which Bugs Bunny wreaks his usual havoc, thinly disguised as Barbra Streisand.
Many classic elements of comedy can be found here, from snappy fast-paced comic dialogue to good old cartoon slapstick. Throw in a dose of mistaken identity involving no fewer than 6 plaid travel bags, just to get everyone thoroughly confused. Finally, top it all off with the funniest chase sequence ever seen in any film. I still have to wipe away tears of mirth, even after the umpteenth viewing, as the Chinese dragon careers down the hills of 'Frisco with all in hot pursuit.
You should buy this film if you want to give yourself - and any child above the age of 7 - a really good laugh. And one more thing about the chase sequence - watch out for the plate glass window! A masterpiece of comic film-making.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Fave!, 21 Jan. 2006
Wonderful comedy you can enjoy with your family! You will notice something new each time you watch this. Best car chase ever, ever!!! The "Sheet of Glass" sequence is sheer brilliance! I believe Peter Bogdanovich (Director), made this movie as a tribute to the slapslick movies of the 1930's, etc.
This is in my top three comedy films of all time, the other two being, "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstien", Both directed by Mel Brooks. Strangely, Madelene Kahn is in all three of these movies, Gene Wilder is in two, Kenneth Mars is in two, the old guy,(can't remember his name), is in all three! How weird is that!
I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes a a good comedy you can watch with the kids.
My rating: Absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 18 Jun. 2009
Daftbear (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Up Doc? [DVD] (DVD)
This was an old film when I was a teenager and I used to love it. Now I'm in my late 30s and I thought I'd have another look at it. I am well aware that there is a danger of returning to something that I once loved and that it just wouldn't be as good. I needn't have worried it was every bit as fresh and fun as it was when I was a kid.

It's a brilliant comedy with a fantastic chase scene that has been emulated time and time again in numerous other films, but this is the original and in my opinion still the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars What are you doing with Howard's rocks?, 15 Jan. 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dr. Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal) is on his way to a convention to try to win a grant; he carries a plaid over-night bag containing experimental rocks. A mysterious stranger at an airport picks up an identical plaid bag containing top secrets. A rich lady carries (you guessed it) a plaid over-night bag full of her jewels. To add to the mix is a walking accident Judy Maxwell (Barbra Streisand) carrying her own plaid bag.
Soon all are inevitability going to converge. Toss in mistaken identities and a bubble bath. You have one of the most memorable comedies.
Lots of fun comedy with most of the clichés, Back and forth in a hallway, Obligatory chase scene, they show their puns, and even a quasi food fight, all over a hand full of bags. At one point Judy hangs around out side Howard’s window; one wonders how her towel stays on.
If this ever gets sorted out we are in for a surprise.
If you find the concept of mixed bags funny then you need to also watch Sylvester Stallone in “Oscar” (1991).

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see film, no matter how old you are!, 30 Jun. 2005
I first viewed this classic screwball comedy at the age of 3 and i'm now at the age of 18, and this film has become one of my all time favourite films. The plot is fluent and the cast is fantastic. The actor who plays the camp russian Simon has gone on to star in malcolm in the middle ,and is ever so funny with lines such as'Don't shoot i'm part Italian!'. The best scenes include the blazing fire in Howards room, the fantastic car chase through the scenic San Fransico roads and the court room decision. A must see for any film fan, the proof is i have viewed this film on numerous occasions and still absolutely adore it.

5.0 out of 5 stars She�s a gem Bannister, an absolute gem, 23 Nov. 2004
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is such a great movie. Usually I can't watch a film more than once but I've seen this many times and it never loses its appeal, even though I now know the script off by heart.
I think what lifts it above the mostly inane comedies that come out of Hollywood is that although it's ludicrous in many ways, it's also strangely real and believable. It relies on a razor-sharp script and brilliant timing to get laughs rather than vulgarity or banal slapstick. Sure it's a visual comedy, and there are elements of slapstick, but the acting and directing make sure it never goes over the edge.
And what a cast: Khan as Eunice is unforgettable, Streisand is never better as the deliciously intelligent Judy, and Ryan O'Neal does a pretty good impression of Cary Grant (but don't believe those who tell you this is a remake of 'Bringing Up Baby' because it just ain't true).
My advice is to get this while you can, and treasure it. It's good enough to watch a hundred times.

4.0 out of 5 stars A silly GEM, 11 Mar. 2005
R. Cunningham "Elsie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Up Doc ? [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this film as a young girl in the seventies.
I've watched it a good few times since, and still spot comic touches I'd previously missed.
The smoking golf clubs gave me the latest chuckle.
Jolly times

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Comedy That's Done Soooo Well, 16 Nov. 2003
This review is from: What's Up Doc ? [VHS] (VHS Tape)
1st saw this movie when I was 12 years old with my mother & now being 20 years old I still love It
It's so well done this film, Ryan O'Neil Is classic as the nerdy guy & Babara Striesand who looks soo cute In this film Is classic as the bubbly open minded girl.....romance waiting to happen
But the last 1/2 hour of the film Is my favorite....the car chase In San Francsisco was funny from start to finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a time there was an ordinary plaid overnight bag.., 2 Sept. 2002
This review is from: What's Up Doc ? [VHS] (VHS Tape)
When absent-minded Musicologist Professor Howard Bannister (O'Neal) arrives in San Francisco to try and win a research grant, the last thing he expects is to have his world turned upside down by Miss Judy Maxwell (Streisand), a girl who causes chaos wherever she goes. In the space of two days he gets mixed up with a millionnaire, jewel thieves, kidnappers, a spy and a government agent; accidentally sets his hotel room on fire, finds himself sitting on a grocery deliverer's bicycle inside a Chinese Dragon and ends up dressed as a Cantonese Mandarin in a car chase through the city in a stolen VW Beetle. Perfect viewing for those who feel like laughing until their sides ache.

What's Up Doc? [DVD]
What's Up Doc? [DVD] by Barbra Streisand (DVD - 2005)