4.0 out of 5 stars Solid second album
This is a very good album. Okay, it's not quite up to the standards of Eye to the Telescope, but at least she's trying to evolve with her sound a little.

There are fewer of the acoustic, introspective tracks of her debut, and a more upbeat, electric sound. Having said that, there are still acoustic numbers here. My personal favourites are the upbeat 'Hopeless',...
Published on 13 Sept. 2007 by B. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic
Published on 24 Oct. 2007 by Mr. J. B. Mcquade

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic, 24 Oct. 2007
Mr. J. B. Mcquade (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
KT Tunstall's latest offering, 'Drastic Fantastic', is a satisfying follow up to her excellent previous album, 2004's 'Eye To The Telescope'. It must be said that I cannot see this album producing as many stand out singles as the afore mentioned 'Eye To The Telescope', but the strength of each track combines to create a collection of wonderfully crafted songs. This album proves that Scotland's premiere songstress achieved no fluke in aquiring a lucrative record deal at such a late age. Ms Tunstall demonstrates here a mixture of musical styles which have been impressively honed through years of gigging and song writing in Scotland. Ranging from deep and melancholy to young and punky, KT gives the impression that she is baring her soul on this album and it is much appreciated. Stand out tracks for me include the somber 'Beauty of Uncertainty', punky track 'I Don't Want You Now' and the opening song 'Little Favours'. If you like the formula of wonderful accoustic arrangements coupled with catchy vocal melodies then this album is a worthy addition to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars grows on you, 7 Nov. 2007
Mr. A. L. Johnson "ajo99" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
On the first couple of listens, I found the album disppointing with no stand-out tracks (unlike the first album), but I think it is worth perservering with.

Tunstall's singing seems to blend in with the music and backing vocals more than on the first album, and I think this is why the songs don't grab you on first listenings. She has a very distinctive voice, but here it is deployed with more subtlety, and it is this that you discover on repeated listenings

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fantastic*****, 16 Sept. 2007
choco2love (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
I've just bought it yesterday, and after hearing it 3 times, I think KT has done very well indeed!!! It starts with upbeat&powerful tunes, and ends with more softer melodies;it's nicely balanced. I haven't seen the documentary DVD yet, but it says there's live performances of Turn Into You; If Only; Suddenly I See; Saving My Face; Hopeless; White Bird; I Want You Back; Ain't Nobody; Hold On.
I'm just a little curious about the lyrics-booklet: does everyone else have the lyrics printed??? Because I don't: there's the song's title on each page but not the lyrics. Is it an accident or does nobody have the lyrics???

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and deep, 25 April 2008
C. Walford (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
When I first heard Eye of the Telescope half the tracks immediately appealed to me but after playing it a few times I found, if anything I liked the sublteties and depth of the tracks that did not orignally catch the ear. The same can be said for Drastic Fantastic. Its a different sound from ETT and this might put you off if you expect more of the same. Play the tracks a few times however and that depth of music and lyrics come through again. There is no doubt that KTT is a very special musician and the more you listen to her music, the more you get out of it. An excellent disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second album is excellent!, 15 April 2011
Mr. I. English "I.J. English" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
If you thought KT Tunstall was superb on her debut album, "Eye To The Telescope", then you'll be pleased to know that her 2nd album "Drastic Fantastic" is an excellent follow-up release. And she's still in fine performing form for this new album. It starts with "Little Favours" which is an excellent opening track, and continues with "If Only". The rest of the "Drastic Fantastic" album is mostly 'good' throughout the playback. The booklet has pictures drawn in comic-book style - I wonder who had that idea? Could it have come from KT herself? A mind-boggling thought, and something for long-time fans and devoted fans to think about if they wish to. The front cover has KT in a short white dress, strumming (or rocking big beats) a grey electric guitar against a black background - rock on KT Tunstall! If you have this album already, but are unsure about what it's like, follow these steps for success every time. (1)Turn on hi-fi (2)Select CD from the list of options you may already have (3)Insert the "Drastic Fantastic" CD into the CD tray (4)Press Play. If you like it as much as I do, do a review for Amazon.co.uk, telling them how much you enjoyed the CD! Fans who don't have a copy may be heading to Amazon.co.uk to buy a new copy. It's an excellent follow-up album!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a really good album, 24 Dec. 2010
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
It surprising how things can suddenly trigger you to like someone or something. I was watching "Buzzcocks" one evening when KT Tunstall was one of the contestants and was struck by just how intelligent, articulate and humorous she was. It made me think "Hmmmm lets have a listen to what this woman sounds like" and so I bought this album and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how accomplished it is.

This is her second album and it gives me a sort of Robert Smith / The Cure kinda vibe about some of the tracks. It is just a very well written collection of 11 songs, with some really upbeat music. I play it quite often and 6 tracks in particular leap out and get regular play on my iPod - they are: Little Favours, If Only, Funnyman, Hopeless, I Don't Want You Now and Saving My Face. KT Tunstall is a rare talent in that she isn't driven by the glitz and glamour of pop stardom ....with her it is genuinely about the buzz of writing and playing her own music and it shows in the songs. I have become a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic album, 12 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
Do not listen to the people who are putting KT down. This is a fine album. Ok, it's not quite as good as eye to the telescope but did you really think it could be. There is something strange about this country. By that I mean that the public seem to like to praise an artist to begin with so that their fame and status goes through the roof just so they can shoot them down to make their demise more tragic.

Get over it naysayers. KT is here to stay.

5.0 out of 5 stars From strength to strength, 7 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
KT Tunstall is a wonderful talent. She has been compared to Katie Melua and others, but these comparisons aren't really fair. She has a style very much her own and it is showcased beautifully on this album. She has a wonderful voice which makes her material instantly recognisable. This third album features even more classy songwriting.

I have listened to this album from start to finish more times than I can rememeber and I still can't get bored of it. The production is beautiful and really makes the songs feel full of energy and life. "White Bird" is a glorious acoustic number, with delicate vocals. Opener "Little Favours" is a great way to start any record, while "Hopeless" is wonderful little self-deprecating track with nice lyrics and a melody that will stick in your head for days afterwards.

If you get a chance, see her in concert as well. She is an incredible performer and her material really comes to life in a live setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two KT's for the price of One, 20 Sept. 2007
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Drastic Fantastic (Audio CD)
KT maybe eager to stay true to her roots , but when your debut album sells 4 million copies your record company want something similar next time out.

And indeed we get two KT Tunstall's for the price of one here. We get the glamour pop princess on the one hand (one only needs to look at the cover picture), whilst the old folk KT still wants it's time in the spotlight. You cannot deny that on certain tracks, radio-friendly pop mega sellers were certainly in mind.

The likes of Little Favours, If Only and Hold On are instantly memorable. I Don't Want You Now and next single Saving My Face aren't quite up to those levels but are both good songs as well.

I have to admit that it all gets a bit too pedestrian for me in parts. Paper Aeroplane and White Bird are not terrible songs, but can't really hold a candle to the slower songs from ETTT and without being too unkind, Beauty Of Uncertainty is at least two minutes too long. Slim it down to 3 minutes instead of 5 and it might have kept me interested for it's duration.

Still all is not lost on this side of the coin. Someday Soon just enchants me. Its simple, but wonderfully heartfelt and is the song that most grabs me like Heal Over did on its predecessor.

It's hard to say that it's better than Eye To The Telescope, and I have to admit to not really believing the "you have to be drastic to be fantastic" line that Tunstall has been spinning, but that doesn't make this a bad album.

It has enough shiny pop hits to captivate the casual fan who loves her on the basis of Black Horse & Cherry Tree or Suddenly I See and also, despite my ambivalence to some of the tracks, enough of the softer/acoustic side of KT that drew in other people as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drastic KT Tunstall, 16 Oct. 2010
R. Drinkall (UK) - See all my reviews
KT seem's to be moving away from her original style of presentation, with a full size band she is now in danger of becoming just one of crowd. I still enjoyed the music, but it wont be played as much as her first album Eye To The Telescope.
I was also sad to see that the enclosed DVD was just a documentary and not a live show or even the music videos.
The only reason this cd was bought was becouse she seems not to be releasing her music on Vinyl any more?
The vinyl version of Eye To The Telescope was fantastic.
Who can forget that wounderful first performance she did on the Jools Holland show, "on her own!" magic,just magic!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Drastic Fantastic
Drastic Fantastic by KT Tunstall (Audio CD - 2007)