Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 July 2007
The reason why I am reviewing this nearly four weeks before its release in the UK is that I saw Loreena McKennitt in her only UK concert at London's Barbican Theatre on 3 April. After a magnificent evening, I bought a copy of the CD/DVD set for £25 at the tour sales stand. Paying the extra £3:51 cost for having the set for an extra 4½ months is money well spent.

The concert was recorded in September 2006 at the Alhambra palace in Granada. It must be said that Loreena's music melds beautifully with the backdrop of the palace and whoever had the idea for the concert here was truly inspired.

There are 18 tracks on the album - the 2 CDs - and the order is the same for the DVD. There is a commentary by Loreena at intervals throughout the concert and you get a real understanding of how her mind works, in putting together the historical images which shape her albums; each album being a history lesson and a travelogue for her research which culminates in her marvellous albums.

There are tracks from all her studio albums:

* Penelope's Song", "Caravanserai" and "Never-Ending Road (Amhran Duit)" are all from "An Ancient Muse", the brilliant new album;

* "The Mystic's Dream", "The Bonny Swans" and "Santiago" are from "The Mark And Mirror";

* "She Moved Through The Fair" and "Stolen Child" are from "Elemental";

* "The Mummer's Dance", "Marco Polo" and "Dante's Prayer" are from "The Book Of Secrets";

* "Bonny Portmore", "All Souls Night", an abbreviated version of "The Lady Of Shalott", "The Old Ways" and "Cymbeline" are all from "The Visit"; and

* "Huron 'Beltane' Fire Dance" is from "Parallel Dreams".

Finally, there is a wonderful version of "Raglan Road, the poem written by Patrick Kavanagh.

The musicians are a stellar A-list group, including many of those who have played on Loreena's studio albums - Brian Hughes, Caroline Lavelle, Donald Qwan, Hugh Marsh to name just a few. However, there are many more top-class musicians playing here and when you add Loreena's voice, the result is startlingly wonderful and unforgettable.

This is a major concert in a magnificent setting - a spectacular occasion which all fans will enjoy. For all British fans, it is hoped that Loreena will return for more concerts soon.
on 27 August 2007
There are at least two versions of this DVD/CD on Amazon - not sure what the differences are.

I reviewed the other version nearly four weeks before its release in the UK, because having seen Loreena McKennitt in her only UK concert at London's Barbican Theatre on 3 April - a magnificent evening - I bought a copy of the CD/DVD from her sales kiosk.

There are tracks from all her studio albums:

* "She Moved Through The Fair" and "Stolen Child" are from "Elemental";

* "Huron 'Beltane' Fire Dance" is from "Parallel Dreams".

22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2007
The DVD and CDs each contain the same concert in the Alhambra in Spain. Both the show and the film of it are superb. It's fascinating to see the effortless control with which Loreena lifts her voice from husky recitation to high skirling purity. The musicianship on display, including hers, is top-notch.

So: it's beautiful songs in a beautiful voice with beautiful music in a beautiful setting. With the whole thing on CD too (minus the talky bits), this is a wonderful and welcome bargain!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
My musical tastes cover a wide range of forms and im always willing to give something a listen on impulse.
This was one of those occasions.
I sadly acknowledge my ignorance of having never come across Loreena until fate put this release my way.
Just once in a while you come across something that literally leaves your jaw dropping upon the floor, this is one of those occasions.A beautiful voice, top drawer musicians and some gorgeous Celtic myth, folklore songs that will just leave you in total awe.Im even now, struggling to find words for this release. 2 cd, s and a dvd.What makes this so great is that you have the full show on both formats but in the dvd you have Loreena discussing the songs origins, which are edited out of the cd, s.I honestly cant recommend this set highly enough, it is that good, infact totally out of this world.
Beautiful ballads intermixed with some very upbeat songs, traditional instruments intermixed with electric guitar etc.
Believe me this is the real deal,18 stunning songs.
on 4 October 2007
Loreena's voice and the gifted musicians with her, makes me wish I had been there in person. But the recording is a fine substitute. If you already own most of the albums you will still want this. I have to say, the live recording and additional instruments add a wonderful new feel to what are already great tracks on their respective albums. Like another reviewer, I'm on to my 14-15th viewing in just the last few weeks. It is a great introduction for those new to Loreena Mckennitt, with a fine sample of her work. I love it!
on 10 February 2008
When I first heard the CD's it was readily apparent that the instrumental accompaniment was much richer. But Loreena's voice is just as dazzlingly beautiful and enchanting as ever.

However, when I watched the DVD - I was absolutely blown away!

The interaction of all on stage is phenomenal. You can see and feel the energy riding the musical currents that were created that night.

It is an awesome DVD and any who have only heard the CDs - I emphatically encourage you to get and watch/listen to the DVD.

Totally amazing!
on 21 August 2007
I have just ordered the Nights from the Alhambra CD & DVD set so I am actually reviewing it before I get it!! I do feel, however in a position to be able to do so as last September I had the immense luck to be present at the said recording at the Alhambra in Granada. I am 54 years old and in my youth I saw many of the greats live but I can in all honesty report that the Loreena Mckennit concert was the best and most magical I have ever been to. It was simply superb. Having been a fan of hers for nearly 20 years, it was immensely satisfying to see her performing live. As there were relatively few people in the audience, I think about 300, I was also able to speak to her and her musicians personally after the show and she was gracious and unassuming to all.
I look forward to receiving the set and cannot recommend her music highly enough.
on 12 July 2015
How can Loreena Mckennitt save me money I hear you say? Believe me when I say that this DVD, "Nights From The Alhambra" is so fantastic that you will simply want to watch and listen this Celtic/Mediterranean masterpiece over and over again. You will find that you can't put it down and quite simply it will absorb so much of your leisure that you won't want to spend money on anything else for some time! Read the reviews for they tell you everything about this wonderful production.
on 15 January 2015
Mathematically this DVD has a score of 4,96stars from 44 reviews, which is extraordinary. Ive been listening to Loreena since 91, but last 6-7 years I mostly listen to music from live shows, and she has made few things on DVD, nothing on BD. When I become able to buy from Amazon I found a complete new world and ordered this marvellous concert, recorded on a beautiful scenery.

I love irish music, so isnt it strange that the best performers of the lovely music aint irish! (no one offended). This nice and extremally talented woman, who has always gone her own direction (read wikipedia) have put together a big band of incredible professional musicians playing the best of irish folk music. And Loreena herself playing many different instruments and keep you glued to the screen with her voice with extremally high C. Astonishing. run for it!
on 25 August 2013
When I was looking at this on Amazon I didn't realise why it appeared to be listed twice. Turns out one is in a CD size case and the other version in a DVD size case - not an issue unless you have a strong preference for which case you get.
Concert well staged and looks impressive - LMcK diction could be clearer on a few tracks on the DVD - have still to listen to CDs to determine whether any difference.
However if you like LMcK, or just celtic folk music then this is a good set to have both the music and the film of the performance to enjoy.