4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a low-cost PC
If you are looking for the lowest price per Gigabyte, this is not the drive for you. On the other hand, if you want a relatively fast and reliable hard drive for a PC that spends its time doing emails and word processing, the Caviar Blue 160GB will do nicely.
Published on 27 Oct. 2011 by Edutainer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!
Warning about refurbished drives from Ecosystems IT.

Published on 19 Oct. 2012 by Ray

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!, 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB (7200 rpm) SATA 8 MB 3.5 inch Hard Drive (Internal) (Personal Computers)
Warning about refurbished drives from Ecosystems IT.

These have been erased and verified for bad sectors. Apart from that they are not as advertised. They can be any make and any model up to six years old. Based on the SMART data they can have up to 999 days power up time and they could have been operated at the extreme limit of their temperature range for an indeterminate period of time. If it were possible to give them turds I would give them 5 turds. Beware !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a low-cost PC, 27 Oct. 2011
Edutainer (Hythe, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Prompt delivery and no problems with installation. Four stars because it could be a little cheaper, given its limited size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to, 12 Sept. 2011
E. Alden (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this drive as a system disk for a new build.It is very quiet and,after 2 months,has performed as I would expect.For the price you can not go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars When Something Isn't New, It is generally described as Used!!!, 6 Feb. 2015
This item was sold as new by digital components ltd and I had a specific project which required 6 of these at work which my boss purchased and I bought two for myself. These are old SATA 2 drives which is exactly what we wanted, manufactured around 2010. Interestingly, the antistatic bags in which they were contained, fully sealed, bore the numbers 250514 which looked suspiciously like the date of manufacture of the bag. . . . hmm!!! My suspicions were aroused.
I opened the first six. One was dented and bore obvious scratches around one of the mounting screw holes. Fear not, I continued . . . . I attempted to initialise the disks and of the first six opened, three initialised and formated O.K, two merely made loud clicking noises and one was DOA and did nothing at all. On closer inspection, all the drives contained tell tale quantities of dust in the jumper sockets but had quite clearly been studiously cleaned and prepared before being placed and sealed within their anti-static bags along with a dessicant pack. As if that isn't bad enough, all the drives have had their SMART data erased so that they appear new, as advertised which they most definitely are not. I purchased this item from Amazon since I trust them and although supplied through a third party retailer, I am disappointed with Amazon through association. This is clearly outrageous and I will be contacting Amazon for a full refund and making a formal complaint. Meanwhile, I would advise buyers to look elsewhere and obtain a drive clearly advertised as second hand - at least you will know what you are getting.
As for the last two drives - I have not opened them. One was manufactured Nov 2009 and the other March 2010 - Not a problem as they are old stock but they too are contained within sealed antistatic bags which appear to bear the date of manufacture 25th May 2014. I'm not a happy bunny!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable brand, handles daily workload., 23 July 2013
This product is a little old now, and many PCs have 1Tb or larger drives, but it can be helpful to build a PC with a system drive like this, relatively small, using a second or external drive for data storage. It simplifies system drive reinstall/cloning if anything goes wrong and it can also make recovery from a virus or hardware failure much easier. Many gamers do the same with a small solid state drives, but they cost much more than this spinning disk design. It may be slower than those expensive solid state drives, but it is fast enough for most normal home or business uses, even occasional gaming.

I bought this drive almost two years ago for a new build home PC in daily use, running Win 7 64bit - the main system files and all major software takes up less than half the drive. It has worked well and handled fairly heavy workloads at times. Placed near the intake fan of my PC case helps to keep running temps below 40C, on average it runs around 37C, even in summer room temperatures. I used to be a big fan of Maxtor drives for almost 10 years, but have never really been happy since they were swallowed up by Seagate, and bought my first Western Digital drives in 2010. All have been from the Caviar Blue range in various sizes and I have been very pleased with all of them, in fact I think my friend who recommended WD to me for several years was right, they are reliable and able to handle sustained workloads.

Summary: Small but reliable workhorse of a drive, from the Caviar Blue range that indicates fast and reliable data storage and recall.

Make sure that you get what you pay for - if you order a new sealed packet drive that is what you should get!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very old, barely working (from Comtronics), 27 Dec. 2012
T. D. Welsh (Basingstoke, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Up front, let me warn you: this is not a review of a working brand-new Caviar Blue 160. Rather, it's a summary of my experience when I ordered this specific product through an Amazon merchant. (Of course, I chose the merchant that offered the best price on that particular day).

I ordered this product when I noticed that a home PC was running very sluggishly and giving very slow responses. I tested its two hard drives with HDTune and found that one of them was very slow - instead of 35-70 MB/sec which a WD Caviar Blue 160 should yield, it was doing more like 10-20 MB/sec. Access time was also slow, over 20 MSec compared to 14-15 Msec. So I ordered this drive, an exact replacement (as far as I could tell).

The drive was delivered promptly and I installed it with little difficulty. Lazily and foolishly, I assumed that a brand-new drive bought through Amazon would work fine, but after a while my family told me that the PC was just as slow as ever - if not actually worse. I ran HDTune again, only to find the new drive was performing even worse than the old one! After a few false leads (such as the need to align partitions for use with Windows XP) I realised that low-level hardware tests like HDTune and HDTach do not lie, so I asked the vendor for a refund. To do so, I had to find the drive's serial number, and while looking at the label I noticed its date of manufacture: July 2007! My PC had only been manufactured in October 2008...

When I contacted the merchant, Comtronics, I received a prompt and businesslike reply. It said, among other things, "Sorry to hear you have received an item that was not as described, we actually use a fulfillment house so we don't see the items before they are shipped". I was then offered a refund if I returned the drive, which I plan to do as soon as possible.

Sorry that this does not constitute a review of a working Caviar Blue 160, but I feel my experience may be useful to other customers. Just bear in mind that, although a drive is offered as new, it may not necessarily be. So check the label as soon as you unpack it, make a note of all the long numbers such as the serial, and make sure it has been manufactured fairly recently. Then, before using the drive, run some tests on it to be on the safe side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy replacement of failed hard drive, 3 July 2011
Rapid delivery; good price; easy installation of this replacement hard drive and perfect performance. The only problem was the time taken to re-install all software, including Windows XP. An unexpected benefit of having to replace the old failed hard drive was that the computer speed increased dramatically.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Price for an older build, or bringing back an old PC., 17 Jan. 2014
Purchased 11 Jan 2014. Sold by Digital Components Ltd (dclstore)

The HDD came in a anti-static sealed bag, and wrapped in bubble wrap, and placed in a bubble wrap envelope. I would have preferred some sort of cardboard box instead of the envelope to help protect item during shipping.

The HDD itself looks new, but it does have a manufactured date of 2009. So its been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

These are older sata models, (not 6GB/s) but for my application (restoring an old dell to life) it was a perfect match and fit. Windows immediatly recognized it and its been working for a few days now, without any issue.

With prices of HDD's getting lower all the time, for a new build, I would suggest getting something with lots more storage space. 500GB+ and also getting the latest SATA 6GB/s.

1.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed., 16 Dec. 2014
I bought one of these last year for about £20 - it worked perfectly, and is still working perfectly.
So a year later I ordered a second one but it simply refused to initialize - I tried on three different computers using three different operating systems, it just clicked like a clock, tick...tick...tick...
I was disappointed so I gave it hard stare and that is when I noticed the .... rust on the circuit board.
What? Rust? It was well sealed, looked new, but there it was... rust on the board.
I am returning this today.
I want to order another (rather than a refund) but I am too frightened.
Is this model simply old stock that is now too old?

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Blue 160GB, 7 April 2014
I have a test server running hyper-v so installed an OS on each drive. Good drives, nice & quiet as the case is open, I can hardly hear a thing.Nice & quick.