on 15 November 2008
My 9 year old son got this for his Birthday and loved it. It took him a while to build though isn't this the whole idea of mega bloks that children work at their own pace?? I would hate to spend £20 on this and he builds it in under an hour especially since it is not like a younger set where they will break it up a week later and build again at a later stage. Once these are built then he puts on a shelf alongside other vehicles built. Takes them away from TV and consoles for a while!! Would not recommend it for under 8year olds and this is why on the box it does state 8 plus due to the size of some of the pieces.

Also bought it for my 18year old nephew when he noticed my son had it and he loved it also and built it in 5hrs and now has it displayed in his room.

Positive review and no issues from a 9yr old and 18yr old.
on 1 June 2008
Cards on the table - I did not purchase this toy from Amazon, but I feel compelled to spread the word on how poor this toy is.

I've never written an online review before, so that should help quantify the level of disappointment that I feel about MegaBloks.

My son is four and a half years old and a big F1 McLaren fan. Lewis Hamilton is his hero.

This product is rated for 8 year olds, but my boy has successfully built a number of 8 - 12 year old Lego sets with minimal assistance.

After the initial joy of the excellent metal presentation tin, the disappointment that followed was crushing.

First off, this is NOT Lego. There is a reason that Lego is more expensive - it is much better designed and made. The plastic quality of MegaBloks is CHEAP. Oh well, not the end of the world. My son is four - he won't care.

Next up, stickers. The stickers provided are placed on after construction and stretch across multiple bricks - so you can't take the model apart without spoiling the stickers. Poor design, but we can live with that - he'll probably want to play with this set as a F1 car and not as a "building set".

BUT the final problem is the show-stopper. The pieces are so badly moulded that they do not fit together!!! Watching my son struggle to work with some of the "Bloks", I realised that he would need more help than with Lego and put this down to the poor plastic quality. However, when we got to using the four wheel struts (a custom piece designed for this set) I found that even I couldn't put it together. A moulding defect on three of the pieces meant that they would not lie flush with the other bricks. The model COULD NOT BE COMPLETED. Not by a 4 year old, not by an 8 year old, not by a 32 year old man. Upon closer inspection, the moulding defects are obvious and clearly mean that they will not fit together properly as shown in the instructions.

I could probably correct the defects with a Stanley knife and a file, but there is a danger that I will break the pieces. I'm not going to bother - I'm going back to the store to ask for a refund.

My advice? Think building bricks, think Lego. More expensive, but better value. The only shame is that Lego have a number of Ferrari-endorsed F1 kits, but no McLaren.

Now I need to make this fiasco up to my son.
on 12 October 2008
Agree with everything the first reviewer said. We normally only buy Lego, but as my son is a Lewis Hamilton fan we decided to go for this cheaper product.

Although the standard lego style bricks go together ok, the pieces designed specifically for this model are so poorly manufactured that the model is impossible to build. If I can find my receipt (actually bought from Woolworths) I will try to obtain a refund.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.
on 2 April 2009
After purchasing the 1:9 Lego F2007 Ferrari I decided to give this kit a go to display alongside.
Have to start by saying I completely disagree wit the first reviewer on this site. Yes, this isn't Lego, but in theory is identical, just with a few more custom, machined parts. I had no problems putting this kit together, none of the moulding problems with any parts. The suspension struts had no problems going on or fitting together as mentioned.
Yes the stickers, once on cover more than one brick but to be honest this isnt a 'toy' as such. Due to the scale, it is basically a display model. And a decent one at that. It has a removable engine cover revealing moulded engine block and exhaust. The tyres are grooved and with Bridgestone markings unlke the Lego kit. The moulded front/rear wings could be seen as cheating but do add to the look of the kit. Build time is around 4 hours.
For anyone who doesn't want to spend #70 on the 1:9 Ferrari, this is a perfect, reasonably priced alternative. So, although I would not recommend this for a 4 year old, it is definately worth a purchase at #20 for anyone else.
Only downside is unlike the Lego kits where they seperate the pieces into selected bags, this doesn't really and you end up opening all the bags at once.

Oh and on a further plus side... it is Fernando Alonso's 2007 car for a change and no sign (not even decals) of a certain Lewis Hamilton!! :)
on 30 December 2008
I have to disagree with the negative reviews that this product has received. I bought this for my Dad for Christmas as he is a massive Lewis Hamilton fan and he was absolutely over the moon with it - in fact we could barely get him away from it for lunch! He said it was definately on a level with Lego and that all the pieces went together nicely. The presentation was also nice in the tin. Give this a go - It really isn't that bad at all.
on 10 December 2009
Please note that if you buy this item from a Marketplace seller it may not be the version in the 'premium tin packaging' as described by Amazon (this is because sellers cannot monitor 100% all Amazon product listing updates). My advice would be to check with the Marketplace seller before buying if the packaging type is of concern to you.

The toy is excellent and provides hours of fun for boys (and boys at heart).
on 27 December 2008
I bought this model for my fiance who is a massive F1 fan. He loved it! We have started building it together and found it alot of fun. There are alot of pieces and the instructional pictures do look a bit daunting if you have never done anything like this before, but on the whole they are very good. There are alot of small pieces so certainly would not reccomened this for anyone under 8 as the box states. It has quite a high difficulty rating on the box, but i would think most kids would find it an ejoyable challenge. A great activity for boys and their Dad's or Mum's - espescially if they are keen F1 fans. Also, the toy comes in a lovely presentation tin. I wouldn't say that this is a toy that is designed to be played with - more to work on and be admired as an achievement of the youngster that has built it, but a great model kit non-the-less.
on 17 September 2014
you can tell its not lego, but went together ok and looks alright finished
on 7 September 2015
Not built yet, as bought for early Xmas present, looks very good.