4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a low-cost PC
If you are looking for the lowest price per Gigabyte, this is not the drive for you. On the other hand, if you want a relatively fast and reliable hard drive for a PC that spends its time doing emails and word processing, the Caviar Blue 160GB will do nicely.
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Edutainer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!
Warning about refurbished drives from Ecosystems IT.

Published 23 months ago by Ray

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB (7200 rpm) SATA 8 MB 3.5 inch Hard Drive (Internal) (Personal Computers)
Warning about refurbished drives from Ecosystems IT.

These have been erased and verified for bad sectors. Apart from that they are not as advertised. They can be any make and any model up to six years old. Based on the SMART data they can have up to 999 days power up time and they could have been operated at the extreme limit of their temperature range for an indeterminate period of time. If it were possible to give them turds I would give them 5 turds. Beware !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a low-cost PC, 27 Oct 2011
Edutainer (Hythe, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Prompt delivery and no problems with installation. Four stars because it could be a little cheaper, given its limited size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to, 12 Sep 2011
E. Alden (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this drive as a system disk for a new build.It is very quiet and,after 2 months,has performed as I would expect.For the price you can not go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Blue 160GB, 7 April 2014
I have a test server running hyper-v so installed an OS on each drive. Good drives, nice & quiet as the case is open, I can hardly hear a thing.Nice & quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy replacement of failed hard drive, 3 July 2011
Rapid delivery; good price; easy installation of this replacement hard drive and perfect performance. The only problem was the time taken to re-install all software, including Windows XP. An unexpected benefit of having to replace the old failed hard drive was that the computer speed increased dramatically.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very old, barely working (from Comtronics), 27 Dec 2012
T. D. Welsh (Basingstoke, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Up front, let me warn you: this is not a review of a working brand-new Caviar Blue 160. Rather, it's a summary of my experience when I ordered this specific product through an Amazon merchant. (Of course, I chose the merchant that offered the best price on that particular day).

I ordered this product when I noticed that a home PC was running very sluggishly and giving very slow responses. I tested its two hard drives with HDTune and found that one of them was very slow - instead of 35-70 MB/sec which a WD Caviar Blue 160 should yield, it was doing more like 10-20 MB/sec. Access time was also slow, over 20 MSec compared to 14-15 Msec. So I ordered this drive, an exact replacement (as far as I could tell).

The drive was delivered promptly and I installed it with little difficulty. Lazily and foolishly, I assumed that a brand-new drive bought through Amazon would work fine, but after a while my family told me that the PC was just as slow as ever - if not actually worse. I ran HDTune again, only to find the new drive was performing even worse than the old one! After a few false leads (such as the need to align partitions for use with Windows XP) I realised that low-level hardware tests like HDTune and HDTach do not lie, so I asked the vendor for a refund. To do so, I had to find the drive's serial number, and while looking at the label I noticed its date of manufacture: July 2007! My PC had only been manufactured in October 2008...

When I contacted the merchant, Comtronics, I received a prompt and businesslike reply. It said, among other things, "Sorry to hear you have received an item that was not as described, we actually use a fulfillment house so we don't see the items before they are shipped". I was then offered a refund if I returned the drive, which I plan to do as soon as possible.

Sorry that this does not constitute a review of a working Caviar Blue 160, but I feel my experience may be useful to other customers. Just bear in mind that, although a drive is offered as new, it may not necessarily be. So check the label as soon as you unpack it, make a note of all the long numbers such as the serial, and make sure it has been manufactured fairly recently. Then, before using the drive, run some tests on it to be on the safe side.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 10 July 2014
Ted Ponsonby (county donegal ,.ireland.) - See all my reviews
works

4.0 out of 5 stars feedback, 3 Jun 2014
Prompt delvery. I downloaded the Western Digital clone/backup software and then moved the data from my old disk to the new one. Now I have bags of room for files and a spare backup disk as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 25 April 2014
always a fan of western digital works well

good product

right hard drive when you format it

support brilliant

5stars because they never let a hard drive down

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked first time, 29 Mar 2014
No problems at all.
Just slid it in to spare slot, connected a power supply and sata cable and
it worked straight away.
You will need to get a sata cable separately.