5.0 out of 5 stars Patience needed
Bought these at a reasonable price from a home electronics super-store having tried on the Sennheiser 120's (uncomfortable and kept falling off, shame because I had set my heart on them from the reviews) and the Panasonic WF820's (felt quite light and more flimsy).

Published on 8 Feb 2011 by Hamish

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
Got this as a Christmas gift, and altough I'm not very fond of Sony I got rather excited with this particular headset,I own some old Sony IR wireless headset wich after ages of use, this was gonna be the replacement: RF instead of IR, better sound, better built, etc.

Published on 26 Dec 2007 by JPG

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience needed, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-RF 840 RK black-silver, MDRRF840RK.CED (Accessory)

Having waited 16 hours to charge as suggested I was mightily disappointed to get really weak and tinny sound quality accompanied by an almighty hiss no matter what I did.. Took them back to the superstore to get my money back and they insisted on testing them. Imagine my surprise, not to say feeling like a complete idiot when they worked perfectly.

Back home they again hissed loudly. OK , working through the TV menu I found the headphone volume is set independently of the main speakers and the default level was set very low. With the headphone socket level set quite high (75%) the sound quality was very good. So much so that now I noticed the sound quality of some older TV programs has a slight background hiss undoubtedly from the older analogue recordings. Definitely not the fault of the headphones though. They may have turned up the treble for old farts like me to compensate for the high frequencies disappearing with age.

Can't complain about the built quality. They just take some setting up and matching to the sound source. They have proved to be very comfortable. Startling sound sometimes. Shivers down the spine and you looking behind to see who's coming to get you...

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 26 Dec 2007
JPG (Portugal) - See all my reviews

So it all looked good, there I was setting up the system, replacing the old and very much used old ones by this new and best set, it all looked fine, the problems came later, perhaps it's were I live but man there is hiss in the background, what a dissapointment the RF signal, I tested the 3 channels and in the 3 of them there was some random RF interference (like when we're tunning a radio station), this is really a problem to me and I gonna return these by another set (odds are it won't be another Sony).

One thing I found rather ridiculous and wich I think I must warn potencial buyers is that the manual actually said that placing the transmitter next to a tv might cause interference, that's exactly I want to do!! Connect it to the tv set so my wife can sleep when I'm waching tv in the bedroom. One other thing I didn't like (but could live with) is the batery consumption, according to the manual, they are only good for 18H, with my old IR receiver the bateries lasted much much more. (this I don't think it's a problem of this model, but of all of the RF headsets).

On the bright side, I must say the bass were very good.

In conclusion, if you want a headset to band your head listening to loud music this may be one for you, if you want to connect them to a tv and listen to movies/shows where people aren't shouting all the time, there are probably better options since the RF interference will bother you.
Like I said before I'm gonna return this, and try some different RF headset, if the interference continues, I think I'll buy another IR headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Headphones, 8 Jan 2009
I have also recieved this as a Chrismas gift and want to note that, The interference you get on these headphones is no different from the interference you get on speakers or soundsystem if you turn them all the way up. If you turn the output volume on whatever the base unit is plugged into (COmputer/TV) all the way up and then you can turn the volume on the headphones to under halfway, there will be no noise to speak of. Even if you put the base next to your TV/Computer. Only thing I have to say is that ofcourse the 100m range is only if you are standing in an open field which is RARELY the case, but at least I have range anywhere in or around my house.

Alround excellent present and I use them all the time. NO MORE WIRES!