4.0 out of 5 stars INDISPOSABLE GARBAGE
Call your band GARBAGE and you'd better be good.

Fortunately, SHIRLEY MANSON & Co were excellent. Then, as now. And let's face it, had they been anything less, the irony of such a name would have sealed their fate forever (oh, hindsight, wilt thou never cease beguiling foolish wits into Stating The Bleedin' Obvious? You won't? Okay).

To me, their...
Published on 16 July 2007 by Kelvin J. Dickinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the remixes
The other two reviewers are spot on in saying that this is not a perfect collection of Garbage's best and a couple of tracks are missing. However, the 18 tracks are all pretty good. Even then, though, their studio albums have a little more depth and diversity than this collection.

What really irritates me personally is the second disk of remixes which are...
Published on 5 Aug 2007 by Cloudberry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars nice, but definitely not 'the best of' go for the albums instead, 26 July 2007
D. Cowan "dc72" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Absolute Garbage [Special Edition Cd] (Audio CD)
It IS about time Garbage produced a 'best of' collection but I'm not sure this is it. It's always difficult to have every single favourite track included on a compilation but this one doesn't seem to have had much in the way of TLC in the process. Not sure if this is because the band is splitting up and can't be bothered, or if a record company git just cobbled it together. Where is the Tricky remix of Milk or Breaking up the Girl? Would also like to have seen a couple of album tracks from 3rd album Beautiful Garbage, esp, Can't Cry These Tears and Drive You Home.
Favourite tracks included here are Stupid Girl, Happy When it Rains, I Think I'm Paranoid, Special and Cherry Lips (Go Baby). To be honest i would recommend buying the first 3 albums instead of this compilation. good to hear The World is Not Enough again though, which isn't on any other Garbage album

2.0 out of 5 stars An appropriate name at times!, 24 July 2007
This review is from: Absolute Garbage [Special Edition Cd] (Audio CD)
I must admit I was a latecomer to Garbage; there's just too many bands around these days it's impossible to know them all. Perhaps wrongly, I usually don't bother with American modern rock, as I find the UK equivalent much better. So I first came across Garbage on TV performing Bad Boyfriend at one of the summer festivals a couple of years ago. That excellent rocker was from their then latest release, Bleed Like Me. I was impressed and immediately bought the album. I didn't know at the time that Garbage had been going around 10 years and had released 3 albums prior to Bleed Like Me. I then immediately bought the previous release, Beautiful Garbage. However as I began to listen to Bleed Like Me more closely after a time I decided that I only really liked a minority of tracks - the aforementioned Bad Boyfriend, Boys Wanna Fight, Happy Home and best of all the excellent It's All Over But The Crying; I found other tracks such as Why Don't You Come Over and even the singles Why Do You Love Me and Bleed Like Me repetitive and annoying. It wasn't long before I downloaded my fave tracks into itunes and sold the album. The other album Beautiful Garbage was similar with some fine tracks and some annoying ones. Again the opener and single Shut Your Mouth for me falls into this latter category. However this album did have enough good tracks for me to retain it, although I wasn't by then inspired to investigate the first two albums.
However, when this compliation album came out I thought I'd buy it to fill in the gaps in my Garbage collection. Well, I'm afraid I'm very disappointed. Some of the better tracks from Bleed Like Me and Beautful Garbage such as Bad Boyfriend and Androgyny are missing. Both are available on the second disc of remixes, but personally I find this disc absolutely worthless - the remixes are dreadful and for me totally unlistenable. Similarly, I was unimpressed with at least half the songs I hadn't already got. This is not a good ratio for an alleged greatest hits. In some ways I find Garbage like the band Ride, not in their sound, but in the sense that there is a promising band struggling to get out of an ultimately disappointing one. I think Ride's best tracks aren't the ones that are on their best of. I actually had all their four albums, but I burned my own compliation and then sold them, as all four had too many poor tracks amongst the decent ones for me to retain in my over large collection. I think Garbage are similar; they have a number of good, even beautiful songs, such as It's All Over But The Crying, but they are often let down by the production. I'm no expert on production, but I find the production, which is supposed to be clever (after all the band are producers as well as musicians) often very annoying.
Garbage are ultimately a most frustrating band. A lot of their songs are just repetiive and annoying, but they also have a number of excellent pop/rock songs but it seems they frequently have to submerge any melodic content under a load of modern techno/industrial (or whatever you call it) production noise. The whole of the remix disc is like this, that's why I find it unlistenable. Now if they did another set of remixes, cutting out the techno noise and letting the melodies stand by themselves unadorned they'd be worth another couple of stars!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›