Format: DVD|Change

on 17 March 2008
Imagine Romeo and Juliet with out all the tragedy and here you have Romuald Et Juliette a film about love crossing the classes - he is a slender, elegant, upper middle class business man, pampered from his elegantly coiffured head to his italian leather clad toes, he doesn't know the meaning of self sacrifice and she is Afro-french mother of many with not enough hours in the day to think about her self, she is a "make do and mend "sort of woman - their lives seem destined never to cross until the day she uncovers a scheme to frame him for the collapse of the company he chairs. Together they unravel the plot and in the process fall in love, he learns how to care of others and she learns how to be cared for.

I hunted high and low for this film for years, harassing anyone who set foot in France to see if they could buy it for me and finally it has been released.

If you enjoyed Amelie and are looking to dip your toe further into the pool of French cinema I highly recommend this movie.
on 14 July 2008
Like the other reviewers I saw this film years ago, late one night, on my own. It just stayed with me and for years I looked for it and told my friends about it. I was so pleased to find it and share it with my husband who despite not liking romantic type films thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, the plot is far fetched but I forgive that for the brilliance of Daniel Auteuil and Firmine Richard.What a wonderful but unlikely pairing, which works. The warmth of the film is wonderful. Watch it and enjoy!
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2009
I was given this as a gift from a good friend for christmas. It's one of her favourites and she thought I might like it, and guess what I loved it. It's a gentle comedy/love story which also allows us to see the world from 2 different viewpoints. Firmine Richard and Daniel Auteuil are both superb and the supporting cast are excellent and who can't fall in love with her wonderful family. It reminded me of the early Capra comedies which Hollywood no longer seems to be able to produce. Look out for Firmine Richard in the great 8 women and Daniel Auteuil in lots of things but especially La Reine Margot an absolutely fantastic film.
on 17 January 2010
I am so delighted oher reviewers feel the same way as I do about Romuald and Juliette.I first saw it in 1990 on a late night television slot and spent ages trying to find the video in the UK, which I finally sourced at a shop in the National Theatre arts complex. I have watched it about twice a year when I want to be cheered up. I too ahve givfen away copies. I now have the DVD. Of course it is a fantasy where class, race (and weight) barriers are crossed and it would not happen in real life, not all three anyway! Movies take you into another world and this fairy story does just that. If only life were like this. It is pacey, funny and brilliant and the actors do the story justice, and Firmine Richard is just lovely and gorgeous. Hollywood would not know how to handle such a story. This movie will take the blues away.
on 4 September 2007
Have been looking for this on DVD for what feels like forever. One of my all time favourite films. Quirky, funny and just brilliant.
on 16 May 2016
Daniel Auteil is Romuald, a wealthy businessman who runs a company producing yoghurt. he is set up by some other company employees to appear he is guilty of insider trading and poisoning the yoghurt in an elaborate scam to make money. The only person who can help him is Juliette, the office cleaning lady. he ends up staying at juliette's crowded apartment (she has five children, all by different fathers), while he struggles to regain control of his life. And his wife is also having an affair with another man, to add to his troubles.
Although this film is quite amusing, there are a few things about it i find troubling, most of all the way the children's fathers are treated. they apparently see their children only once a year, on 'husbands day' and none of the appear to contribute to the support of their children. nobody seems to mind this, not the children, nor the fathers. the message seems to be that fathers don't matter. Romuald's lack of gratitude towards Juliette for her help is also rather strange. Also, the way he rather suddenly and abruptly falls for juliette near the end of fhe film, not having shown any sign of doing so before, is rather odd. the love story is not very convincing. one way and another, this is an unsatisfactory film.
on 22 December 2007
It's a gentle feelgood film, perfect if you are looking for a bit of stylish light entertainment.
Totally unbelievable, but that's the beauty of cinema!
Usually i don't enjoy this level of sentimentality in a film but it worked for me, i was just thinking what a mess Hollywood would have made of the same script.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2009
This a bizarre but very charming film. Its social observation is quite cliched, but rather sharp. The plotline is over the top, but plausible. It's a warm and heartening film, that is a bit silly, but you forgive it. It manages to be romantic, and almost political. All I can really say is, it's very French!
on 4 August 2015
I love this film - it is so funny and such an unlikely coupling. Juliette is a larger than life mother of many who cleans for the company in which Romauld works. One evening she overhears something detrimental to Romauld and starts to help him out. As I hate spoilers, I'm not going to go into detail, so in a nutshell, this is a romantic comedy that will make you laugh out loud and then go 'awwww' Well worth a watch if you like classic French cinema.
on 21 March 2014
I saw this many years ago at the cinema and a few years later on TV, I thought it was charming at the time. Having a chat with my better half about romantic films I mentioned this one and outlined the plot; the upshot was I bought it on Amazon but with a nagging doubt my memory of the film was a tad rose-tinted.
I'm happy to report that watching it again has re-established it in my list of favourite films and I think it has become a favourite of my better half too.
Daniel Auteuil and Firmine Richard are brilliantly cast as the aloof, focused boss and the hardworking cleaner he barely notices until the wheels start coming off...