5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough.
My CD collection is littered with albums that I buy on the strength of 1 track and never listen to again. And so one sunny day I purchased Amy McDonald's 'This is the Life' after hearing track 1 'Mr Rock & Roll' on the radio. Of course being the first track I assumed that I would listen to it over and over again thinking what utter tosh the rest was.... WRONG...
Published on 30 Oct 2007 by P. Wyeth

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start, but then....
I desperately wanted to love this album. I was all ready to give it five stars before I'd even listened to it. And then...

...and then I listened to it. The first few tracks are brilliant. Such a unique voice and style and obviously a gifted song writer. And then...they all started to sound the same. The problem is that she HAS such a unique voice, and...
Published 23 months ago by Mr. S. Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough., 30 Oct 2007
P. Wyeth "Phil Dubya" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)

By the time you have listen to the first three tracks, `Mr Rock & Roll, the brilliant title track 'This is the Life' and 'Poison Prince' you are hooked. This album is like a drug you just can't get enough of. Every tune is simply brilliant and the production seems to be near perfect, if not perfect. The album works on so many different levels - if you want a good tune and nothing else it delivers, if you want excellent lyrics - it delivers and if you are looking for exquisite vocal then Amy delivers again.

I don't actually anything about Amy McDonald other than she is a master at her craft.

If ever there was just one album to own then this may well be it. 5 stars seems not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - more please, 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Many of these songs have an excellent use of rhythm, beat and bass to create very catchy pop rock, yet retaining the simplicity of singer/songwriter style folk music. My roots are in 70s/80 rock music and yet I really love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best album I've bought in recent years, 2 Mar 2008
Simon Watkins (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
...and perhaps the most listened album in my collection. Over an over you'll read that there isn't a dud track on here. I'll echo that - I have my favourites and you'll have yours, but the standouts for me are Run, Mr Rock and Roll, This is the Life, L.A, Footballer's Wife. She should go far, and I eagerly await her second album. Almost with trepidation as it is hard to imagine a better album than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Futures bright for Scotlands newest star, 31 Jan 2008
H. Phillips "Prophet Tielo" (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Up until a week ago I hadn't even heard of Amy Macdonald my head had been buried for so long in the reggage genre that I had given up on finding any talent that would drag my attention back to any other scene and then someone mentioned Amy, I was almost a throw away comment one of those "Have you heard of this girl, you may like her,"

May like her has turned out to be one of the most underated statements I have ever heard.

I don't remember the lsat time I heard an artist that has determined I instantly rush off in search of her albums and dash out for tickets, I live down in Wales and failed for the Bristol concert and so had to go to Wolverhampton, would I have gone to Portsmouth for one night, for yes a resounding yes, in fact I was considering travelling to Europe if all the Uk tickets had been sold.

Such energy and insight from someone so seemingly down to earth and every song guaranteed to the hairs on the back of your neck standing up.

Other reviews have concentrated on the tracks and so I won't, all I will say is this stunning album shows the mark of a woman who is destined for international acclaim.

Lets hope she avoids the downfalls of other stars like Winehouse and Dougherty because the dimming of this star would be a huge loss for everyone.

Long may she contiune to shine

5.0 out of 5 stars Look forward to more..., 7 Feb 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Amy MacDonald is a Scottish singer/songwriter who is currently very successful - and with good reason. She has a gorgeous voice, which she doesn't strive to mask with a faux-American accent as many British acts have done. Her voice has a real depth and timbre to it that many older singers would struggle to match. However, her songwriting is where many people will focus. She has a very mature writing style, with lyrics that are perceptive and thoughtful. The arrangements of all of her songs are a joy to listen to. This is the kind of female artist we need more of - her catchy, eloquent songs could teach her unreasonably popular, mockney-accented peers a thing or several about how to create wonderful music that can be appreciated by audiences of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop at its best!!, 12 Sep 2007
D. Cooper "DavieC" (Barnet, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Every now and again I listen to a CD that blows me away and this CD has done just that. This is pop at its best. Great songs, great lyrics and a superb production on every track. And there's not a bad track on the album. Amy is a very talented songwriter and a great acoustic guitarist. OK, she hasn't got the greatest voice I've ever heard, but her vocals are suited to the songs. The best female singer/songwriter I've heard since Tina Dico, and that's a compliment believe me! A simply stunning CD that you should buy without hesitation. All that bothers me is how Amy is going to improve on this offering. I can't wait to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music From The Heart, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
I Bought James Blunt Lost Souls in December and thought that that was the best album I'd heard in a long time and then in only March it was surpassed by this. Oh how fortunate I was to buy this on a whim, Run is sensational with the lryics I will kiss until my lips no longer feel no no more and i will love until my heart it aches until it breaks until theres nothing left to live for ... amazing goose bump music so many good songs lets start a band is wonderful but my absolute favourite is the last song Footballer Wife.. Hard to explain why its just such a deep song that explains that Amy does not buy rich peoples woes that fills our newspapers when thete are those in the world who have so much more to worry about than they have and she thinks there must be more to this world than reading this rubbish about the famous. Please there must be more

thats what i read into this song its amazing song and shows that even though singers are rich and famous they can still sing and write with a heart

Anth Patchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Jan 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
This debut album from the scottish singer/songwriter hits all the right buttons. since i got the album i have listened to it exclusively on repeat. her lyrics are well thought out and meaningful, each with a clear message. the youth of today is a song which many young people can relate to, being about the conflicts between the younger and older generations. my personal favourites on this album are run and let's start a band. both of which are sung beautifully and with enormous character.
definately the best album that i have heard in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure quality, 2 Sep 2007
Ian Barker "IanB" (Milton Keynes, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
What else needs to be said? This is a rarity - a debut album with no duds on it whatsoever. "Poison Prince" is sublime perfection. "Barrowlands" with its jingly piano is pure theatre and forces you to sing along and clap like a looney. But, for me, "Let's start a band" is a spine-tingling song with a fantastic depth to it rounded off to perfection with the awesome crescendo ending.

If you're stuck wondering what to buy someone as a present this year - do them a big favour and buy this album.

More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - Every track is superb, 25 Jan 2008
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Attracted by the "folk" tag line I decided to take the plunge and buy this CD. I had also heard "This is the life" on the radio.

It is as close to its folk roots as Tony Blair was to socialism. The links are there, but you have to look for them, so don't be put off by the "folk" label.

Instead think of clear lyrics, that speak of issues close to Amy MacDonalds heart. Sung with flair and passion. This is not a Norah Jones dinner party CD, it is more edgy than that. It is however great to drive to, and if you need a comparison then KT Tunstall at her best is similar in sound and style.

Amy has a very mature voice, that matches the lyrics in this album flawlessly. Each track is great, and they grow on you, "Mr Rock and Roll" is the most played song on the album according to my ipod.

But Poison Prince is playing now on my computer and it's brilliant.

I am looking forward to Amy's next album, it will be interesting to see how she can better such an excellent album.

This Is the Life
This Is the Life by Amy Macdonald (Audio CD - 2007)