Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2010
I have earlier reviewed the 9th, 6th and 2nd symphonies with Paavo Järvi and The Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie and was looking forward to their version of the 3rd, which is one of my favorites of the Beethoven symphonies, and although I feel a bit guilty for giving it only four stars, because it is definitely a supernice recording, the fact remains that tempos generally are a bit too fast for my taste.

It is not because I'm leaning towards the very slow renditions of Klemperer or Fürtwangler, not at all, but I do miss a little more time and breathing in many passages, specially in the 1st movement - a little more stretching. But when this is said it is certainly a great recording, which must be said of all their recording in this series of all nine of Beethoven's symphonies - and don't get frighten by the fact that it only is a chamber orchestra and not a full scale symphony orchestra, you won't miss anything, on the contrary, you get a wonderful clarity in the sound where you hear everything because the balance is so perfect - but still we have a full warm and natural sound.

So if you are looking for a different version of Beethoven's Erorica, then don't hesitate this will make a prominent choice, but if you only want one version, then I would go for Karajan's version - of course that is all down to a matter of taste.
on 29 February 2016
Symphony No. 8 is absolutely superb.