4.0 out of 5 stars Tyre change
Tyre changer simple to use.Downside is the tyre bar fine for removing tyres but not good for refitting would seriously scratch alloys.Have my doubts about the bead breaker regarding larger tyres.Decent price though.
Published on 31 Mar. 2011 by Frasmac

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not brilliant
I have bought one of these and just changed a set of quite large 4x4 tyres. I didn't buy the optional alloy wheel bar and as expected the standard bar digs and in causes some scratches. I don't know why they don't provide a universal bar for steel and alloy wheels in the first place.

The main problem is the bead breaker which isn't strong enough and had...
Published on 25 Aug. 2011 by jonnylandagent

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not brilliant, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)

The main problem is the bead breaker which isn't strong enough and had already bent.

The toll took a bit of getting used to and initially i found difficulty in getting the beads to seat, but once I had worked out how to do it - there were no instructions on this part of the process - I had no further problems.

But, it cost about the same as having the tyres fitted at a depot so it's already paid for itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but could be better!, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
I bought this to change my summer tyres to winter.

I have 16" alloy wheels: the bar supplied is for use on steel wheels. However if you are careful as I was you can change your tyres without scratching them with the bar supplied.

You really do need to secure the base to something, it has bolt holes to enable you to do this. However I put mine on a pallet and secured it with two ratchet straps. Worked perfectly.

I used a rag to stop the star thing from scratching my wheels. Worked perfectly.

The only problem I have is with the bead breaker. It snapped on the irst use of the first wheel. Clearly if you can't break the bead the whole thing is useless. To overcome this I welded a bit of angle iron to it and now it's stronger than the original design and works just as well if no better.

I contacted sealey about the bead breaker, they said if I send it back to them through the company I bought it off they'd decide whether or not to replace or refund me for the part. This is obviously more trouble than it's worth.... But no a photograph won't do! So although it's guaranteed for a year, it's not really worth the paper it's printed on.

If you buy one of these, you need a valve extractor and soap. I used propper tyre soap buy any soap works.

Obviously you'll also need a tyre inflator too, one that works off a compressed air tank, the others that plug into your ciggerett lighter won't blow the brad out when reseating it.

I would have been charged £12.50 a wheel to change and balance.... I haven't balanced, I may not need to but ive saved a few quid with this all the same....

You can buy manual balancing devices but it can also be done with a steel ball, if you happen to hav one!

It took me 25 mins per wheel to do, had I not cares so much about my alloy wheels it wold have taken maybe 10 mins
There is a YouTube video of a guy doing taking a tyre off in two mins.

I found it easier to put the tyre on than take it off, so if you struggle to take it off, don't worry! That's the hard part.

The tyre will only come off on the side that has the bead well.

My advice is buy this if you can weld the bead breaker when it snaps, if you can't then don't bother. Or buy a seperated bead breaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tyre change, 31 Mar. 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit with tweaks., 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
This Tyre changer is a great piece of kit but I recommend some minor tweaks to optimise it. A typical chinese proprietary item, badged with brand name - the same beast can be found at various price tags.

Youtube videos and internet links identify operation and ways to overcome issues - Main concerns are alloy wheel damage and the strength of the lever operated bead breaker, shoe supporting arms. Bead breaking requires fair leverage and good shoe positioning.

I am using the tyre changer for large tyres at 235 70 R16 size. Tweaks I have had to consider to optimise my tyre changes are -

Wheel clamping - I had to turn up a simple steel ring for clamping as the wheel's 6 hole configuration left the supplied 4 way spider clamp only clamping on two positions at best. The spider arms now clamp by sandwiching the ring which bears on the full hub anulus. The ring also serves to protect the surface.

For bead breaker strengthening I put a length of 20mm diameter steel bar between the arms with a 1/4 bolt through the middle just at the point before where the arms flare out to the bead breaking shoe form. This rigidises the breaker, no problem.

To protect alloy wheel surfaces firstly I filed to smooth radii all sharp corners on the steelwork likely to come into contact when bead braking the tyre. Even with this I use thick rubber matting to further protect the wheel alloy surfaces
Bead breaking the existing tyre from the rim is the toughest part of the process. The bead breaker shoe tends to push out away from the rim and deflect the tyre leaving the bead stuck on the rim. You get there eventually with tecnique but I dont think the shoe is idesly profiled for the job.
For tyre removal / fitting I've dropped using the accompanying chunky rough bar and use a couple of cheap Neilsen 36 inch tyre levers, protected with strategically wrapped, 2" wide electrical insulation tape to avoid scratching the rim - Special bars for alloy wheel tyre removal/mounting that include rollers are out there however.
The electrical insulation taped areas are sprayed with silicon lubricant at the wheel contact points just before use.

Regards tyre preparation, plenty of tyre lubricant brushed around the bead sidewall and tyres will come off and on relatively easily. Use proper tyre assembly paste to lubricate the sidewall sealing peripheries! Important not to use washing up type liquids as fat removing elements can eat the alloy wheel surface when trapped between sidewall and rim.

So 4 stars is my rating. The unit is genrally fit for function and fairly well built. It must be bolted down. I mounted mine on a 3/4" (20mm) thick plywood sheet 4ft square, supported on 20mm thick timber runners. Be prepared to make the considerations mentioned for larger wheels, especially alloy types.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ball breaker, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
Be sure to replace the assembly bolts supplied with real ones before you use it .
I didn't , and whilst trying to break the bead on a 235/85 R16 using only the lever supplied , I broke two of them , causing both the base the and the bead breaker to bend .
It didn't really take a great deal of effort to break it .

2.0 out of 5 stars TC960 Tyre Changer with bead breaker problems, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
The problem with this manual changer is its just not built strong enough. Had 8 tyres that needed the bead broken. First tyre proved problematic with the bead beaker end bending with the force being applied and still not shifting the bead seal. Ended up placing a peace of wood between the tyre and the bead breaker to spread the force across the tyre and this did the job. After the next few tyres got things running reasonably smoothly but there is no way this will easily break a tyre bead without the use of the wood block. Also when I was finished noticed the tyre changer was leaning to one side on closer inspection saw that the metal beam that the changer was bolted to had deformed under the force used to break the beads and caused the bolt to be pulled up and deform around the drilled hole it sits in! So took it apart banged the beam back into shape drilled another hole used two bolts in place with extra big washers to spread the load, seems ok now but keeping an eye on the next issue that will need modifying. Shame corners have been cut to make this, could have been a good peace of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars few small problems, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
it works ok but not as good as i expected, it seems to strugle breaking the bead no matter where i set it, removes the tyre well of the rim but the fitting tool dose not seem quite right after speaking to my friend who has one he adjusted the part that hooks around the rim and had no trouble

4.0 out of 5 stars Bead breaker. or bead bender? ? ? The only fault we found., 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
A superb bit of kit. Well built and looks good. Bolt to floor for best stability. Excellent seller, fast delivery.
Used it this week, replaced 2 standard ford KA tyres, 165 /70 /13 on steel wheels.
It easily did the job but the bead breaker became bent out of shape after tyre 2 bead was broken.
It was used precicely as instructed, bolted down, beads lubed, tyres deflated and valve cores removed.
This is evidently a weakness. It may be confined to our unit? ? But it may also be a weak batch too. Ideally, this part needs to be significantly reinforced as it is a part which needs to cope with crazy pressure. We are awaiting a replacement blade. I will further review this after the company replaces the part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Quite Well, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
From some of the other reviews I was expecting problems with the Bead Breaker part of this Machine. I changed 6 x 14" 195 Caravan Tyres with no problems. I would think you will have problems with larger heavier tyres such as 4x4. I did make rubber gaskets to stop the wheel clamp from marking the paint on the rim. But for the Price I was quite pleased with the performance of this machine. The instructions on how to use the machine are hopeless, but there are videos on Youtube if you search.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product to us, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer (Automotive)
Good product to us, however you have to be careful when working with alloy wheels as the four legged locking collar can damage the surface face when it is tightened up.

Sealey TC960 Manual Operation Tyre Changer