4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool
I have found this saw fantastic. And it comes with 2 blades one for wood, and one for metal and wood. So not sure why Mr Chesters did not have a metal/wood blade, I have sawn through big screws and bolts no problem.

Published on 16 July 2008 by G. Sherwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Bosch PFZ 500 Saw
Disappointing, had older model which was far superior.
Lot of vibration, short cable, not easy to place guiding hand as very stubby shape. Sliding release for blade difficult to open.
Published on 9 July 2009 by H. Fattah

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 16 July 2008
G. Sherwood (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)

I am currently digging out an old tree stump and this tool is cutting slices off it like cheese. I thought it might overheat but after 20 minutes continued use on the stump it was just warm.

I have had no problems sourcing other blades for it so would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars bosch saw, 3 Jun. 2010
Dr. R. N. Dickson (bucks uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
great saw , simple and easy to use. cuts small logs and timber planks with ease. wood/metal saw also cuts through nails easily. saves lots of time and sore biceps. needs a lot of care, easily lose a digit or two if not fully concentrating. kickback on cutting larger items so be careful.
only a couple of months old so can't comment on reliability/longevity etc

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent general DIY saw, 10 April 2011
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
I bought this saw as a general purpose tool, mainly to help ease the work of sawing up logs and branches for firewood. It's been excellent at this, reducing a large pile of long timber to neat short lengths far more quickly than I could have done by hand.

The build quality is good (standard Bosch quality - with a nice robust feeling moulded body).
I found the blade change mechanism easy to use and quick (simply push a slider -it does need a firm push, but I'm glad it does as you want the blade secure.

I have not yet needed to replace the blades - treated well they seem to have good durability (there were 2 included, one for wood the other for metal) so can't comment on the replacement cost - I'm sure I will search on the web to see what deals there are to be had as and when I need to.

In use the unit does vibrate so you may want to take breaks after several minutes of continuous use - but it's not at an unacceptable level. I also liked that the saw is reasonably light (lighter than a more standard reciprocating saw) so more manageable in quick day to day use.

Overall a good purchase that I have also used for general Internal DIY, and would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Kit, 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
This is the second of these saws I have bought in the past three years. Not a good recommendation you might think! But I use it almost on a daily basis. What I will say is that I find replacement Bosch blades far to expensive, so look around there are other makes out there far cheeper and just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for pruning trees, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to do some serious pruning on a load of 30 foot leylandii trees. The Amazon price is the best I could find by miles.

For tree cutting you need to buy some extra M1131 blades (about 11 quid for two on Amazon) as the wood blade supplied isn't really coarse enough for green wood. With the right blades, this saw is a dream. It goes through branches up to about 10cm easily, and will go up to about 15cm with a bit of patience and a bit of rocking forward/back over the cut. It therefore has about the same maximum cutting capacity as you can achieve with a bow saw, but is (a) a lot easier on the arm/wrist, and (b) you can get into smaller gaps where a bow saw simply won't fit. You may need a long extension lead though - the supplied cable is only about 2m.

I did consider buying a proper full size reciprocating saw instead (eg there's a Black & Decker 1050W one you can get for about 70 quid) which would do even thicker branches, but I went into B&Q to look at it and it is massively heavy and there's no way you could use it up a ladder in a tree with two hands, let alone with one. This Bosch saw is not light, but it is possible to use it one handed, with care. I also looked at chain saws, but again they are way to heavy to use up a ladder, and can't be used one handed (and they scare the living daylights out of me). There is only one other similar saw I found, from Black & Decker (Scorpion Saw), but the reviews are poor for this type of task and it is underpowered, so I reckon this Bosch saw is the best tool for the job. I'm never going back to a bow saw again.

This saw claims to be low vibration, and for small branches that is probably fair. For larger branches though, there is some vibration, and you can get some serious kick-back if the blade jams in the wood, so you need to take a bit of care to cut in such a way that the cut opens up under the weight of the branch rather than trapping the blade.

I've only done the one tree so far, but I have a massive pile of logs and branches and the blade still seems sharp. I would definitely recommend this saw for pruning large tree branches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit blade, 12 Jan. 2011
Yay!! (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
This is easy enough for someone who's never used a saw before, and has no DIY skills.
Just using it to cut up logs - wanted something that would cut small logs, and waste timber.

The blades are easy to fit - basically "wiggle it" in and then lock, no allen keys, just the wiggle which is so easy.

Unlock it to take the blade out.

Good solid build, comes with 2 blades, one for wood, and one for wood & metal.

Excellent German engineering at work here. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bocsh pfz 500, 16 Nov. 2009
lisa Meade "Lisa Saltash" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
Brought this item for a friend to saw logs for her log burner. It was easy to use, not to heavy and did the job very quickly. An idea tool for the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bosch PFZ 500 Saw, 9 July 2009
H. Fattah (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
Disappointing, had older model which was far superior.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats expensive blades, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
Bought this because of less than flattering views on the B&D. At first it cut up pallet-wood like the proverbial knife in butter. After about 30 mins on a pallet and about 6 small (circa 2-3" ash)logs it was blunt. At £14 a throw for a replacement blade this is expensive cutting.Also kick-back is a major problem unless you ease off the throttle on the last quarter inch or so. My experience with the pfz500e makes me feel positively positive about my Bosch chain saw-which I'm not that fond of because the thing gives me the willies in spite of all the talk about chain-tensioning etc. Come back my old Alligator-died a year ago.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only suitable for small items, 25 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw (DIY & Tools)
Having read the other reviews, I was expecting a more robust saw that would be able to get through small logs. However, in reality it doesn't do this well as the blade is too small, and it isn't powerful enough. It cuts very nicely through small branches, but I can cut those well enough with a hand saw. It would good for small household tasks. My recommendation is to think carefully about the reason for purchasing before ordering.

Bosch PFZ 500 E Multi-Saw