on 3 March 2008
I am still on XP and this is perfect for my needs which are printing 6x4 holiday snaps, scanning documents to store on my PC, printing of correspondence etc.and photocopying. I am an IT dummy but I found it easy to install and use. If you have basic needs from a printer/scanner this is good value for money.
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2008
My old all-in-one recently became unreliable so it was time for a new one. As a few of my products are already HP I thought this would be a good match. :)

I like the design of the unit... it's certainly smaller than my old all-in-one so progress is being made in that area. It also comes with much more functionality. The little in-built screen is great, plus it has memory-card slots for most types right there.

Installation was smooth on my Vista desktop (also HP). The only thing I was unhappy about was the fact that a USB cable for this printer was not supplied!!! Luckily I dug out the cable for my old all-in-one and it fitted so it saved me a trip to the shops, but I do think that it should either be made extremely clear that one isn't included (and then we could order one at the same time) or HP should get real and include one.

The print quality is very good but for everyday printing I like to use the "economical printing" option which makes the printer explode in a fit of quick printing and saves me a bit of ink. It's still extremely readable too... I don't think most people would be able to notice it was a lesser quality.

The self-alignment is a good idea too. It prints a page which it then asks you to place in the scanner so it can test itself. This is much better than me having to read an alignment sheet and select what I think is the best option.
on 13 February 2008
I bought this printer when I was using windows XP. Shortly after this my PC died on me. On purchasing another one I was a little worried about this as all the new ones come with Vista but to my surprise it worked. All I did was load the disc in the normal way. No problems.

The machine itself makes quality copies, clear scans and the XL catridges that last loads longer are fantastic value for money. The printing is fast and the colour is accurate. All round great value.
on 1 January 2008
The HP Photosmart C4280 is an excellent all-in-one printer. It is fitted with 2 LCD screens, you can choose from a range of qualities & paper sizes. It is very inexpensive, and the ink cartridges are also very cheap. There are handy built-in slots for almost all types of memory cards. It also prints very quickly and the paper very rarely ever jams. I a very happy with it and had no problems whatsoever installing the printer. Just insert the CD and its practically done.
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 November 2008
This is a superb little printer at a superb little price. I've had it for a while now, and haven't yet discovered any annoyances at all.

I *would* have given it 5 stars, but I'm afraid I knocked one off because of the manufacturer's mind-bogglingly cheapskate decision not to include the necessary printer cable. If the cable was an expensive item, it might be understandable, but since you can buy one for only £2-£4, it's just... well, it's just plain cheapskate.

Of course, if you're replacing an older printer, you'll already have the cable, but that's not really the point.

Having got that off my chest, I've nothing else against this machine whatsoever.

I use Linux, not Windows, and I half-expected this to be a problem. In fact, it wasn't. I plugged it into my Arch Linux machine, and everything worked immediately. It even prints from my Ubuntu Linux laptop across my wireless network.

Print quality is great, and it prints *considerably* faster than my previous printer, an Epson.

It uses two cartridges, one for black and one for colour. This is also much better than the Epson, which required *4* cartridges, and refused to print at all if even one of them fell below the required level (the 'required level' was always a mystery to me, because the printer regularly declared that a cartridge was empty even when it was plainly about 30-40% full.)

Anyway, to sum up, I think this is a great printer and at a great price.
on 7 September 2008
I bought this printer from PC World (they price-matched Amazon's price) a few months ago. It works perfectly on my computer (running Kubuntu 8.04 Linux) and I have no complaints, apart from the USB cable not being included.

The print, copy and scan functions all work to a very high quality, and this is a relatively quick printer. The card reader on the front and the screen make printing photos a breeze without having to turn a PC on. The copy function also works without the PC, which is handy.

Highly recommended, especially for those of us using Linux. HP's Linux support is superb.
on 30 December 2008
Bought this printer in December and have had no issues using it with my laptop running Vista.

Previous reviews complaining about freezing or asking to re-install may be due to the older drivers and software provided. The latest version (v11) I've had no issues with to date.

And to balance out all the negative comments about no USB cable included. It was clear to me the cable was not included with the printer. Having previously owned a USB connected printer I had a cable anyway, so I'm happier paying a few pounds less for a printer rather than ending up with another cable I'll never need.
on 15 October 2008
Within 15 mins of getting this home I was set up and printing! really easy for the anyone to install. I haven't connected it to a PC yet I am just printing from my camera and photocopying - fantastic. The quality is really good.
For me Mrs average who likes her photos now it is BRILLIANT!
excellent value for money.
Highly reccomended product and the service was fast!
on 29 September 2008
pros:
-good quality
-works great
-second hp printer and still satisfied (the first one is back at home, in germany)

cons:
-the cartriges that were in the printer don't last for more than 2 weeks at the rate i'm going. i get a few months out of the normal ones.
-no cable to computer (i knew about that, it's still awfull they don't include that though)
-you can't adjust the software so that the lowest print quality and lowest amount of ink is used every time
on 3 November 2008
when i first got the new printer i could not install the drivers on my xp machine.spend many nights looking at web sites trying to find out why it would not install.finally i asked a friend at work,He gave me a disc which had the basic drivers for xp.told me to turn off all firewalls and antivirus software,and it worked
No problems now