5.0 out of 5 stars Sam & Albert, The Grave Maker, And Alfred P Doolittle
Published on 8 July 2007 by Barry McCanna

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not rip this CD to my MP3 player
Published 19 days ago by Lucy Zulu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam & Albert, The Grave Maker, And Alfred P Doolittle, 8 July 2007
Barry McCanna (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
There was a time when the art of monologue held quite a hallowed place in our culture, as evinced by such names as Gillie Potter, Sandy Powell and Joyce Grenfell. Stanley Holloway was born in East London, but assumed the persona of a northerner, having perfected the accent during the First World War through enlisting in a Yorkshire regiment. Avid has gathered together 35 of his classic monologues, spanning 1930 to 1941, together with dialogue with Sir Laurence Olivier from the soundtrack of the 1947 film "Hamlet", concluding with his two celebrated 1956 recordings as Alfred P Doolittle of the two songs from "My Fair Lady". As is usual with Avid, superb restoration coupled with generous running time has produced a tremendous bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars the essential collection. stanley Holloway, 8 April 2013
Mrs. L. Bohen (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this CD mainly for the rendition of Albert and the lion. I was delighted to discover more tales about Albert. other humorous rhymes make it highly entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not rip this CD to my MP3 player, 4 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
I've awarded only three stars because I was unable to rip it to my laptop / MP3 player, which is my main source of listening to music. I have never had any previous problems in ripping CDs, so I'm guessing that maybe this has inbuilt securty which prevents me from doing so. I would not have purchased it had I known that this beforehand. As for the content of the CD, I have played only short pieces here and there on my car CD player. Since I haven't played all of it, I cannot give a fair opinion, but what I have heard I enjoyed and would recommend to those who appreciate the lost art of the monologue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 21 Mar 2013
Listened to this with friends of like age (88) brought back many happy memories. Laugh - laugh - laugh need one say more !

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
I remember these monologues from when I was a child, but they don't seem quite as funny as they did then.

4.0 out of 5 stars The works of Stanley Holloway, 24 Feb 2014
I have always loved the Holloway monologues and this collection contains many of his most memorable, slightly dated but extremely enjoyable, if you have a yen to listen to some of these witty stories this collection is for you.
Geeg

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious Holloway, 16 Sep 2013
What a character, what a talent,every track on this CD is entertaining, even the gloomy subjects are funny, buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars stanley holloway, 18 Aug 2013
Brilliant but could be louder. I had to have the MP3 at 100% volume instead of usual 25%. Might be a problem in a noisy environment but otherwise thoroughly recommended - very funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars statlysiron, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
Bought for the memories of childhood and sent as a gift. Apparently caused the elder statesman to sing along with the help of other elder statesmen and grandchildren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Essential Collection (Audio CD)
Very much of it's time but is a generous compilation of some of Stanley Holloway's best known and popular monologues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Essential Collection
The Essential Collection by Stanley Holloway (Audio CD - 2007)