5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by dangeruxb

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad
Not the most exciting selection of madrigals. I like them more lively and playful. I don't mean to criticise the TAllison Scholars
Published 7 months ago by gordon reid

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: English Madrigals (Audio CD)
Delightful rendition of most of the really well-known examples of the genre. This is now a fairly old recording so isn't up to the minute in terms of scholarship, but that hardly matters. Some may find the singing a little too professional in that madrigals were supposed to be for gifted amateurs rather than trained voices, but anyone studying the music of the time will still find this very accessible. As an introduction to music of the 16/17 Centuries it's hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely historical sound!, 11 Jan 2013
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: English Madrigals (Audio CD)
I heard snippets of this album on Classic FM - the only radio station I listen to these days, and although I wouldn't have thought I'd care that much for singing without music, I really liked what I heard! It thus prompted me to come and listen to some more of the samples here at Amazon from the album, and I liked what I heard and so I bought it! This has a distinct `medieval' sound to it which for those who like history will probably enjoy the atmosphere this type of singing creates.

Lovely!

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 4 May 2014

English Madrigals
English Madrigals by William Byrd (Audio CD - 2007)