5.0 out of 5 stars Call my bluff for the family
I just love this game. Brought for Christmas and met with groans from several members of my family, it swiftly won them over and became a new favourite. The premis is pretty simple, think call my bluff and you're there.

Published on 31 Dec 2008 by theTramp

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother
Although the illustration on this Absolute Balderdash shows the 'MOVIE' category, you receive the game with the 'EVENTS' category instead. The original game is great, but this version is not worth the bother.
Published on 28 Mar 2012 by Watto

5.0 out of 5 stars Call my bluff for the family, 31 Dec 2008
theTramp "thetramp" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)

One gamer reads out the card - it could be a law (In Ohio it is illegal to tip your hat at what..?), initials (such as U.F.O. stands for what?), a real person (Peter Smith is famous for what?) etc and then all gamers must write down an answer - only the key here is not to write the correct answer but something that you hope others will think as correct. All the gamers answers are then read out by the question reader along with the correct answer and everyone has to guess which is the real answer.

If it sounds complex believe me its not. The real skill is in pegging your fellow contestants and coming up with bluffs that appeal to their idea of truth. Fantastic fun, even for those who initially groan at the thought of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
Balderdash is a great family game whereby players are given statements from different categories and have to write their own explanations for each. Next, they have to listen to each anonymous explanation and decide which is the correct one. Players receive points for guessing correctly and when other players choose their (incorrect) explanation. With a lot of cards and categories ranging from film plots to unusual laws, this is a fun and informative game that will provide hours of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars balderdash banter, 27 Jan 2008
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
This is a game you can take seriously or be ridiculous, several strategys exist if you are observant, and the mentally creative will have a real treat trying to decieve cogoal their apponents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Triumph, 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
The hardest part of playing this game is mastering the rules. We are not an unintelligent family but we did have a few hiccups. After a little trial and error, we were off and the whole experience goes beyond winning and loosing. It's such a hoot you don't really care about the outcome. You can be old and a bit forgetful, young with a limited vocab, have learning difficulties, have several degrees, be competative, be reluctant, it makes no difference, you will enjoy this game. If you love English and words you'll love this game but you do not have to be clever. It's infectious and if you've got a little creativity or a sense of fun then this could really be the game for you. I own the game and have bought it as a requested gift. I honestly have not played with anyone who didn't really enjoy the experience and am happy to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 26 Feb 2009
El "El" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
I got introduced to this game at a friends party and it was great! So I bought it myself and now got some other friends hooked on it. It makes a great gift for someone too. One of the best boardgames I have bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasing board game, better with lots of people, 25 Jun 2009
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
Balderdash is a great board game, we play it alot at Christmas when we have alot of family over.
The basic concept is to come up with a clever, witty and believable answer that your opponents will pick as the correct answer, thus scoring you points.
These answers cover a number of different catogories including initials, movie titles, laws and famous people.
On the subject of initials, and just to give you a laugh, this is the answer that my mother in law gave on that round.
The initals were H.A.R.E.
You have to make something up that fits those initals that sounds realistic.
My mother in law's two answers were:
Heights Above Right Eye...
And just when you thought that was bad, her alternative was:
Hyenas Are Rarely Electric!!
I feel she failed to appreciate the basic idea, but it was her first go.
In summary, get this game, it's great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 24 May 2012
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
Having played this game on previous occasions I was no stranger to it. However, on playing it again I was reminded just what great fun it is for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most laughs and fun I have had with a board game for years, 3 May 2012
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
Nowadays with the WII , PS3 etc, at Christmas we have played as a family, Buzz, Just dance etc.

Until now, we bought Balderdash and I must say I have never laughed so much in ages.

The best thing about this is that my 12 year old can play (and won the last game) and he doesn't need 30 years of knowledge to know the answers, to be honest nobody knows the answers. That is where the fun lies.

I will give you an example, one question was something like "In Texas, on the 1st day of May it is illegal to do what?"

The answer is so obscure I can't remember. But the answer that one member of the family gave was "To carry your monther in law on your shoulders in public" and 4 people voted for it, giving the person who created the answer 4 points.

This game is the best family game for decades.

We are getting Dominoes and playing it again Saturday.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Laugh, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
We Had such a good laugh with this game at things that people write down about the clues & it does get your mind working What a great game I <3 It !

4.0 out of 5 stars good level playing ground, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: 20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash (Toy)
I played this when I was about 12 and loved it, then bought it for my parents this Christmas (now I'm in my late 20's). The whole family loved it! It's a great game to get everyone included as it's possible for everyone to do well (unlike scrabble for example, where there are always the good players and those that struggle a bit). I've played this with my friends now too and they really enjoyed it. Go for it!

20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash