Published on 3 May 2008 by Keith_Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for under 10s
The games were good for word practice, however i brought it with my 6 year old in mind, and really unless you have a very clever 6 year old then this is for older kids and adults. Its very difficult to find a learning to read and spell game for beginners. And with the 3+ rating on the box it really was not.
Published on 23 Feb 2010 by A. M. Hayward

4.0 out of 5 stars Got this for the kids as an educational ploy - and they play it, albeit rarely, 3 May 2008
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
My son (12) is a poor reader, whereas my daughter (13) reads about a book every two days. For twenty quid, I thought this must be worth a try as there are precious few decent fun & educational PC games suitable for your kids after they pass the age of 8 [and even fewer for the game consoles]. This game "is created in association with Dr Tom Cobb, Prof of Applied Linguistics - with words and definitions from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary [whatever that means]."

The word games are a bit like the brain training franchise. There's `missing letter' - the word has one letter missing and you simply freehand scribble the letter on the screen and you get a yes/no, and on to the next word - text recognition is good. In another you can 'match the word to the list of definitions'. Then there's 'word cereal' i.e. alphabet soup, where you drag out the letters and write a word on the edge of the plate. Plus there's `Block letters': a Tetris style stack up a word with dropping letters. And there's `Word Shuffle': match a word with definition using a different method to that previously [and some words don't have the correct definition shown]. And finally there's 'safecracker': spell the mystery word turning a dial to get them in the right order. As you progress through any game it gradually gets harder. There's also 'recreational games' that unlock as you progress through your word training. Plus you get a review of your progression [score up to 100] and booklet help on inputting letters freehand with the Wii remote.

All the games are also playable as multi-player (3 games are 2 player and the other 3 are 2 to 4 players). The games are actually fairly fun, and more importantly our kids do play them occasionally [particularly my daughter, and she certainly doesn't storm through it]. So for the first few weeks, this games been a success. We only have a handful of Wii games which helps. So I would recommend the `My Word Coach' for secondary school kids to adults [despite the 3+ rating the words are rather hard for under 10s, and even teenagers might struggle] - and naturally don't expect boys to choose it regularly over Mario Galaxy. Being younger, My dyslexic son naturally has the most trouble with the words, and he needs help all the time. The game looks good as well, and so far we haven't noticed words repeating - although often kids like to get the odd word they already know the answer to, as 'winning' is everything to them. See mywordcoach.com for further details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves Your Vocabulary!, 7 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
My Word Coach is a fantastic game where you can develop your vocabulary.
When you first start you get a friendly male trainer who gives you a test to see which words you know and don't know.
After this test you will receive a rank.
For instance you might gain the rank of graduate from primary school or a lawyer for instance.
Do not worry if you are embarrassed by your rank, you can improve it by playing lots of varieties of different activities that you get.
I will now explain this.
After you get your rank you can choose a trainer including the 1 you first see.
After choosing your trainer you get a few activities that if you practise with every day you can earn new activities and new icons like a progress chart.

Here are the 2 word training games that you start with.

Missing Letter: Fill in the missing letter by writing it with your Wii Remote.
Writing= Press and hold down the A Button or B Button and move the Wii Remote.
Letter Validation= after a slight delay, the letter you wrote on the screen will be confirmed.
Clear= If the letter is incorrect, swing the Wii Remote left and right quickly as if it was a board cleaner and you will clear the screen.
No Error= When you reach a higher difficulty level, some words will be spelled correctly.
If you think this is the case press the + Control Pad in any direction to confirm your decision.

Split Decision: The object of the game is to match the word at the top of the screen to its correct definition.
Tilt your Wii Remote left or right to see the different answers.
Viewing the Choices= Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to see the possible answers.
Confirm= Press the A Button to confirm the displayed answer.
Neither= When you reach a higher difficulty level, both answers may be incorrect.
If you think this is the case, press the B Button to confirm your decision.

When you a play a game a lot you will receive a harder difficulty level which makes the words even more challenging.
This sometimes makes 1 or 2 new controls in an activity.

Controlling "My Word Coach" Using a Nintendo DS: One of the unique features of "My Word Coach Develop your vocabulary" is that it allows you to use your Nintendo DS to play the single-player game of "Missing Letter" in wireless mode - all you need is a copy of the game for the Wii!
Here's how to connect your DS:
Start a Training Game of Missing Letter.
Move the cursor over the DS icon.
Press the A Button to confirm your choice.
Now you will be asked to turn ON your DS and touch DS Download Play.
Select the item with your Wii's name and wait until the download is complete.
Once complete, touch the Bottom screen to start and you will be able to write with your DS!
Use the Nintendo DS stylus to write letters on the Bottom screen in the same way you would with a paper and pencil, and watch as they appear on your television screen!
Note: You do not need a DS game card to play Missing Letter with your DS.
I think writing with your DS is easier than writing with the Wii Remote, as I find it harder because it sometimes shows up wrong when your trying to write a letter.

I and my sister got this as a gift to improve our vocabulary to use bigger words and improve our English.
It worked.

Overall this is a fun way to improve your vocabulary and is fun for all of the family but don't be fooled the words can be tricky!

I would recommend buying this game for children over the age of 10.
Lots of reviewers have also mentioned this as the easiest levels are quite difficult for young children.

Thank you for reading my review.
10/10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for under 10s, 23 Feb 2010
A. M. Hayward (UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars some good elements, but generally a miss, 31 July 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
Firstly, this is completely unsuitable for kids. Mine like the Wii, but have shown no interest at all in this. Second, it is severely hampered by difficulty entering the answer, even if you know it. This is a problem since so many games are against the clock. Trying to draw a letter symbol on screen and have it recognised by the game is not easy. This just irritates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Improve your Canadian English, 14 April 2010
Dave (Herne Bay, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
Unless I've managed to get a different version somehow, I'm surprised that other reviewers haven't commented on the fact that this game isn't in UK English but Canadian English.. and yes, it does make a difference! Many plants have different names (and spellings) and clay pigeon shooting is certainly different in Canada! How many English folk do you know that count using the term scroce?

Beyond this, the game is quite fun. I was worried that as an adult it would be far too easy but as soon as "Schadenfreude" came up on the first day, I suspected that I may have underestimated it (and probably the other reviewer who says its "OK for kids!").

I have to admit (as an adult) that I can't see us playing on this for long as the games are a bit repetitive and almost impossible on the higher levels (collecting letters from the soup AND working out what the mixed up letters might spell in the time given!). Use of the Wii remote for writing on screen becomes easier when you adopt the careless abandon of a graffiti artist, but again, you have to be quick (on the quick setting).

My experience is that the game has very quickly zoned in on an appropriate level... if it hasn't then I suspect that children would not find it much fun at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Coaching for who? Adults!, 20 July 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this game as we are nearing the summer holidays and I thought this would be a great way of keeping my 6 year old son interested words and help with his spelling.

We both found it very difficult to navigate using the wii handset. Having just completed his SATS at school my son was above average but the words that were appearing were not appropriate for him - that's having set it up for his age.
It is lacking a lot of fun. It would probably be easier to do on the DS format.
It was cheap - but a waste of money - I'm sure My son will not be tempted to play this again.

2.0 out of 5 stars age recomendations, 16 May 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
we bought this for our 6 year old, and while the package states suitable for 3 plus, the content was much too difficult for him. On the limited amount we have played on this I would suggest it is more suitable for 12 +

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complex for my son, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
The game has a 3+ rating, and I thought it would be good way of learning for my 5 year old. Alas, the easiest level in this game starts with missing letters in 10 letter words!!! It failed to interest even older children visiting us, and overall I found the rating misleading. I am hopeful my son would play with it when he is a bit older!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Teaching aid with games, 15 Jun 2009
Mrs. A. Leatherbarrow (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
The game on a whole is very good, the only draw back is the spray can you write with sometimes does not read what you have written correctly and you get a X for wrong instead of a tick for correct

4.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely working, 25 Oct 2008
Miss Preddy (Sundsvall, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Word Coach (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this game about a week ago, and whilst it's not nearly as addictive as Big Brain Academy, it is good at what it's supposed to do. You have to want to increase your word knowledge (and vocabulary) to play it, essentially. Overall a fun game, the graphics are a little on the cheesy side, but that doesn't take away from the game too much. One feature I liked was that you get asked whether English is your native language. This was particularly useful for us, as my boyfriend is Swedish, so his word lists were easier than mine (lucky him!).

My Word Coach (Wii)
My Word Coach (Wii) by Ubisoft (Nintendo Wii)
3.24