Published on 7 April 2011 by CrazyStreak

2.0 out of 5 stars Cold playgiarism
Published on 12 Oct 2008 by J. A. Harvey

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, a Coldplay album, and not just singles with filler tracks, 7 April 2011
Coldplay have without doubt produced some of the most euphoric and uplifting songs, those which raise the hairs on your arm to those which bring a tear to your eyes. On listening to their first three albums, however, it soon becomes clear that if you take away the tracks which were released onto the global audience as singles, and study what is left, the material is distinctly average, and three or four great tracks don't make for a five star album.

On Viva La Vida, however, they have addressed this issue, not only do we have the uplifting crescendo singles we instantly recognise, but the tracks inbetween are also worthy of note and recognition. A mature album that takes one step forward from the others in its experimental ways, and is all the better for it. A crisp production really takes you into the heart of the Coldplay sound, unlike X&Y, where the sound production lost the euphoria that should have been felt when listening to 'Fix You' for example, and, as such, led to the albums detriment.

So, probably the first Coldplay album that you can tolerate from start to finish, without having to skip two tracks or more, (well one isn't that bad).

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Coldplay, 1 Dec 2010
I'm not a big Coldplay fan and basically got this because of the hit singles on it. But surprise, surprise the rest are good as well. Well done Coldplay - I will be sampling more of their work on the back of this. The only slight downside (slight enough not to loose a star) is the packaging. I would have preferred a sturdy plastic case but as for the songs themselves, fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry From A Satch Fan, 18 Dec 2008
I'm an extreme fan of Joe Satriani. You may call me the extremist. :-) I have been that way since Flying In A Blue Dream in about 1989. I've got every single CDs and DVDs etc. I could find about him. It's all there in my collection. Even saw his concerts 3 times.

There are very few bands from the late 90s and onwards that I listen to. One of them is COLDPLAY. Heard TROUBLE and YELLOW on the radio sometime in 2002. Brought PARACHUTE straightaway. I liked the band and the album so very much. Listened to all the albums that followed.

I was bit confused when I heard the news "Joe Satriani sues Coldplay". Joe's track IF I COULD FLY from the album IS THERE LOVE IN SPACE?, released in 2004, is all instrumental on which Joe's guitar sings. I have been listening to this for 3-4 years now. It's one of my favorites. It has nice melody, nice chord progression and nice rhythm and beat. Listened to Coldplay's VIVA LA VIDA and compared. I can say that the song has vocal melody that goes over and over again that matches with Joe's chorus section melody. It also shares similar chords progression, tempo and key I think.

Can't judge whether it's subconscious plagiarism or of anything like it or not. I've heard 100s of songs that sound similar to each other and I think that's all right and that's all it is. Both the artists are my favorites. Both the songs are good. What can I say ?

Besides, the album is very very very good. I like it as the other ones. I can feel littlebit of early U2. Highly recommended. Deserves 5 stars. I feel sorry for Coldplay and wish them all the best !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Grand indeed., 8 Dec 2008
Well, Viva La Vida is grand. Its like a massive bulk on the horizon casting an epic shadow over their other albums. But does this make it better or worse?

Lets summarise what most fans already know: Coldplay have been gaining more momentum throughout their career. With it has come a proportional increase in the grandeur of their music. Now that the band have hit every radio in the world, practically, its music has to appeal to a mass audience. In this respect the album is great, world class even.

But there is something missing from this album that made its predecessors uniquely 'Coldplay' albums. Parachutes and Rush of Blood were beautifully contained and shy whilst being intimately emotional and easy to connect with. X&Y retained this template albeit straying into the realms of arena rock in some songs. Now Viva La Vida is here and suddenly the magic has dissapeared!

I don't know why but this album is not anywhere near as good as their debut and second. It is spectacular and yet substantially less spectacular than their previous records. Songs like 'Lost', 'Viva La Vida', 'Violet Hill' are all real Stadium rockers that fill you with images of marching armies, big battles and strife. And yet I find the only song I really end up looking forward to is 'Strawberry Swing'!

So what has changed...well I'm afraid to say that Coldplay's music has Lost its soul! It has become a force devoted only to selling records. I did not find it difficult to believe every word of emotional drivel in Parachutes and Rush of Blood because it was sung with such belief and intensity by Chris and the music was so perfectly, exquisetly fitting to every damn song on both albums. X&Y even managed to have me suckered into the beautiful melodies of 'Fix You' and 'Speed of Sound'. But this album does not connect with me emotionally at all. In fact it leaves me with a kind of empty void in my stomach after each listening. While Coldplay are out trying to tackle issues about war, poverty, injustice here I am trying to figure out why Coldplay are singing about something they don't know anything about.

It is not that I do not commend Coldplay for trying to convey a different message through their album, but the real problem with doing this is that it isn't convincing enough. All the musical influences make this album feel like a world tour and the songs often sound like tracks on mediocre 80's albums. This makes the album totally and I mean TOTALLY insincere. Fitting for an album trying to tackle world wide issues?......Nope...

So how to round up? I think I would have to conclude that:

This is a good album, but it is missing the magic that made the first 2 great. Great for stadium rock concerts but completely uninspired. A massive empty bulk on the horizon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just give it time..., 22 Aug 2008
Dafydd Jones "MetalliManic" (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is Coldplay, but with a bit of a twist. I doubt these guys want to create an album that sounds generically similar every time they decide to release a collection of tracks.

So what's the big fuss, and why is everyone having a go at them? Is it because it's Coldplay and it's 'cool' to criticise them? Or is it because they are boring and dull and unimaginative? Or is it because all of their stuff sounds similar?

On the last few counts, I can say that 'Viva La Vida' is NOT boring and NOT dull. Neither is it unimaginative. It is probably the most diverse record Coldplay have produced...but does that necessarily mean that it's their best?

Flip a coin.

On one side, you have the critics who hate it for not being Coldplay - too different, too experimental, too 'bits and pieces'.

On the other hand, you have the people who enjoy it for being a diverse record, with plenty of variety shown in the songs in structure and in how they sound.

I admit myself, it's the kind of record that grows on you. They do say that the best records tend to do so.

'Viva La Vida' is a great album. And it's great because Coldplay create wonderful music.

The standout tracks are: 'Lost!', '42', 'Lovers in Japan', 'Violet Hill', and the title-track, 'Viva La Vida'.

However, there isn't one bad track on it, despite many people dismissing the album. Other tracks, 'Life in Technicolor', 'Cemeteries of London', 'Yes', 'Strawberry Swing', and 'Death and All of His Friends' are good, but don't grab you by the scruff of the neck and beg for your listening attention.

Maybe we take Coldplay for granted. They create excellent music, but some people fail to recognize this. They perceive them as dull and unimaginative. But 'Viva La Vida' is anything but. It is the bravest Coldplay album yet. And quite possibly one of the best, if only because of that. 8/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 25 Mar 2010
L. Roche (UK) - See all my reviews
Coldplay have been a band that has perhaps become more distinctive as the years have passed, and their latest offering is perhaps the most original of their albums to date. These days, I rarely want to listen to an album very often, but this is an exception, and still remains enjoyable. Perhaps the most distinctive sound on the album, and a favourite of mine, is the tack piano prominent on "Lovers in Japan". Chris Martin says the band constructed this themselves because they liked the sound so much, and I can understand why.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cold playgiarism, 12 Oct 2008
J. A. Harvey (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Look the album's not as good as some of their other stuff and the title and cover are as pretentious as Hilda Ogden at a Sushi bar, but hey no problem, they've done great things in the past and they've got a bit of credit in the bank, but that's not we want to talk about, what we want to talk about is, did Chris nick the tune of Joe Satriani's 'If I Could Fly'? You know, the song that sounds exactly like 'Viva La Vida'.

He says he didn't, and I for one am prepared to believe him, in fact this sort of thing happens all the time. I once recorded a song that sounded exactly the same as 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Fortunately a very good friend told me just before the record company released it, saving me the ignominy of a long protracted and very damaging lawsuit. Poor old Chris Martin just doesn't have friends like mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total awsome forgot how good vinyl really is !!!, 16 Mar 2012
Mark Hopkins "hoppy871" (england) - See all my reviews
Everybody thinks digital is the way forward but you can not beat the tune playing through a needle in your very own eyes specially listening to this fantastic album like this Amazzzinggg

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Coldplay, 22 Oct 2009
Coldplay's fourth studio album, "Vida la Vida or Death and All His Friends", was released on June 11th, 2008 and was an immediate success both with the critics as well as with the public. The album went to #1 in numerous countries, and eventually won the Grammy award for the Best Rock Album. Though a relatively short album for these days, only 47 minutes, it is nonetheless large in message and scope. Some have criticized it because it lacks an edge, which often great albums have, but in spite of that, or perhaps because of it, it is noteworthy. In any case, it is true to what the group has always been.

It opens with "Life in Technicolor" a very pleasant instrumental introduction to the album which sets the tone for the whole album. There is a longer version of the song that has lyrics titled "Life in Technicolor II" which appears on the 2008 EP "Prospekt's March". "Cemeteries of London" is a beautiful song, with intriguing lyrics. "Lost!" follows along the same lines as a slow melodic piece. "42" starts off along the same lines, but then transitions into a higher-energy piece. "Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love" continues to play to the strength of the band, with a strong melody and interesting lyrics, the first half having a good driving rhythm, and then transitioning into a very slow a melodic second half.

"Yes" opens up the second half of the album and is another example of how the band can produce similar pieces, and yet make them sound completely different. There is a hidden piece at the end of "Yes" called "Chinese Sleep Chant". The title track "Viva la Vida" is next, and is a piece destined to be around for a long time as a classic. "Violet Hill" is next, the first anti-war piece from the group. "Strawberry Swing" is next, a nicely crafted piece which leads well into the closing piece. "Death and All His Friends" is a nice simple closing to the album, though it doesn't actually close the album as there is a hidden instrumental piece called "The Escapist" which forms a nice bookend with the opening "Life in Technicolor".

Coldplay is Chris Martin (lead vocals, keyboards, guitar), Johnny Buckland (lead guitar), Guy Berryman (bass guitar), and Will Champion (drums, backing vocals, other instruments). "Viva La Vida" is a very melodic and thoughtful album, which is well-crafted musically and lyrically. From their start, Coldplay was a highly thought of musical group, and this is their best album to date, and that wasn't an easy goal to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coldplay's New Sound: Different But Still Amazing!, 28 Nov 2008
I can't believe the amount of people on here who are saying 'Oh, it's not like the old Coldplay, it's a bit weird...' Ok, so Coldplay have changed their sound and it's almost nothing like their previous three albums. Who cares? Over the years, most bands have changed their sound a bit, because, to be honest, who would really even like them if they kept on making the same old stuff? I am still completely in love with the older albums but have to admit that if this album was exactly the same then I wouldn't be a Coldplay fan any more. Change for bands is good if it is the way they want to go. If Coldplay themselves didn't like this sound, then neither would I. But it is what they wanted and I like that about them. If you are a 'die-hard' Coldplay fan then you will always go with what the band is doing but still love the old stuff. I only really got into Coldplay about 3 or 4 years ago when I was about 9 or 10, and at first I hated X & Y and Parachutes. But now my taste in music has matured and I love them as much as 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' and 'Viva La Viva or Death and All His Friends.' This album is full of potential number one's, not just Viva La Vida and Violet Hill. They were all brilliant tracks but here are the ones which stood out for me (in order of the listing).

Life in Technicolour: This one sounded, at first, a bit airy-fairy, if you get what I mean, and then developed into a real stunner of a track! Yes it's an instrumental but that doesn't take away from it.
Lost: Lost sounds like something you'd expect to hear at a sports game, it is anthemy and upbeat. The rhythm sounds a bit like Queen's We Will Rock You.
42: It is quite hard to describe. The lyrics are a bit ghostly and the piano music is quite haunting but it's a great song all the same!
Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love: I caught one person complaining about the 'double-barrel' title, but once again, who cares? It's a great song. That's all there is to it.
Viva La Vida: What can I say? It's catchy, upbeat, has great lyrics which you can't help but sing along to and it is just a downright magic song!
Violet Hill: I absolutely hate the first 40-ish seconds as there is no point in it, but after this the song is one of Coldplay's best. The guitar music is just indescribable and any true fan will love it.
Strawberry Swing: This, in my opinion, is one of the best tracks on the album. It has the feeling of quality about it and the rhythm is fabulous. Chris Martin's vocals are, as ever, amazing.
Death and All His Friends: There are very few words which can describe this song accurately so I'm not going to even try. Just listen to it, OK!
The Escapist: Why is this song not listed on Amazons track listing? Is it a hidden track or something? Anyway, it is a fab song to put it simply.

Hope you take notice of this review and get it into your head to go out and buy a simply mind-boggling album!

VIVA LA VIDA
VIVA LA VIDA by Coldplay (Audio CD)