4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality drill driver - recommended
A cordless drill driver is pretty much essential if you're serious about diy. Once you've used one of these, you won't want to go back to corded drills or manual screwdrivers.

Published on 18 Jun 2009 by Ian King

3.0 out of 5 stars Great drill, shame about the charger
Love the drill - works really well and the light I originally thought was gimmicky is actually really helpful.
However... the charger is not up to scratch.
To quote "The charging procedure is not ended automatically... a temperature increase of the battery indicates that the battery is fully charged".
You need to take the battery out of the charger after...
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by J. Clayton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great drill, shame about the charger, 2 Dec 2010
J. Clayton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PSR 14.4 Cordless 14.4 Volt Drill/Driver, 1 x NiCD Battery (DIY & Tools)
However... the charger is not up to scratch.
You need to take the battery out of the charger after about 3 hours or risk it getting damaged.
On one occasion I forgot and left the battery in there over the weekend.
Result = 1 very hot, very dead battery, which cost £25 to replace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality drill driver - recommended, 18 Jun 2009

This model uses 14.4 volt rechargable batteries which is an ideal compromise between power and weight. The next model up is the 18 volt which is slightly more powerful, but it's heavier to lift. My advice is to stick with 14.4v for diy use.

The drill comes with 2 batteries and a mains charger, so you can be using one battery in the tool while the other is charging up - the charge time is about 3 hours. There's also a fairly sturdy carrying case to carry it all around.

In use the drill is powerful enough for most purposes - it offers good torque for screwing. For very tight screws you may need to do the last half-turn by hand, but that's the same with any similar drill driver.

It's also got a light in the base which shines up to illuminate the workpiece whenever you press the trigger. I thought this was a bit of a gimmick, but it proved really quite useful when working inside some dark kitchen cupboards - a nice touch.

My only criticism, as mentioned by another reviewer, is the that the chuck could be a tad better - I found the bit slipping occasionally. The Makita chucks seems to be a bit better in the same price range, so I deducted one star for this.

Overall, this is a really nice tool - in practice it feels great to use and isn't too heavy, so anyone would feel comfortable using it. A great addition to anyone's tool kit.

Edit: Although mine came with 2 batteries, the current model seems to come with only one. Bear that in mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great driver, very poor battery charger, 21 Aug 2012
I don't normally write reviews but I'm so disappointed that I've wasted about £80 that I wanted to share this information.

I bought one of these and loved it and needed a spare battery. It was cheaper to buy another one of these (£34.99 a few months ago) than buying a spare battery (which was about £45 I think) so I bought another one! It works brilliantly. So why 3 stars I hear you ask. Well I left both batteries on charge for probably around 12 hours (I forgot they were still on charge) and now neither of them will hold ANY power whatsoever. The manual says to charge them until they're warm - that's how you know when they're ready, and it should be around 3 hours. The charger doesn't however stop charging or even have any indicator to let you know when you should stop charging. So unless you time it perfectly and check the battery after about 2 and a half hours to see if it's warm (!) it's very likely that your batteries will either die fairly quickly (if you don't judge it perfectly) or die instantly (if you do like me and forget to switch the charger off on one occasion for an extended period).

So I guess I'm going to have to throw both of these drivers in the bin and look for a cordless drill/driver that has smart charge (I'm currently considering a Dewalt one).

Hope this is helpful and saves you some pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch Cordless dril, 20 Feb 2011
Wonderful value for the money and the battery remains charged for well over a week which is a great help not having to charge it every time you use it like my last cordless drill. I do think however, that in the sales description that it should be explained that it is only the drill package and does not include any accessories.I am pleased I purchased the accessories at the same time.
The delivery time for the order was also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 6 Jan 2010
I've bought loads of house items that I've had to put together, wardrobes, drawers, desks, bed, CD cabinet and Ohh do I wish I had bought this before, ahh well, I've just put together a bedside table and bookcase, What Joy!!! it made the work so easy!! and I love the fact it has a light that aligns exactly to the drilling point. Wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still needs a better chuck, 22 May 2009
B. S. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
The drill is excellent value for money but still suffers from the inability to hold drill bits properly at times due to the twist lock chuck.There is still too much effort and wear on your hands to lock the chuck.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT TOOL, 31 Dec 2010
Excellent tool.Is my first cordless tool and i am very excited for my choice.My only mistake is that i bought this one and not the other that includes the second battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 1 Feb 2009
J. A. Hextall (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent drill, bags of power. Not to big or heavy for use at arms length or in tight spaces.
Plus good price compaired with the high street

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave this one star because I couldn't give it less, 17 Sep 2013
Utterly useless I am a tradesman and have used loads of cordless equipment the light on this is yellow so extremely dim and the battery supplied has no longevity .at fully charged it is functional but thats short lived .in this case I was let down by bosch

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery life is hopeless, 26 Sep 2011
Steven (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Before purchasing this item, I had a very old Black & Decker battery drill from the early 90's, which lasted me for years, and was always ready to go.

That sets my reference point for battery life - on this drill it is just hopeless. I can charge it one weekend, and it will be flat by the time I come to use the drill the following weeked - just hopeless.

The thing about a battery powered drill like this is.....it's a tool that you use on-spec for quick jobs around the house that aren't necessarily pre-planned. This tool breaks all the rules - you have to anticipate the need to use it several hours in advance, so that you can get the batteries on charge. Having a spare makes no difference - they'll both be flat!!

I just don't know what it is that runs them dowm while they're stored in the well engineered plastic case. Everything else about the drill is fine, but if there's no power, then there's no go......for the first time in years, I've had to resort to my old egg-beater hand drill, or monster corded drill on most occasions.