5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features and value for money
Published on 6 Mar 2010 by Richard Guest

1.0 out of 5 stars So-so quality, didn't last
When we first got it, it worked OK for podcasts (i.e. speech only), but not particularly well for music.
When the battery was in, then every time when I came back into the car, it wouldn't power on. So I took the battery out and just used it with the cigarette lighter.
However, a couple of months on, and it's now not working at all.
It might be cheap, but...
Published on 15 Mar 2008 by Calum MacLean

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features and value for money, 6 Mar 2010
Richard Guest "The Dick Dicky" (Rugby, Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LUPO 205 Channel FM Transmitter (For all iPhones, iPads, MP3/MP4 Players) (Electronics)
Since been legalised in the UK, there are lots of portable FM transmitters on the market. In relative terms, they are cheap to buy. They are flexible in use, all you have to do is insert the 3.5 mm plug attached to the unit into the corresponding socket of any audio source, MP3 player, computer, hi-fi etc. Then switch on and set the transmitter to a clear FM frequency, tune any FM radio to the same frequency and you have your own radio station!.

What I like about this particular product is the great range of frequencies you can choose, this is useful if you do alot of travelling. There is a facility to save the best frequencies. Compared with other units I have tried, the LUPO transmitter offers better sound quality without the distortion associated with some other models. It also has a good transmission range which means that I can take a portable radio anywhere around the house, garden or the garage and receive a decent stereo signal. Great when you are doing jobs around the place. The LUPO has a clear blue display which can also tell you the time or temperature. These are hardly essential but are a nice touch. Battery life is good, I tend to use rechargeable AAA batteries, but in the car it is better to use the cigarette lighter adapter which is included and save the batteries.
All in all, this is a good product and represents great value for money. I was wary of buying another FM transmitter because previous purchases have been disappointing in terms of signal quality or their poor build. This time I did a bit of research on what was on the market, read the reviews and decided on the LUPO. I was not disappointed and I don't think you will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item at great price, 31 May 2009
David (NOTTINGHAM, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The title says it all, I bought this for my daughters birthday & she loves it, it took only a minute or two to unpack, straight into car, found clear station at second attempt tuned FM transmitter to same station & there it was, loud, clear & constant, slight problem using the in car charger but that was the lighter socket in my daughters car (needs cleaning up inside) tried it in our new car & worked perfectly( tuned in just as easy) & with the presets she can save a few different stations in case of interference when traveling around, it chargers her ipod nano at same time, or it works with 2 aaa batteries(don't know how they will last)She even liked the the way it tells you the temperature & the little torch built in to it, you can also connect it to your laptop using the supplied USB cable. It is small with an easy to read screen simple to use, switch on, change stations( & is safer with the presets as you haven't got to start hunting for clear stations while driving) I looked at several different types & think this is the best in every way there were some more expensive ones but could not see any point in spending more when this does evrything you want it to do & some, at a very reasonable price, It arrived from Gizmo before the estimated date for despatch, Cannot think of one thing to complain about so go on Buy it you will not be sorry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value fm transmitter, 13 Aug 2009
dogfonos (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
What transmitter have you got?

Over the past year, I've used four, cheap fm transmitters. One performed poorly and three have been surprisingly good. Two were identical and the other two looked very similar but not quite identical. The three transmitters that performed well were LUPO branded (actually, the transmitter itself was not branded but the packaging sported a LUPO sticker) and supplied by GIZMO-DEALS. The poor performer was branded as VIRGIN (megastores), which I obtained elsewhere.

The product photo displayed by GIZMO-DEALS on Amazon today does not look like the LUPO transmitters they've supplied to me (it's branded VEHO, isn't it)?

The reason I mention all this is because it seems that performance varies widely between what looks to be the same piece of kit. How can you be sure you're getting a good performer? There is such variation in these customer product reviews that I wonder if people are receiving different products that happen to look the same (or near as damn it) yet perform quite differently.

All I can say is that the three fm transmitters supplied to me by GIZMO-DEALS work very well with only minor variations in performance between them. The older transmitters (purchased August and September 2009) are labelled as Model No. 668A and the newer one (purchased May 2010) has the Model No. 018A marked on it's casing. All three LUPO transmitters had the ref CY-668 printed on the packaging.

Review of LUPO FM Transmitters 018A and 668A (not used `in-car')

For devices costing less than 10, these FM transmitters represent great value.

Setting up is straightforward. The only time consuming bit is scrolling through your radio to find gaps on the FM (VHF) band in your area (in South London, there aren't many). When you've done that, operating the transmitter itself is simple. The backlit display makes selecting your chosen transmitting frequencies easy and intuitive. Model 018A, has a clearer, more vivid display. One other difference between the two models was that the older models (668A) came with a USB cable (as well as a car cigarette adaptor) that allowed me to use my USB computer socket to power the transmitter so I used this cable to power all three when testing the range. You'll need to purchase a USB cable for model 018A if you wish to power it from a computer USB socket or indeed from a mains/USB adaptor (which I also purchased from GIZMO-DEALS).

The range of the LUPO transmitters pleasantly surprised me. I powered the transmitters from my computer's USB socket and fed a `Spotify' playlist from the computer's front panel headphone socket. I then wandered around my house and garden with a portable mono fm radio. I picked up a strong signal throughout the house and up to the end of the garden (through two walls and 40 meters away - I'm anal enough to have measured it!). I couldn't have gone any further without trespassing. The sound was loud and clear although past about 30 metres, the receiving radio aerial's orientation became critical.

Next, I removed the USB power lead and substituted 1.2V rechargeable batteries instead. Sound quality appeared to be the same but range suffered. By careful aerial placement, I managed to get a good signal at 20 metres through two walls but no further.

I also checked how they sounded on a mini hi-fi system about 8 metres away through 2 walls. When using the USB cable to power the devices, my receiver `quartz locked' onto the transmitted signals at exactly the frequencies I'd preset and indicated stereo broadcasts. Sound quality was good. Using rechargeable batteries, the signals were too weak for the receiver to lock onto and for it to pick up the signals in stereo. The resulting mono sound hissed a bit too.

And now we come to the slight differences between the two models. Both transmitters 668A suffer from a slight (and it really is slight) underlying, rhythmic, burbling noise that's added to whatever you're transmitting, albeit at a low level. It sounds like a techno track playing very quietly in the background. I guess it's present at all times although it's only noticeable during very quite passages and silences between tracks etc. I transmitted for about an hour and it stayed constant throughout. I confirmed that it wasn't some stray remnant from a nearby radio station `bleeding' onto my signal. And the noise persisted whether I used batteries, USB cable or both to power the device. Really, it's the only failing this transmitter has but let's get this into perspective; it's at such a low level that it's easy to overlook - I didn't even notice it on the portable radio, only on the hi-fi during musical silences. I doubt it would be noticeable in-car. It's probably an electronic instability caused by circuit design weakness and will likely affect all 668A units. Keep the volume you feed into the transmitter as high as possible (but not so high that distortion sets in) and you won't notice this noise when playing music, even on hi-fi. Both model 668A transmitters behave identically. Transmitter 018A doesn't have as much inherent circuit noise and what it has sounds more like unobtrusive white noise. Also, model 018A seems to have a more sensitive input so doesn't need as much signal level for a healthy output.

There were slight sound quality differences between the two models. Model 018A had more treble than 668A but it was difficult to work out which sounded best - they were all surprisingly decent.

None of the transmitters picked up any obvious interference during my tests but then I didn't try them in-car, which would have been a stern challenge.

Note that if you don't fit batteries then the preset transmitting frequencies that you initially set will be lost when the USB power cable is unplugged or the PC turned off.

In the way I used them, I'd highly recommend the LUPO brand transmitters at 10 or less, especially considering ease of use, good sound quality and the excellent transmitting range on USB power. If you're after such a device, it really is a no-brainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars So-so quality, didn't last, 15 Mar 2008
Calum MacLean (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
However, a couple of months on, and it's now not working at all.
It might be cheap, but I'd have expected a slightly better quality and longevity from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars geejaykay, 16 Aug 2007
Don,t be fooled by the silly price, this amazing little bit of kit actually works. And it works well with any portable device with FM Tuning,
It only takes a couple of minutes to set it up with your car stereo, and your ipod plays perfectly well. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Jubbly, 22 Aug 2007
This product works great, have tried it in several cars old and new and it works great.
I've also tried it in house and even when i take the FM transmitter with me as a test trial for distance, its still very good.
Only a bit of static occured as i was getting out of range but the gadget works fine.
The price also being 1p and 6 for the delivery not bad when the cheapest i've seen is 9.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does more than it says on the Can!, 29 Aug 2007
Modelflygger (East Renfrewshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Super wee gadget! Powers from the USB connection provided when plugged into my PC and will stream audio all over my very long traditional stone cottage, including through a 2 foot thick stone wall! Reproduction is better than could be expected at ten times the price - sounds great on my Hi-Fi at the other end of the house from the PC. Far too good to use in the car - so at the price, buy two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 2 Feb 2008
Mr. R. Talukder (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Great device at a very reasonable price. I paid 6.99 including the (6) P&P. Very fast delivery - came the next day.

Personally I use the 87.5 MHz channel (the minimum) and don't encounter any problems with this. Great reception all over the house and in the car too.

Some other reviews have mentioned hearing unwanted background noise especially when they use the included car power supply. Using the power supply I can hear a faint but regular high pitched pulse or beat in the background. However I find this disappears when I use batteries instead of the power supply.

This device also incorporates a flash light, thermometer, and a clock. It took me a while to figure out how to use the flash light. This isn't documented anywhere in the instructions (on the back of the box) but you can turn the flash light on/off by pressing both the channel up and channel down buttons together. The thermometer just gives you the room temperature digitally on the display. The clock displays when not transmitting - otherwise it shows the transmission frequency.

In conclusion it does what it says on the tin. Includes a couple of extra features which work. All in all I'm delighted with this purchase. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lupo - Digital noise interference, 23 Jun 2009
This is the SECOND LUPO FM modulator I have had. The second was in theory a replacement for the first. Both suffer from an unacceptable level of digital noise (it sounds like something graunching away in the background). The level of this interference is unacceptable even when I feed it with a maximum level audio signal. I have tried two different sources including a new Sony walkman, and I have run it into three different FM tuners - all with the same result. This product is BAD BAD BAD.

1.0 out of 5 stars OK in certain conditions., 27 April 2009
C. Beesley "Big Clive" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
The feedback on this little product was very informing and I decided to give it a go, especialy at the price - what have you got to lose?

The product itself is very aesthetic, and looks like it should cost more than it did.

Basicaly it does do what it "says on the lid", it is very easy to tune into, and is powerful enough (at 2 meters) to overide the majority of outside interference.

One challenge with it is using it in a major city where there are very few free frequencies, your receiver will still receive, but you have to play with both the receiver volume and the Lupo volume to eradicate any interference, other than that it is OK.