4.0 out of 5 stars OK, looks nice but overpriced and not without crashes
Published on 4 Dec 2007 by jrhartley

3.0 out of 5 stars unconvinced
Published on 2 Nov 2007 by Win to Mac

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, looks nice but overpriced and not without crashes, 4 Dec 2007
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro 17" 1920 x 1200 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo /2GB /160GB 7200rpm /SD /AP /BT (Electronics)
I'd second win2mac's review - I moved from a Dell Inspiron 9400 to a MBP (with 4gb of RAM) as I was so shocked and disappointed by how rubbish Vista was. From the Apple's marketing I was expecting the machine to fly, and to never crash. I had reservations about build quality, having ordered an Apple before (cube) and it not work out the box, but so bad is vista that I was prepared to take the risk.

I'm not disappointed, just a bit underwhelmed. Yes, you can use OSX and windows using Parallels, so effectively you can have the best of both worlds from an OS perspective, but I'm not sure that really justifies the high price. I bought mine in the US, so £1400 for a 4GB MBP - I definitely wouldn't pay any more. I'd agree about the SD card slot - its not an issue of 'simply connecting your camera' as not everyone is only using SD cards in a camera - there is other data and you don't want to have to take a camera or SD card reader with you all the time.

A few more USB ports would have been nice - I've found I've had to go and replace my existing mybook external drives with mybook pros (which have firewire connections) as the MBP has only 3 x USB ports, so once you've got a mouse in one, a printer / scanner in another and maybe a card reader / camera occasionally connected to the third, there's no space to connect any USB HDDs.

Apple Magsafe AC chargers at £60+ for a spare is just a joke, particularly given the build quality and problems they have had. Apple needs to get out of its "let's rip the consumer off on the hardware wherever we can" mentality - it leaves a bad taste.

Other issues - software wise - most stuff you can find alternatives for - however, I still think a killer replacement for MS Money and also OneNote is something that is sorely lacking on the mac, and I have to go back through Parallels to do my book-keeping in MS Money. Hopefully the new version of Office for Mac (due early 2008) will address the OneNote issue. In the meantime, I'm using the bundled OmniOutliner (a weak substitute, but its free and no worse than any of the numerous other alternatives I checked out / shareware and freeware).

The machine also gets really hot - obviously the aluminium casing acts as a heat sink, but sometimes its almost too hot to touch. Quite nice in my cold flat in winter, not sure how well it will cope come next summer.

And, despite people claiming that macs never crash - nonsense. Mine has a few times since I've had it - on balance, I'd say it is marginally more stable than a windows based machine, but when it does crash, you've got little idea why and its more catastrophic (sibling errors, anyone) and requires a reinstall. Thankfully, a plus point of mac is that it is easier to make a clone of your whole HDD than windows seems to be, so you can do this relatively painlessly.

OSX does seem a lot less fussy than vista though, a far cleaner interface, and that's the main thing, and my main reason for switching from PC to mac. I'm sure a lot of people who are disenfranchised by vista will make the same decision, despite the shortcomings of the mac. Ultimately, what I think this is: Apple have over-marketed the brilliance of macs, so people have unrealistically high expectations. Just remember - its only a computer, and it will go wrong from time to time, even as a mac!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 17" laptop on the market, 28 May 2009
A. Crowley - See all my reviews
I have to tell you that I was very very skeptical of Apple and Mac prior to this. I was an avid Windows fan and always used a Windows PC or Laptop. The time came for me to upgrade my laptop and so I went on an intense research into all makes of laptops from 15.4 to 19 and above in screen size as well as power. I am a very hard man to please when it comes to technology as I believe we should all get what we pay for and more. Especially because a top-spec machine such as this does not come cheap.

So I needed a laptop of at least 17" Widescreen, with fast multimedia and editing facilities (I work in film) etc etc. I wanted it to play both Windows and Mac games at a good frame rate (Doom3, Prey, Flight Sim X). It needed to have all the gizmos. I also needed it to be easy to carry around but I wasn't expecting it to be lightweight considering what I needed it to do. To top it all it needed to be Thin in design. I just was fed up of the standard Windows laptops that just looked huge all round.

Don't get me wring - there are some excellent Windows based laptops around now and some almost got the Mac at the post but in the end the MacBook Pro 17" won hands down. It was the best choice. You do have to give it a chance and you do have to take time to get used to OS-X especially if you are migrating over from Windows based systems. But it will be the best laptop and operating system you will ever own.

It is also hugely reliable (fingers crossed!). Reading some reviews I understand the opinions but really if you want a classy, stylish, powerful, functional, 17" Widescreen that also can operate Windows (via Boot Camp facility) then this is your machine.

There is limited software yes, but the software that is available, although a little pricey, is very high quality. Apple cannot be beaten, in my opinion, when it comes to film editing software/hardware and music creativity. The laptop is also heavy but not as heavy as a similar Windows system.

I do not own the new 'black/silver' version and I might upgrade to that in a few years time.

I am not wealthy at all and I had to buy it on a monthly payment plan but it is Definitely worth the investment at the end of the day and very smooth to run unlike Windows XP and Vista which are clunky systems I feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good, 25 Nov 2007
A. Davies "AD." (UK) - See all my reviews
Cliche - I never usually write reviews but:

... I have got a lot from Amazon reviewers in the past so this is my turn! I didn't actually purchase from Amazon - I went direct through Apple with a cosy educational discount! I opted for the 17" high resolution screen with a 200gb 7200rpm drive and 2gb memory. I have finally (after 4 days) transferred my old PC data across which I did via a crossover cable easily. The MacBook Pro is amazing - it is absolutely rapid at any given task, and Leopard is a joy to work with. Already I look at my old Windows XP interface with slight pity! The 17" high resolution screen is class - but be warned you need to set the font size preferences with certain applications to medium (or just zoom in) - my eyes can't quite cope at times! .. But the screen is really, really good. I got the Asaka 17"note book cooler (available on amazon) and it is also very good - extremely quiet and keeps the MacBook Pro nice and cool. I also purchasd the wireless mighty mouse which takes getting used to - but is also excellent (contrary to some reviews). I did have one or two 'waking up from sleep' issues (search google, there have been problems) but this was resolved easily with the help of an Apple Care telephone rep who helped me reset my battery (take battery out, hold power for 5 seconds) - all fine now.

Bottom line: The 17" MacBook Pro is expensive but very, very good. A great standalone home/business machine or simply just a portable.. If you're unsure about switching from PC to Mac and have the funds to do it, I would suggest just do it...

3.0 out of 5 stars unconvinced, 2 Nov 2007
Bought a MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz /2GB/160GB spec from the US two weeks ago as a replacement for a Toshiba XP machine which was stolen. Having done a bit of research I was led to believe that the new Mac is miles ahead of Win based PC's in terms of speed, robustness of system, ease to operate etc. Well, based on my experience the end result is not as perfect as Apple would like us to believe:

The positives:
- sleek and attractive design
- integrated camera which works well with internet chat applications
- easier to work multimedia apps (making movies, dvd's and plugguing in diff model cameras)
- plug and play seems to work with the majority of devices I've tried (digital cameras, external hard drives, USB readers)
- Ability to split the HD and run Windows (haven't tried it yet)

The negatives
- No built-in SD card (or any flash card) slot. Almost any above average pc laptop has one these days. Obviously a surmountable issue with a usb card reader but for a company priding itself on well thought-out design and functionality one would have expected to see it integrated in
- The computer is slower than my xp machine in opening pretty much any application. Quite puzzling giving the high clock speed and sufficient RAM
- I've had occasional crashes or rather "non-responses" from several applications (firefox, iDVD, Adobe). Was quite unhappy as was expecting lower crash rate than Win
- I've realized the range of software for Macs is still limited and a lot of multimedia sites (ITV, BBC, etc) don't support it.
- The price differential to a windows based machine is too high (almost double!)
- While plug and play works for most devices, connecting to a non-mac wireless modem was incredibly frustrating. Does Apple expect everyone to have an AirPort? It took me several hours to get my Orange Livebox to connect to the Mac and now I can't get any other computer to work with it (long story but appears that macs don't read WEP keys easily (an older but widely used encryption technology). It's frustrating to have to trawl the internet for tips which should really be on the Apple website

So overall, is it worth it to spend double the money on a Mac laptop vs a comparable PC one? My personal opinion is "no."